Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

I was just reading an article that was followed up by 350 comments. Often, when I ask this question to myself however, I wonder if there really is such a thing in the US?
At least towards blacks and hispanics. Other racial groups, like Native Americans or Asians, may not experience racism in certain cities, since there are almost none of those groups in that town, which actually may work out in their favor, at least socially.
I guess my question is, is there really no such thing as a least (or most) racist city in the US?
If there is, I would say, IMO (I've been an all but two states and have seen just about every major metro area, 1 millon plus at least once), the least racist is San Francisco (if you count smaller metros, under 1 million, but more than 100k though) I would say it's Anchorage.
Most racist? Either Milwaukee or Detroit.
BTW, the 350 or more comments out the article I read, the city most mentioned was.....Boston.
Maybe in the 70's, but not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 01:55 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Ever been to Abq or Santa Fe? I have never experienced it here.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:30 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,237 times
i would say new orleans is the most racist. if i tried walking through those neighborhoods in the third ward i would probably not survive. therefore....my pick is new orleans. but i am white.....and it doesn't seem like it is acceptable for me to think black people can be racist. in my opinion, they are more racist than white people.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
From my own experience: MOST racist is Chicago, Illinois. Much of the city is very strictly segregated- not only by race but even ethnicity. And they have very active Klan, skinhead and Nazi groups (at least in the 80s when I lived there). In fairness there are some liberal areas such as the north lakefront, Hyde Park and Evanston.
The LEAST racist is probably Minneapolis-St Paul Minn. I have not lived there but it has a reputation for being racially liberal.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:42 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
i would say new orleans is the most racist. if i tried walking through those neighborhoods in the third ward i would probably not survive. therefore....my pick is new orleans. but i am white.....and it doesn't seem like it is acceptable for me to think black people can be racist. in my opinion, they are more racist than white people.

I wouldn't survive in the third ward either.......and I have relatives there. That has nothing to do with race.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
From my own experience: MOST racist is Chicago, Illinois. Much of the city is very strictly segregated- not only by race but even ethnicity. And they have very active Klan, skinhead and Nazi groups (at least in the 80s when I lived there). In fairness there are some liberal areas such as the north lakefront, Hyde Park and Evanston.
The LEAST racist is probably Minneapolis-St Paul Minn. I have not lived there but it has a reputation for being racially liberal.
In parts of Alabama(cant remember where) is probably the biggest concentration of modern day kkk/skin head/nazi groups. A damn shame that people like this still exist.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:52 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
Yes and that includes the majority of other races. It's not PC though to say that minorities can be racist towards Whites. Start a thread on which States are the most racist towards Whites and the PC crowd will come out of the walls. LOL.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
In parts of Alabama(cant remember where) is probably the biggest concentration of modern day kkk/skin head/nazi groups. A damn shame that people like this still exist.
I have no use for any of those violent groups. My question is then why does the Black Panthers Organization still exist??

Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,257 times
That's a great question, the NAACP too. David Duke founded the "National Association for the Advancement of White People" to prove a point.

The NAAWP was quickly called a racist hate group, but the NAACP isn't? Even worse the Black Panthers.

Get rid of all these race based group altogether! They are all racist!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
That's a great question, the NAACP too. David Duke founded the "National Association for the Advancement of White People" to prove a point.

The NAAWP was quickly called a racist hate group, but the NAACP isn't? Even worse the Black Panthers.

Get rid of all these race based group altogether! They are all racist!
Thanks, I neglected to mention the other groups such as NAACP which is as racist as it can be. We'll not even mention Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies