Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Pick up a few more guns most likely, stock up on ammo and fishing equipment and enlarging my garden.
I certainly hope this doesn't come to pass but I think you'd be a fool to not prepare. Everyone including our fearless leader has said we've NEVER seen anything like this before so wouldn't it be wise to figure that no one knows how it'll turn out? Most everyone I've talked with is highly ticked off about what's going on and believe we're in for some tought times as evidenced by the lack of ammo available for purchase. Just try buying cases of .223 or 9 mil or 12 gauge solid slug or even primers for reloading. It's not available!
I love those people like the poster above who are going to place their head in the sand and pretend everythings ok... If things do go badly I hope none of them come knocking on my door looking for "aid"...
Lol, plenty of the grasshoppers will come knocking on our anthills Im afraid. Right now of course, we who have or are making preparation for a worst case scenerio are just "neo con wing nuts" and other colorful names. I am going about my business quietly, laying in extra supplies as money becomes available to do so. We live far enough out that we tend to keep extra around any way. This has been more to be ready for a natural disaster of some sort as we could not expect much government help in the event the power or supply lines were interupted for a protracted period of time, but watching current events unfold has galvanized us to be ready man made problems. I bought up a bunch of ammo for my centerfire service style rifles quite a while ago. The writing was on the wall as to how hard the stuff would be to get long before election night. We have food and medical supplies to go for quite a spell needs be and a good supply of canning and curing supplies as well. If the powr were to go down I figure I'd be stewing, canning and curing meat for about at least a week. The community out here has what we call a "protective association". The farms and ranches herebouts are prepared to band together to defend ourselves if it becomes necessary. I doubt we could fend off a direct frontal assault by an organized military force with air and armor. But, we have a retreat area to fall back to if that situation arises. Roving bands of thugs coming out from the cities with any aspirations of looting our supplies would not be pleased with what they would have to go through to accomplish that end, however.. I can't see an actual "civil war" per se coming down. By and large most people do not have the mindset for a frontal conflict with the government and the states do not have the type of organization and common cause that , say , the Confederacy had in the 1860's. They will be to busy taking care of their own yard to field an actual rebellion. But, having to become individually self reliant, and prepared to fight off the wolves IS plausible. I would rather be ready than not. If things work out for the best, well we will eat well for quite a while, and I can do a LOT of shooting just for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,000 times
You kno, you don't have to look as far back as the 1850s to see the country nearly split. I think we came VERY close to having a civil war in 1968. The frustration with the government seems about at the same point to me. I'm thinking there is a higher likelihood of an overthrow of the government than civil war.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Yesterday the OP was predicting the end of the world, now it's civil war. How many nation ending, world ending threads do we need?

If there would be a civil war who would it be between? The workers vs. the lazy welfare class, the conservatives vs. liberals, Americans vs. mexican invaders?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times
Perhaps we could solve some of our problems by voting in a sound businessman or woman instead of an academic/lawyer next time around. Does not matter if it is a R or a D. Take a look at how well Wyoming is run. Dems and Repubs all are fiscally responsible people and their unemployment rate is below 4%. Incredible!!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I have never seen our fellow Americans so angry, frustrated and ready to explode. I was listening to the Glenn Beck show a few days ago and he touched on the subject of a possible Civil War in the next 4 years. I am preparing for the worst, how are you preparing for the coming Civil War?

I'm preparing by not listening to angry screeds from disaffected right wing loonytunes like Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, Weiner-Savage, Levine, et al.

But it's easy to see why these creeps are so angry and bitter. Their political philosophy has led America to the brink of ruin. The public has recognized them for the phonies they are. And now the competing philosophy is up to bat. The wackaloons are hoping for a strike out, no matter how badly that further damages the nation. They don't care! They've already proven that by ruining the economy and starting a bogus war.

They don't care about anything but partisanship and they lie to whatever extent they feel they need to in order to keep appealing to their dwindling "base." A base that uncritically swallows each and every lie.

Obviously, there are a number of these "basers" still posting here on C-D. They seem kinda angry.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,207,098 times
Quote:
I have never seen our fellow Americans so angry, frustrated and ready to explode. I was listening to the Glenn Beck show a few days ago and he touched on the subject of a possible Civil War in the next 4 years. I am preparing for the worst, how are you preparing for the coming Civil War?
Civil war uh? Angry people, don't see it, seriously. Maybe the only angry people you or Beck (CONservative Shill) see or hear of are the nuts of your base? You know the type, guns, bible and Fascism/Patriotism... Though one thing that really perplexes me is this, how do you correlate guns with a bible is beyond me... I guess us libs don't call you nuts for nothing!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:13 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,388 times
Quote:
I was interested on your posting until I read the name "Glenn Beck".

Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
You kno, you don't have to look as far back as the 1850s to see the country nearly split. I think we came VERY close to having a civil war in 1968. The frustration with the government seems about at the same point to me. I'm thinking there is a higher likelihood of an overthrow of the government than civil war.

For most of the nation, 1968 was basically a media event.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 PM

439 posts, read 616,734 times
Passing laws and raising taxes on people that can't make it anymore will lead to civil war. Enough is enough there is a limit to how much people will take. At this moment everthing you do is tax. I can't wait when the goverment will tax you for taking a big one in your toilet.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Wow. I've read through the posts, and I'm surprised.

I thought the war was going to be against the people who got us into this mess: the bankers, the CEOs, the professional drug "athletes", the fixers, the flippers, the manipulators....the THIEVES, in other words, who have stolen our money, our country, our sense of right and wrong, our national honor, our souls.

But no. It's just the tired old left vs right crapola that the fat cats and their media lackeys use to keep us divided and at each others' throats over imagined slights and insults.

Too bad. I was reaady to join up and do my part to help make America a safe place for honesty and courage again. But I can see that no one cares about the roots of our disaffection, and the real criminals in our midst.

So please go on and blame the other side of the "political" debate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies