Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:52 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I'd speculate the racism of a city correlates fairly closely to it's percentage black.

Fairly easy for folks in largely white areas to talk inclusiveness when they don't actually have to live with it.

But folks that are in places like Detroit, et. al. can see it close up. The more of it they see, the more they are compelled to be racist.
That's a reason why IMO, the most racist area/city in the USA is either Milwaukee or Detroit. I learned last nite, that the % of blacks in the Milwaukee area, that lives in the suburbs, is less than 3%, while the % of those in the city is about 40%. That's not good.
Detroit is just like that. 80% black population in the city, but maybe 10% in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,026 times
Corrections!
No the inner city schools are all black. Excuse me.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I was just reading an article that was followed up by 350 comments. Often, when I ask this question to myself however, I wonder if there really is such a thing in the US?
At least towards blacks and hispanics. Other racial groups, like Native Americans or Asians, may not experience racism in certain cities, since there are almost none of those groups in that town, which actually may work out in their favor, at least socially.
I guess my question is, is there really no such thing as a least (or most) racist city in the US?
If there is, I would say, IMO (I've been an all but two states and have seen just about every major metro area, 1 millon plus at least once), the least racist is San Francisco (if you count smaller metros, under 1 million, but more than 100k though) I would say it's Anchorage.
Most racist? Either Milwaukee or Detroit.
BTW, the 350 or more comments out the article I read, the city most mentioned was.....Boston.
Maybe in the 70's, but not now.
Most racist city is probably wherever the is a large black population that is committing a lot of crimes... least racist city is probably a large black population that doesn't commit a lot of crimes... racism nowadays is different from the old days (although the old-time racists still do exist)... its more based on what one racial group does now rather than who they are and they are generalized for it... if black people promote using drugs and committing crimes and then go out and do just that, its going to come back and give them a negative light... you reap what you sow...

Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I'd speculate the racism of a city correlates fairly closely to it's percentage black.
That's stupid,
it's not about the % of black people,
it's about whether or not everybody in X city has or "did have" the opportunity to work and become successful.

St. Louis is about 50% black, and it seems to me much less racist than other cities with lower black population.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:17 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
if black people promote using drugs and committing crimes and then go out and do just that, its going to come back and give them a negative light... you reap what you sow...
You've been watching too much TV. I lived in St. Louis (50% black) and you see black people every 5 minutes driving by in luxury cars.

Going back to the TV stuff,
tell me how many movies have you where they showed a young smart black guy that went to college, married his girlfriend and after graduating from college bought a nice house and had a few kids with his wife.

I've seen about 1 million movies like with white people.
I bet I can count with 1 hand how many I've seen like that with black people.
Keep in mind, they are actors.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:12 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Cities with low percentages of minorities but more Liberal populations are less likely to be racist towards those minorities. And it has to do with the cultural clustering of said minorities. A small minority population is forced to assimilate and flies under the radar, as the population gets larger, assimilation becomes less common, and the minorities develops its own subculture or in worse cases, counterculture. And as this population grows, the amount of striation grows and the amount of resentment grows.

I would illustrate this as a curve, with the vertical being "Resentment" and the lateral being "Population of minority". Of course if the amount of wealth is disproportional it exacerbates.

Based on this, I would call a city like Portland or Seattle(Big cities but relatively white, still Liberal) the least racist but a city like Philadelphia(half and half) the worse case scenario for stratification.

Some people would call this evidence against diversity but I would argue that a city with two ethnic groups dominating the demographics is not very diverse at all. In actuality, a more diverse city in which all populations are represented evenly and no one group dominated totally would be a far better situation than one with two dominant groups. Simply because it's more practical to have everyone fall into one dominant cultural/ethical group or have none at all than for each to try to propagate it's own(which would work in theory but doesn't work in practice, in America at least).

Old 02-25-2009, 01:57 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Uh, last I checked...black students only made up 28% of HISD.
HISD's mostly Hispanic.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I post San Antonio as least racist,
the bad thing is that it has a very small black and asian population compared to most cities.

But it's a city that seems 1/2 hispanic, 1/2 white and you find all kind of people (including black and asian) living in any neighborhood.

I moved to San Antonio about 6 months ago from Missouri and I can't believe how homogenous the city is (You find all type of people everywhere)
I think over 60% of the pop there identifies as Hispanic. The large military presence there contributes largely to its diversity.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:06 AM

Least racist - Denver

Most racist - Metro Detroit

Old 02-25-2009, 04:34 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Harrisonville Arkansas Prides it's self on being a place that does'nt want blacks to live there . whites come to retire there because they know the city is unwelcoming to black people. (there was a TV special on this city 20/20?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies