Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You have to be delusional if you think its going to solve problems... the drug dealers will just sell it cheaper and without tax...
You have to be delusional if you actually believe this...READ A HISTORY BOOK. Is the Gambino Crime Family in charge of liquor in New York or is it controlled by large, tax-paying, multi-national corporations? How about Chicago? Is "The Outfit" still in charge of running all beer in and out of town? No...it's Budweiser, Miller, Coors and the rest.

This kind of "thinking" (quotes because it's neither rational or intelligent) is what has kept pot illegal for 70+ years while far more dangerous drugs are advertised on television like Vioxx.

People wont risk prosecution to buy bootleg weed if it's available at the Corner Store. Just like they wont buy moonshine when they can buy a bottle of Jack Daniels, even if the JD costs more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,250,639 times
Just releasing people convicted of possessing weed would save CA lots of bucks. I hope if this passes, Oregon follows suit. We already have legalized medical marijuana, and I understand it's pretty easy to get a prescription. IMHO, alcoholism is a far greater danger to society than marijuana. Look for the influx of money from the alcohol lobby to fight the enactment of this law.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,154 times
If you knew anything about the Netherlands debate, you would know that there is a significant part of the Parliament that believes the reason why gangs have crept in is because the laws are too strict, not too lenient. Remember, it's still a crime to sell and grow pot in The Netherlands, so there are still criminal gangs responsible for the trafficking and growth of marijuana due to the astronomical demand for pot. If FULLY LEGALIZED where farmers would be able to announce that they have a marijuana farm and could pay taxes on their production/sales, then there would be no crime associated with marijuana.

The other crimes related to drugs are related to hard drugs, which is a completely different debate. I personally see no purpose in giving money to the murderous cartels that operate 10 miles from my front door (I can see Tijuana from my office) for Heroin and Cocaine, when people do that junk anyways. I find those drugs to be incredibly toxic to both mind and body, but they are more toxic to society in their illegality than in their effects. The crackhead on my corner is an annoyance, the 100 murders in Tijuana since New Years is a danger to my safety as it continues to spill over the border. Legalize it all, and these criminal gangs lose their funding, the Taliban loses its funding, terrorists lose their funding...how can anyone not see that?

Old 02-24-2009, 01:21 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,572 times
I completely support legalization, despite not partaking myself, but unfortunately, the feds will cite the supremacy clause in saying that federal statutes are indeed a higher law then anything enacted by state legislatures. Does the federal government have the right to outlaw marijuana completely? Probably not, as long as it's grown, transported, and sold within state boundaries (thus not falling under congressional control on interstate commerce). The 10th amendment would seem to indicate that federal government should not be able to regulate cannabis, since it's not a power expressly granted to them by the constitution, but they won't let that stop them.

Interesting videos on topic:

YouTube - Raiding California: Medical Marijuana and Minors

YouTube - GUILTY - A Verdict in the Charlie Lynch Case

Old 02-24-2009, 01:32 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,506,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
IMHO, alcoholism is a far greater danger to society than marijuana.
I agree 100% I always saw alcohol as a hard drug

Pot and other illegal drugs are already taxed. I believe in Tennessee it brought in over 1 million dollars. That's a lot of money considering not everyone knows you have to get a tax stamp in certain states for your illegal drugs or they know but are too scared to do it.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:32 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,522,561 times
If Obama really wanted to stimulate the economy, he would just decriminalize this, make it legal, with significant regs. and tax it.
This does not excite me too much about CA, since, even if it passed, the Feds would go kooko to try to enforce their laws over it anyway.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,679,594 times
mmm oh yes if it moves tax it, clearly legalizing pot will fix the spending problems of california.
I am for legalizing it to save money on police and prisions no reason to tax it.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:12 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,375,404 times
State Medical Cannabis Laws are Final!
Return of Legal Cannabis Not Pre-empted by Federal Law
The U.S. Supreme Court refused to review a landmark decision yesterday in which California state courts found that its medical cannabis law is not preempted by federal law. The Supreme Court's decision in Garden Grove v. Superior Court means that federal law does not prevent state and local governments from implementing medical cannabis laws adopted by voters or state legislatures. In short: federal law does not override state law on medical cannabis!

MMPI

Old 02-24-2009, 04:10 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,341,892 times
I wouldn't start packing to move to Ca. just yet Arnold will not sign it. He will terminate the bill.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,912,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The illegal liquor trade is more prevalent than most people think.
I've worked in a dry country and now work on a dry island. Bootleggers are alive and doing very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies