Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 04:13 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,255 times

Advertisements

This thread has gone on so long, members are arguing about home financing. The Southern Cross, that everybody confuses with the Confederate Flag, is a piece of history, nothing more. As far as my research can show, it never flew over a slave transport ship, the flag of the USA did however. I was never a slave, slave owner, nor have I known any. I would bet nobody else on here has either. The radical groups that use the Southern Cross as a symbol of hate, should be condemed as a group, along with their uneducated point of view, not the piece of history they have stolen. If they were not a group of mindless, inarticulate, idiots, led by those with no vision, they would have created their own symbol.

If we were to rid the world of flags that flew over oppressed people at one time, there would be few left. I have read the quote many times, "those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it". History is to be studied, and researched, not destroyed or banned. The Sothern Cross is just that, a small piece of history, nothing more.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcop View Post
This thread has gone on so long, members are arguing about home financing. The Southern Cross, that everybody confuses with the Confederate Flag, is a piece of history, nothing more. As far as my research can show, it never flew over a slave transport ship, the flag of the USA did however. I was never a slave, slave owner, nor have I known any. I would bet nobody else on here has either. The radical groups that use the Southern Cross as a symbol of hate, should be condemed as a group, along with their uneducated point of view, not the piece of history they have stolen. If they were not a group of mindless, inarticulate, idiots, led by those with no vision, they would have created their own symbol.

If we were to rid the world of flags that flew over oppressed people at one time, there would be few left. I have read the quote many times, "those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it". History is to be studied, and researched, not destroyed or banned. The Sothern Cross is just that, a small piece of history, nothing more.
And.............the fat lady has now sung

Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
And.............the fat lady has now sung
The curtain closes, pos rep dots to you. crashcop

Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 PM

27 posts, read 161,449 times
Default Come on people!!!

A flag is really just a piece of cloth with a design imprinted upon it. Its actual "meaning" is in the mind of the observer. To Americans, the US flag is a proud national symbol. To North Koreans, Cubans, and perhaps some Middle Easterns, it can symbolize something quite different. The Confederate flag can symbolize slavery to some, yet evoke a sense of pride to many a Southerner. The real issue is that there are many Southerners who deep down truly wish and believe that "The South Shall Rise Again". To those it represents a sense of pride and hope for the future, which in turn can evoke fear and disdain from others who don't particularly share their views.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:46 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
The real issue is that there are many Southerners who deep down truly wish and believe that "The South Shall Rise Again".
Guess what? It has already. Unless Presidents Johnson, Carter, Clinton and Dubya are all from Minnesota.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:00 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Guess what? It has already. Unless Presidents Johnson, Carter, Clinton and Dubya are all from Minnesota.
Johnson and Carter???

So the fact that Nixon, Ford, Bush Sr. and Reagan aren't "southern" means nothing??? That's about a 50/50 ratio over the last 30 years as far as whether our Presidents are "southern" or not.... Nothing extraordinary there I don't think...

Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Want to spark it up?

We don't fly the Confederate flag for the same reason we don't fly the Japanese flage. We kicked their ass too.

The south is going to rise again? I doubt it. They've enjoyed being part of the US for many years. So they're not real anxious to stir it up again. It's ok to have that background, but don't stir it up real tight. We'll come kick your ass again.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Want to spark it up?

We don't fly the Confederate flag for the same reason we don't fly the Japanese flage. We kicked their ass too.

The south is going to rise again? I doubt it. They've enjoyed being part of the US for many years. So they're not real anxious to stir it up again. It's ok to have that background, but don't stir it up real tight. We'll come kick your ass again.
And they say there aren't any rednecks north of the Mason Dixon line...

Yeah we don't want you to come "kick our a$$" again... That's the ticket...

Edit: LOL!!! Just read your rep comment..... Let's rumble... Glad you have a sense of humor...

Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 AM

12 posts, read 456,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
We're agreed. When I see the confederate rag the first image that comes to mind is Robt. E. Turncoat, the greatest dirtbag traitor in American history.

Here's what else comes to mind when I see that picture...an American traitor who should have met his end having his innards splayed out and dragged through the streets of his beloved Richmond.

But not before being force marched down the aisle to give away all four of his lily-white daughters in marriage to his most gristled former slaves.
George washington, Samuel Jackson, and the rest of the founding fathers of THIS nation were traitors. They went to war against the established government and country of Great Britain. That little Boston Tea Party was an act of treason AND terrorism toward not only the many loyalists here but to people throughout the British empire. Technically our war of revolution was a civil war. So before you defame the name of a great military general and gentleman and can also look past your own hypocricy and learn facts and not your own passionate ignorant based rage, dont try to diswade people from doing anything!

History favors the winners. Yeah we lost and most of us in the south have a complete knowledge that we'll never go back. I keep the flag to remember where I come from, my family history, the history of my state Virginia, and also to remember the people who dyed in that awful war for what they thought best.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,516 times
Default Confederate Flag

First of all, I'm a Northern Yankee with some sketchy knowledge of Civil War History, due to my son who was an avid CW History Buff. For reasons of his own, he leaned towards the South and the Southern Cause, revered Robert E. Lee and his Generals and constantly quenched his desire for self-education by reading, reading, reading. And by visiting the various Battlefields whenever he could, both North and South. His indepth knowledge of circumstances, skirmishes, battles, Commanders and Generals, troop placement, etc., was like having our own "personal tour guide" on the Battlefields. His knowledge surprised even me and his enthusiasm was contagious.

Because he was a "Southern Sympathizer" of sorts (I hope that's not a dirty word in this forum), I purchased for him one Christmas, the Confederate Flag which a relative obtained for me in Richmond, the Capital of the Confederacy. It was of good quality, approximately 3' X 5',well-made and he was absolutely thrilled to have received it. He expressed the desire to fly the flag at his home but his wife refused because she felt it would potentially cause conflicts in their neighborhood, although there were no blacks living there to protest.

Consequently, he never got to fly the Confederate Flag. He died tragically and unexpectedly not long after I presented him with that flag that he so cherished. As his parent, I took the liberty of having the flag placed in his coffin, enveloping him like a burial shroud. It was the last thing that I could ever do for him. My only regret is that I didn't have "Dixie" played for him at his funeral.

Last edited by GrayReb; 11-14-2007 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies