Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 01:10 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Their is nothing wrong with the Confederate Flag, My flag will be flying high and proud tomorrow morning....
After reading some of the anti confederate flag posts and other commentary in this thread, so will mine...just below the American flag...and proudly so!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:32 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
There are three flags I am proud to fly.

United States, Texas, and Confederate Battle Flag.

I apologize to no man, woman, kiddo, nor stray dog for the priviledge.

And I'll speak my Southern English jess' as nat'chrul as I please!

"In Dixieland, I'll take my stand
To Live and Die in Dixie
Away, Away, Away Down South in Dixie"

Old 01-20-2008, 05:57 PM

230 posts, read 583,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Wars are rarely fought over a single issue. Slavery was one of the issues involved in the Civil War. Money and power were also issues. I think when people say that the war wasn't about slavery, it's because moral issues actually rarely cause wars, but they are often taken up as reasons for the war, especially by the victors. One of the spoils of war is that the winner gets to historically record one point of view. One point of view is that the war was about slavery. Another point of view, the more Southern POV is that the war was about federal versus states rights. What I've tried to convey is that neither argument is completely wrong or right.
Good points.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,856 times
Default Offended

As someone Scots-born and proud I am disgusted and embarassed by the narrow-mindedness of those who hate the Confederate flafg. That flag has the colours of my country's flag on it - and yes although it is an anglicised version it also bears the Irish flag. It is a Celtic flag and I abhor anyone who says that a Celtic flag bears racist hatred and KKK references. We Scots do not want the KKK to abuse our flag. Furthermore with all the killing the USa has done under its star spangled banner - including its own people in New York (yes I'm talking 9/11), those 'offended' by the Confederate battle flag are hypocrites.

So what if the South had won? Maybe we wouldnt have the economic crisis and wars between East and West we have today? Thought of that?
I own and proudly too the Confederate Battle Flag along with other CSA flags. The War was not about slavery - Lincoln got afraid when Europe, including England, decided to recognise the CSA as a legitimate nation - that man abused the rights of the African-Americans to his own means.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I don't have a problem with seeing the confederate flag on battlefields, in parades in museums, civil war cemetaries or even private property down south. If I see it up north, then I think its owner is probably a loser or just anti social. But I may give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's a transplant from the south.
I wouldn't ban it. It's not like a swastika. I wouldn't ban the mexican flag either from events even though I put it on the same level as the confederate flag.
Sometimes people just want attention and want to annoy others and some people get easily upset and over react. Neither can be allowed to influence the rest of us, so ignore them.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
It symbolizes division.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:19 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicScot View Post
As someone Scots-born and proud I am disgusted and embarassed by the narrow-mindedness of those who hate the Confederate flafg. That flag has the colours of my country's flag on it - and yes although it is an anglicised version it also bears the Irish flag. It is a Celtic flag and I abhor anyone who says that a Celtic flag bears racist hatred and KKK references. We Scots do not want the KKK to abuse our flag. Furthermore with all the killing the USa has done under its star spangled banner - including its own people in New York (yes I'm talking 9/11), those 'offended' by the Confederate battle flag are hypocrites.

So what if the South had won? Maybe we wouldnt have the economic crisis and wars between East and West we have today? Thought of that?
I own and proudly too the Confederate Battle Flag along with other CSA flags. The War was not about slavery - Lincoln got afraid when Europe, including England, decided to recognise the CSA as a legitimate nation - that man abused the rights of the African-Americans to his own means.
Neither England nor France ever recognized the South as a legitimate nation. In fact, southern envoys to England and France were cordially ignored. Read your history!

The rest of your post cannot be logically debated as it makes absolutely no sense!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:27 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
The Confederate Flag Symbolizes a culture of slavery and priveledge for white landowners. It is FINE as a historical object, but should not and does not reflect our current governmental ideals, and should not be displayed in the context of "modern" government. Doesn't each state have a "state flag" that is seperate from the Confederate Flag?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:16 AM

42 posts, read 147,158 times
So does the American flag also represent slavery since it flew for what 200 years?
Even better, maybe the American flag should also be considered racist in Maryland, Delaware, and West Virginia since slavery remained legal during the war? In fact, the Emancipation Proclamation freed only slaves in the south where the confederacy had control. if we were relying on the proclamation still today, then blacks would still be in slavery in delaware, kentucky, maryland, missouri, tennessee, part of virginia, and art of louisiana.

What about the fact that the KKK by laws say an american flag must be present at all functions, but does not specify a dixie flag. Anyone see the famous million klan march photo in front of the capital. Only American flags!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:17 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Neither England nor France ever recognized the South as a legitimate nation. In fact, southern envoys to England and France were cordially ignored. Read your history!

The rest of your post cannot be logically debated as it makes absolutely no sense!
That isn't true, did you even read about the Trent Affair? Basically England threatened to invade the Union if they didn't stop interfering with British-Confederate diplomats. You should also remember that the British were still sore after the war of 1812, their ambitions were the same.

Both countries discussed support of the South, especially England (they wanted to annex the North to Canada, remember?). They both [England and France, Spain and Italy as well] needed convincing that the Southern cause had a snowball in hell's chance of winning, just like during the Revolution. Both Britain and France ran most of the Confederacy's blockade running operations.

Even though Lincoln never recognized the South as an independent nation, he blockaded the Confederacy, thereby, per de facto international law of the time, recognized them as a nation (oops!).

Perhaps it is you who needs to learn some history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies