Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 06:09 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Which Civil War? Where is it? Are they handing out 18th century coon hunting rifles to Southerners again? (And I know where I can git some Confederate money if'n I have to.)
Lol, them "coon hunting rifles" in the hands of southerners inflicted twice the number of northern caualties as were recieved by the south by northern "marksmanship". I didn't realize that this was an urban elitist bash the south thread just because it brings up a hypothetical about the possibility of "civil war".. I guess some folks will take any opportunity to post somewhere as an outlet for their hatred and contempt for a demographic group they personally find beneath them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
The South stupidly picked a fight with the Union. What else is there to say? The political leadership of the Confederacy were mentally stunted but had big cajones. Look what it got them.

The idea today of a "civil war" is a variant of a Hollywood male dominant gun fantasy. American society will fall apart across the board, if anything, not from secessions. See the book The Nine Nations of North America about the regional economies that will likely come into play.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:52 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
The South stupidly picked a fight with the Union. What else is there to say? The political leadership of the Confederacy were mentally stunted but had big cajones. Look what it got them.

The idea today of a "civil war" is a variant of a Hollywood male dominant gun fantasy. American society will fall apart across the board, if anything, not from secessions. See the book The Nine Nations of North America about the regional economies that will likely come into play.
Well, I believe I already espoused my opinion as to the likelyhood of an actual "civil war" in earlier posts. Did you read the whole thread? At any rate I'm not posting in here to debate the War of Secession. Personally I don't have "male dominant gun fantasies" as you say. I can see my personal weapons being needed to protect my family at some time, but I don't fantasize about it. I have had to use lethal force in defense of my person before and trust me, it's not something one has fond dreams about. Society as we know it IS crumbling. One need look no further than our current southern border situation to see whats coming. If I lived on the border right now I would have pillboxes and tripwires set up. To not do so would be ....unwise. I'm glad I live where I do. I have no desire for a civil crisis, but I DO think one is coming. I find it highly likely. And to that end I (and my neighbors as well) have made preparations. And IF it happens we will deal with it. Until that time life goes on.............

Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was listening to the Glenn Beck show a few days ago
There's your problem. Other than entertainment value, you may want to seek multiple opinions on geopolitical topics.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Us here in da UP are positioned to be come the new neutral party, what ever happens. We have natural boundaries , no body wants us , and shutting off the north end of the bridge would be easy. The Cheeseheads to the south , will do what ever we tell them to do , and Canada is always our back door out , should we need it. For a fee , we would be happy to hold all the wealth in our secure underground mines , for , as long as you need us to do it.... There IS a reason we are called the Superior state.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Us here in da UP are positioned to be come the new neutral party, what ever happens. We have natural boundaries , no body wants us , and shutting off the north end of the bridge would be easy. The Cheeseheads to the south , will do what ever we tell them to do , and Canada is always our back door out , should we need it. For a fee , we would be happy to hold all the wealth in our secure underground mines , for , as long as you need us to do it.... There IS a reason we are called the Superior state.
On the other hand, it's possible to be a little too isolated. And one other thing: are you completely sure you can trust Canada? Rather than your emergency exit, they could also just as easily be a barricade you didn't expect.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:06 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
On the other hand, it's possible to be a little too isolated. And one other thing: are you completely sure you can trust Canada? Rather than your emergency exit, they could also just as easily be a barricade you didn't expect.
Not likely. Most people don't know it , but we have a special deal with Canada to use our highways. We are the shortest and best roadway for cross Canada travel. A large number of Canadian vessels visit our ports on a daily basis as well. I can not go into detail because of security reasons , but the bond we have with our northern neighbor is unparalleled anywhere else in the United States.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
See here in Texas we got it all worked out:

Ron Paul President of the Republic of Texas | Ron Paul Wins! | Campaign for Liberty at the Daily Paul (http://www.dailypaul.com/node/77924 - broken link)

snippet:
Since Ron Paul has not screwed up the country (it was the Democrats/Republicans in Congress) We'll just bring Ron back to Texas. Ron Paul will become the President of the Republic of Texas. So what does Texas have to do to survive as a Republic?

1. NASA is just south of Houston, Texas. We will control the space
industry.
2. We refine over 85% of the gasoline in the United States.
3. Defense Industry--we have over 65% of it. The term "Don't mess with Texas," will take on a whole new meaning.
4. Oil-we can supply all the oil that the Republic of Texas will need for the next 300 years. Yankee states? Sorry about that.
5. Natural Gas-again we have all we need and it's too bad about those Northern States. John Kerry will have to figure out a way to keep them warm....
6. Computer Industry-we currently lead the nation in producing computer chips and communications. Small companies like Texas Instruments, Dell Computer, EDS, Raytheon, National Semiconductor, Motorola, Intel, AMD, Atmel, Applied Materials, Ball Miconductor, Dallas Semiconductor, Delphi, Nortel, Alcatel, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.
7. Medical Care-We have the largest research centers for cancer research, the best burn centers and the top trauma units in the world, as well as other large health centers. Dallas and Houston have some of the best hospitals in the United States.
8 We have enough colleges to keep us going: University of Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Rice, SMU, University of Houston, Baylor, UNT (University of North Texas), Texas Women's University, etc. Ivy grows better in the South anyway.
9. We have a ready supply of workers. We could just open the border when we need some more.
10. We have essential control of the paper industry, plastics, > insurance, etc.
11. In case of a foreign invasion, we have the Texas National Guard and the Texas Air National Guard. We don't have an Army, but since everybody down here has at least six rifles and a pile of ammo, we can raise an Army in 24 hours if we need one. If the situation really gets bad, we can always call the Department of Public Safety and ask them to send over Chuck Norris and a couple of Texas Rangers. One war, one Ranger!
12. We are totally self-sufficient in beef, poultry, hogs, and several types of grain, fruit and vegetables, and let's not forget seafood from the Gulf. Also, everybody down here knows how to cook them so that they taste good. Don't need any food.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Damn, I am jealous. Used to live in nowhere country down there years ago. Almost exactly in the center of a line connecting Dallas and Houston. I guess the only town that was close and on the map would be Tyler. That was the BIG CITY for my peeps, it only had about 40,000 people back then. The "town" that I lived in had 13! Nearest grocery store was 40 minutes away. Absolute heaven. For those that never been in them parts, roses grow wild along the road, they are everywhere. The most beautiful place on earth that I have ever seen. Most beautiful, kind, and honest people too.

Sadly, I have been sort of trapped up here in the cesspool Northeast for far too long. Waiting for the wife to finish up her second pension. We have been thinking of building in Florida ( I know, NYC with high humidity ) Maybe I could talk her into disappearing again into the real America if I try real hard. She has never lived down south, I have lived in Texas, Georgia, and Kentucky. People where I live have no idea how nice the country really is when you get out of the failed social engineering areas.

Sorry for the rant. Good luck with that independent Texas. I thank yall dun rite bye shakin' dem chiggers off.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,761 times
Not quite as prepared as we would like to be but we are more prepared than probably 98% of the folk. I tend to think like nvplumber, and BTW, I believe you to be a PATRIOT. Don't believe it will become a full blown civil war but I do believe it may become a situation where many of us ants may have to defend our anthills from you grasshoppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies