Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 09:55 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
Answer: I don't know about this. The more you talk , it seems like slavery had something to do with everything, but folks keep saying the war wasn't about slavery.
I think only a fool would say slavery was a non-issue wrt the civil war. The economic situation DC spoke of was a hub of the whole argument for secession. But slavery was an obvious factor in the whole lead up. It was like a planet orbiting around both sides' plays for politcal power. Slaveholders DID need to preserve it in order to maintain profitability of cotton under the economic situation imposed by the north. But I have a hard time coming to terms with which was truly the root cause: slavery or trade limitations. Without one, the other makes no difference. Both factors were needed to coalesce the civil war.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times
Slavery was crucial to the southern economy, even if most southerners actually were harmed by slavery and most people did not own slaves (though 1 in 4 households did- it was hardly rare). Just like now days outsourcing is crucial to multinational coroporations, even if it hurts alot of Americans. The sad reality is that most of those poor southern farmers supported slavery because it was unthinkable to do otherwise, the "system" that kept them poor also kept blacks slaves and it was to the benefit of the landed gentry to keep everybody in their place.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:50 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Slavery was crucial to the southern economy, even if most southerners actually were harmed by slavery and most people did not own slaves (though 1 in 4 households did- it was hardly rare). Just like now days outsourcing is crucial to multinational coroporations, even if it hurts alot of Americans. The sad reality is that most of those poor southern farmers supported slavery because it was unthinkable to do otherwise, the "system" that kept them poor also kept blacks slaves and it was to the benefit of the landed gentry to keep everybody in their place.
Indeed, very true.

I realized that my few posts in this thread had very little to do with the topic directly. I really have very little personal feelings on the flag. I respect that some people view it as a symbol of pride at being from the south. However, I respect also that some people view it as a symbol of slavery and detest it. I would never fly one, put one on my car, or anything. The only image of a conf. flag I've ever owned was when I was young and watched the Dukes of Hazard and had a toy general lee. I don't think that many of the current conf. flag wavers are bigots though I'm sure a fair number are.

Someone had mentioned quite a while ago in this thread changing the colors to red, black, and green. Now that's a version of the flag I might fly! To symbolize my pride in the south AND my hopes for the future of a better south where perhaps one day we really can say there is no more racism and we really are finally equal.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Cool Confederate flag is flown here

In my neighborhood in rural North Carolina the CSA flag is flown below the American flag. It is flown by farmers, merchants and homeowners, and NO not in "trailer parks" or other locales some of you equate with this flag. We personally don't fly it as we fly the American flag, NC state flag and the POW/MIA flag...but we don't object to others flying it either. In these days of hypocritical "political correctness" some forget that those who fly the CSA flag have the RIGHT to.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
*whew* I thought this thread had been closed, but in checking on a whim, I guess not.

Anyway, for the record, my own opinions -- as concerns the Confederate Battle Flag -- on everything related from Cause to Belief have been stated all over the place from page 5 to 50. And as concerns where I stand, my screen moniker probably sums it all up!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:48 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
*whew* I thought this thread had been closed, but in checking on a whim, I guess not.
Nah, I'm leaving this open as long as folks don't go and insult each other or start labeling the other side. This has more drama and twists/turns than anything outside of the Relationships Forum.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Nah, I'm leaving this open as long as folks don't go and insult each other or start labeling the other side. This has more drama and twists/turns than anything outside of the Relationships Forum.
In fact, I just came back in to offer an embarrased apology of sorts!

I confused THIS thread with another I had very frequently contributed to on the same subject. On THIS one, I made a mutual agreement with a worthy yankee opponent to stay out of! LOL (Here is that thread, by the way:
The Confederate Flag - how do you feel about it? )

For the record though, I revere the Confederate Battle Flag as a positive symbol of regional pride, heritage, and history! I realize others may not see it that way. All I ask is that they respect my feelings just as I will try and respect theirs!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:39 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Thumbs down well-

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'll admit, I've never quite understood the confederate flag thing (mostly do to my background, I have no family from the south and have rarely been there). I realize that this subject has and will be beaten to death over and over, but for some people it will always be a symbol of something other than bigotry and ignorance, for others it will never be.
You are lucky. I never realized its prevalence until living (temporarily) near Western North Carolina/NE Tennessee- take a drive through Hendersonville, beautiful mountains, yet the flag and 10 commandments on the lawn- everywhere.

Usually in front of the poorest housing. You never see this in subdivisions. I dont really get it, but it is a factor as to why I am moving.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
You are lucky. I never realized its prevalence until living (temporarily) near Western North Carolina/NE Tennessee- take a drive through Hendersonville, beautiful mountains, yet the flag and 10 commandments on the lawn- everywhere.

Usually in front of the poorest housing. You never see this in subdivisions. I dont really get it, but it is a factor as to why I am moving.
Must be awful for you! Gut gotamighty, hells fire and save the matches! Imagine that! The Ten Commandments and folks flying a Flag representing their heritage and history??? Double eeks! Horrors...ARRRRGH, chokes, strangles me own self....!

Oh well, Regardless, you have a safe trip back up nawth, you heah?

And remember as you hit the road, it is folks like you who make me awful damn proud to be Texas/Southern born and bred. For that? I can't thank you enough!

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-20-2008 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-20-2008, 12:51 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,673 times
Default nothing wrong with the Confederate Flag

Their is nothing wrong with the Confederate Flag, My flag will be flying high and proud tomorrow morning....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies