Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Oh my God,
I'm absolutely shocked
I'm sure you are - not knowing that Bubba actually initiated the spy program. Convenient, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I'm sure you are - not knowing that Bubba actually initiated the spy program. Convenient, huh?
Though I am uncomfortable with wiretapping of any sort, I am much MORE bothered by Bush's usage of wiretapping without even going through the nominal subpoena request from the FISA courts. The FISA court has rarely, if ever, turned down a subpoena request, and, in fact, allows retroactive subpoenas to 72 hours. Knowing this, why would the Bush administration have felt they needed to simply skip the legal process required by our laws and Constitution?

So, while Bubba did some things with which I disagree, it's Bush's deliberate disdain of the Constitution that upsets me.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
And whatever gave you the idea that us "so-called" republicans are supporters of Bush? And does Bush having been a bad president give Obama a free pass? Stop confusing true conservatives with neocons.

I like the flashy-thing analogy though. Kind of like how it was used on Democrats that forgot how they claimed to be so vehemently against corruption in Washington, at least until it turned out some of Obama's picks had some dirty little secrets... Pot meet kettle.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:27 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Anybody knows who used "The flashy thing" from Men in Black on republicans?

Where the hell were you the last 8 years?
Does any republican remember that Bush was president 5 weeks ago?

I can't believe the things that republicans are saying:
- We need to lower taxes to fix the economy (Didn't Bush do that for 8 years)
- What the hell is "The Obama recession" (Anybody remember Bush saying "The economy is on a downturn" for 1 whole year?)
- Anybody remembers Bush's $700 billion gift to the banks? Why didn't republicans stand up to Bush the way they are standing up to Obama.
- Republicans want to "Defend conservative principles". Why didn't you do that the last 8 years?
- Anybody remember that Bush came to power with a surplus and left the US in recession with a record deficit of $1.3 trillion.
- Republicans oppose building infrastructure in the US. Did they forget that they supported building schools and roads in Iraq?
- Republicans blame Obama for losing jobs in the US. Did you forget that Bush helped companies move their factories to his beloved communist China.
Your giving them to much credit, they don't believe in science. What we have here is the genius of blind folds and earplugs combined with a spring as a neck with a trigger mechanism that causes their heads to bobble to right wing talking points.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Who was the one that started the wiretapping?
I know what you are gonna say ... the president before Obama = Clinton
Yep, you are right about Clinton on this one.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,822 times
so ok libs, since clinton started this spying and bush abused it. now obama is continuing to use it. which is it ? spying, or phone tapping yes or no. I dont care who did it first or worse. yes or no? myself, use it. and for the record they are NOT listening to grandma talking to the kids.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
***- Anybody remembers Bush's $700 billion gift to the banks? Why didn't republicans stand up to Bush the way they are standing up to Obama.***

Dopo, I remember that one. I also remember that more Republicans in the Senate voted against it than voted for it with a 100% vote from the Dems. Yep, the Dems took that request from Bush that took 3 pages and turned it into hundreds of pages full of earmarks. Yessir for some reason I do remember that one. It seems like the House turned it down on the first try. How can you people keep blaming Bush for that when Nasty Nancy and Dirty Harry changed it so drastically to make it into pure pork? I think it is selective remembering. How about you?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Dopo, I remember that one. I also remember that more Republicans in the Senate voted against it than voted for it with a 100% vote from the Dems. Yep, the Dems took that request from Bush that took 3 pages and turned it into hundreds of pages full of earmarks.
You leave off one important piece of information at least.

Yep, the Dems took that request from Bush that took 3 pages and turned it into hundreds of pages full of earmarks.

-- earmarks added in order to get the republican votes needed.

I'm not exactly thrilled with how the bailout went - where'd the money go Paulson? However, what I don't know is if things would have been worse without it. I'm not sure anyone can answer that question.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
lol at op getting pwned in his own thread. Knowledge is power, or as any good lawyer would say, "never ask a question that you don't know the answer to."

Old 02-24-2009, 12:05 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I was watching a re-run of Conan O'brien tonight, it must have been an old one judging by the movies they said were just coming out. In it he spoke about our President Bush. It gave me a chill to think of going back to that time.

The reality is if the Republicans couldn't live in denial about the state of the country at Bush's hands, then I don't know how they would justify even belonging to the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies