Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 10:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern dude View Post
Euro-Americans are the most hated, belittled, and unfairly treated bunch. Where is your fairness?
While I defend the Confederate flag because of its historical importance, I can't let this comment pass. Euro-Americans may be hated by some groups, but if there is unfairness in their treatment, it is in that for what pretty much encompasses the entire history of the United States, Euro-Americans have enjoyed tremendous privilege and advantages that have been denied others simply because of the hue of their pigmentation. While IMO Euro-Americans are no more racist than any other group of Americans, they really don't experience the damage that racism causes. Yes, there is racism on all sides, yes, there are programs in place that promote discrimination on the basis of color, and there are all sorts of silly "politicallly correct" group-thinks going on. But the incidents of Euro-Americans being on the short end of the stick when it comes to discrimination are few in comparison with the institutionalized discrimination that affects other races.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
While I defend the Confederate flag because of its historical importance, I can't let this comment pass. Euro-Americans may be hated by some groups, but if there is unfairness in their treatment, it is in that for what pretty much encompasses the entire history of the United States, Euro-Americans have enjoyed tremendous privilege and advantages that have been denied others simply because of the hue of their pigmentation. While IMO Euro-Americans are no more racist than any other group of Americans, they really don't experience the damage that racism causes. Yes, there is racism on all sides, yes, there are programs in place that promote discrimination on the basis of color, and there are all sorts of silly "politicallly correct" group-thinks going on. But the incidents of Euro-Americans being on the short end of the stick when it comes to discrimination are few in comparison with the institutionalized discrimination that affects other races.
So, then, you wouldn't mind if your neighbor flew a Hammer and Sickle on his flagpole?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So, then, you wouldn't mind if your neighbor flew a Hammer and Sickle on his flagpole?
Actually, I wouldn't. Though the Hammer and Sickle isn't an integral part of American history, I fully support my neighbor's right of free speech, and flying a flag is an exercise of free speech. Burning the flag is as well. Freedom isn't just about doing whatever you like, it's about respecting your fellow human beings. It's my neighbor's flagpole, he can fly his underwear for all I care.

Instead, my neighbor sits outside with his buddies tossing beer cans into the grass. He doesn't mow because then he'd have to pick up the beer cans. And he keeps a refrigerator outside on his deck because it's too exhausting to go into the house for more beer. Oh well.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Wonder why I've never seen a Confederate flag burning anywhere in the world?

Maybe it's because it doesn't represent the Yankees.

But, alas, the Yankees won the Pennant.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,422 times
I Have a LOT of Respect for the Flags of the Confederate States of America and to see a picture of two Young Black Women in beach wear that uses the Southern Cross as a pattern shows me that they and the designer of their beach wear have no regard, understanding or knowledge of History.
How many Black men who will pursue these Women know of what they are wearing?
It is also easy to see that these two Women are of mixed race and therefore should be more attentive to such Social Consciousness Issues.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 PM

Good post james t!!!!!! Fly the crosses with pride!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:13 PM

Good post james t!!!!! Fly the crosses with pride!!!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:58 AM

130 posts, read 265,377 times
I'm tired of the liberal Americans telling me what I can and Can't do! I will fly a Confederate Flag because Americans are so ignorant they actually want to banish this flag and take away our freedoms...... Whats next your vocabulary offends me so should be ban it or you pink shirt offends me so should we ban that....... WAKE UP AMERICA STOP GVING YOUR FREEDOMS UP! IF YOU DONT LIKE SOMETHING SIMPLY LOOK AWAY DONT TRY AND BAN IT BECAUSE SOONER OR LATER SOMETHING WILL BE BANNED THAT YOU RESPECT.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,670 times
While it may be true that EVERYONE displaying a confederate flag is technically NOT racist, for the most part, those proud of the confederate flag ARE indeed racial and bigoted. Where I am from, racism is rampant among those proud confederate displayers. Too often it is used as a symbol for white supremacy. That's why the kkk and nazi-aryan-skinheads display it so frequently. When I see someone bearing that symbol, my first reaction is to be very cautious as I have had too many bad experiences with that symbol. Certain white supremacists worship that flag like an idol. They feel united in brotherhood when they see others with that symbol--white racist, honky lovin, hypocritical bigots with personal problems too big for them to handle so they have to find a scapegoat to blame. A word of advice to those bigots--therapy, medication, or learn how to love people or a combination of the three. The choice is yours--be a moronic idiot or be a REAL human being.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:43 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,515 times
I would like someone to give me a valid reason why they fly the confederate, aside from "because I can."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies