Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 03:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times

Advertisements

Are you all being deliberately insensitive, or do you just not know any better?

Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM

898 posts, read 1,401,469 times
Hurrah!
Hurrah!
For Southern rights, hurrah!
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

YouTube - Bonnie Blue Flag

No, I'mneither a rebel nor a white supremacist. But I do like old battle songs. I'm as Yankee as Yankee gets, living here in the fine state of Maine.

Now, back on topic. Flying a Confederate flag is as much a right protected by the first amendment as is burning the Stars and Stripes. There are people that would consider either offensive, but freedom is more important to protect than hurt feelings.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,521 times
To clear a couple things up, the Confederate flag that everyone sees being flown is actually not the true Confederate flag. It was the Confederate Battle Flag.

There were 3 major "official" flags of the Confederate nation from 1861 to 1865, but many people only know of the "Battle Flag", which was not a national flag at all.

This is one example of several variations of aSecession Flag that was flown in South Carolina.

On the morning of 4 March 1861 large models of the proposed flags were hung on the walls of the Congressional chamber. The First National Flag "The Stars and Bars" was adopted on the same day it was to be raised over the capitol at Montgomery. A flag made of soft merino wool was completed within two hours of it's adoption by the Congress. The very first flag of the Confederate States of America was raised by Miss Letitia Christian Tyler, grand- daughter of President John Tyler. Six weeks later it was flying over Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor.

The Original First National Flag of the Confederacy can still be seen today at Beauvoir, which is the Jefferson Davis Memorial and Shrine, located in Biloxi, Mississippi, on the Gulf Coast Highway. It had 7 stars in a circle on a blue field, to represent the 7 states of the CSA. Later versions would have 11 stars and then eventually 13 stars as other states were admitted to the Confederacy. The bars consisted of two red and one white.

In their hurry to adopt a flag and have it ready the same afternoon, the Congress forgot to enact a flag law. Nowhere in the statute books of the Confederate States is a Flag Act of 1861. In official use for over two years, the Stars and Bars was never established as the Confederate Flag by the laws of the land. The Stars and Bars flag was replaced in 1863 by the "Stainless Banner"

The First National "The Stars and Bars"
(4 March 1861-1 May 1863)

At the first great battle of Mannassas 21 July 1861 General Joseph E Johnston had overall command of the Army of Northern Virginia, but the greater parts of the actual planning and field operations were conducted by General P.G.T. Beauregard. On several occasions during the fighting, confusion was caused by the inability of commanders to distinguish their troops from that of the enemy. There were too many similarities in uniforms and the Confederate stars and bars (1st national flag) looked similar to the Union Stars and Stripes, add this to the dust and smoke of battle, it combined into a confusing battle to fight or command.

CSA Battle Flag

"The Southern Cross"

(November 1861-present)

Some of the regimental flags would have the regimental designation painted in gold on the blue cross above and below the central star. The regimental battle honors were painted in blue on the red field of the flag. Further researchers point out that most ANV flags were unmarked by honors or unit designations. Only those units in the 1863 divisions of D.H. Hill, A.P. Hill and Ed Johnson (issued April, May and September 1863 respectively) had flags done with the gold letters over the center stars and blue honors on the field. Pickett's Division received flags in June 1863 with white painted unit designations on their fields. Some brigades, like Cox's NC Brigade, Kershaw's SC Brigade and a few others had their own flags done in particular manners, most with honors only, either painted on the flag in white or blue letters or sewn on strips.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:50 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Yeah, I know all that Junky.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:01 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, I know all that Junky.
But, many in here don't know it and they show their ignorance of which flag is which when they post the idiocy so many post.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:09 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
But, many in here don't know it and they show their ignorance of which flag is which when they post the idiocy so many post.
Not only that, but they don't care. Their opinions aren't based on a particular flag--whichever one they think of as the Confederate flag is the one they're supporting.

I look at it this way: you want to wave that flag in everyone's face, go right ahead. But don't act surprised when you get some of the reactions you do.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:17 PM

37,164 posts, read 19,170,135 times
What I do know is that the Neonazis fly the CBF next to a flag with a large swastika on it, and in a lot of minds the two have come to mean the same thing.

The Nazis are supported by the KKK, and the SCV has refused to take them to task for co-opting the CBF as a white supremacist symbol.

So much for the "Heritage" faction of the SCV. They are being crowded out by the Klan, and leaving the Confederate flag behind.

This appalls me. My great-great grandfather was Captain Henry Williamson Dizon of the 6th S.C. Regiment. He fought honorably at the Second Manassas, and was sounded in his shoulder by a sniper near Richmond while walking home. My family were never slaveowners. They were small farmers and merchants. Family legend has it that he joined the Confederacy to get away from the drudgery of the farm and staring up the business end of a loaded mule every day in the lower forty.

At any rate, he served honorably, and at the end of his life was sending money to Florida to support a former slave owned by a friend of his who had come to work for him after he was freed. He would not approve of the current use of the CBF, and neither do I. It is time for it to find it's proper resting place in a museum after nearly 150 years and not be flown for the purpose of offending others.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:22 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,371,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
.......However, I think that is the whole point of people who choose to display the flag; a wink and nod to those who idealize the "Old South".

End of story.
That's the problem -- you think that is what people who display the flag think. To most people I know -- the Confederate flag does NOT represent racism to them.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:34 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
That's the problem -- you think that is what people who display the flag think. To most people I know -- the Confederate flag does NOT represent racism to them.
I think the majority of whites who fly the Confederate flag are not racist. Its just a cultural thing as far as I can see. No different from Mexican Americans flying the flag of Mexico in the southwest.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:16 AM

37,164 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I think the majority of whites who fly the Confederate flag are not racist. Its just a cultural thing as far as I can see. No different from Mexican Americans flying the flag of Mexico in the southwest.
The Mexican flag is a symbol of a country that still exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies