Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times

Advertisements

Beg to differ -- a percentage of my earnings was collected automatically from my paycheck for Social Security/FICA. Failure to pay these taxes is a federal offense. Failure to report earnings and/or pay these taxes is a federal offense. I know this because I had a math error in my quarterly (self-employment) income and accidentally shorted my FICA taxes... and got seriously fined.

So, while I may not have semantically paid "money", my income was taxed for FICA. This is not a voluntary system (at least not anymore), failure to comply is punishable by law.

Put it anyway you like, I'm not asking for charity... but yes, I am entitled to get back the friggin' income that was taxed from me now that I meet the "requirements".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Why are you special?
Everyone pays taxes, that's our dues for this society, like it or not.
So, you're playing semantics wanting a "bailout" for your house because you're "entitled."

I don't like to see people lose their houses, but really, where was the outrage when everything was inflating? When your house was appreciating were you outraged? No, you thought the sky was the limit. Most people did.

Didn't you realize that this was going to have to correct itself sometime?

I paid my 30 year mortgage off in 15 by working 2 jobs; I paid my second house off in 5 years. I'm fiscally conservative, especially in my own life. Luckily, when I live in the US, I live in a market that's stable and affordable.

No, not all people are irresponsible, but a lot are: second and third mortgages, inefficient space with higher utility costs, buying more house than they can afford.

I'd rather bail out people than all of the banks, but I'm sick of hearing about poor me and how entitled people are.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why are you special?
Everyone pays taxes, that's our dues for this society, like it or not.
So, you're playing semantics wanting a "bailout" for your house because you're "entitled."

I don't like to see people lose their houses, but really, where was the outrage when everything was inflating? When your house was appreciating were you outraged? No, you thought the sky was the limit. Most people did.

Didn't you realize that this was going to have to correct itself sometime?

I paid my 30 year mortgage off in 15 by working 2 jobs; I paid my second house off in 5 years. I'm fiscally conservative, especially in my own life. Luckily, when I live in the US, I live in a market that's stable and affordable.

No, not all people are irresponsible, but a lot are: second and third mortgages, inefficient space with higher utility costs, buying more house than they can afford.

I'd rather bail out people than all of the banks, but I'm sick of hearing about poor me and how entitled people are.
I never said I was special, nor do I think I am.

I didn't say I was entitled to any bailout for my house. I don't think there is any entitlement in that case, I'll either come up with the money or the banks will foreclose. However, if the bank is taking a bailout, and the condition of the bailout is to forgive 2nds... then it is an entitlement (a guarantee of access to benefits because of rights, or by agreement through law).

I'm talking about being entitled to disability benefits that I paid for now that I am disabled, that's why it's called Social Security Disability Insurance... I paid my premiums for this insurance when FICA Tax was withheld from my paychecks. Again, not a sense of entitlement, but a real entitlement ((a guarantee of access to benefits because of rights, or by agreement through law).

And, yes, I was outraged with the housing boom because I knew it would crash sooner or later. I was complaining and concerned while my house was "appreciating" because I knew the situation was headed for disaster... exponential growth and inflation is not sustainable. Most people didn't realize that, but I did... so don't put your assumptions in my mouth, OK?!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 PM

312 posts, read 507,026 times
hEY INCASE YOURE INTERESTED:

How many of you are looking to move out of New Jersey?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM

312 posts, read 507,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I never said I was special, nor do I think I am.

I didn't say I was entitled to any bailout for my house. I don't think there is any entitlement in that case, I'll either come up with the money or the banks will foreclose. However, if the bank is taking a bailout, and the condition of the bailout is to forgive 2nds... then it is an entitlement (a guarantee of access to benefits because of rights, or by agreement through law).

I'm talking about being entitled to disability benefits that I paid for now that I am disabled, that's why it's called Social Security Disability Insurance... I paid my premiums for this insurance when FICA Tax was withheld from my paychecks. Again, not a sense of entitlement, but a real entitlement ((a guarantee of access to benefits because of rights, or by agreement through law).

And, yes, I was outraged with the housing boom because I knew it would crash sooner or later. I was complaining and concerned while my house was "appreciating" because I knew the situation was headed for disaster... exponential growth and inflation is not sustainable. Most people didn't realize that, but I did... so don't put your assumptions in my mouth, OK?!
Don't worry about Chiel. She wants everyone to pay lots and lots of taxes and not expect anything for it in return. possibly she has washington connections and some porkbarrels she wouldn't like to give up.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFly Jr View Post
My name is Jim*. My parents and I
work nights and day (all three of us) because we need to afford the mortgage. and thank God, we paid every month so far.
But, the problems started when NJ raised property taxes. they came to evaluate our house and raised it by $300/month!!! that's waaay above what we can afford!
NOW WHAT???
how dare a government raise the "rent" of a home owner just because he is a home owner??
while some of my jersey neighbors who live in government dubsidized housing don't get their rent rased by 300!!! how is that fair???
so give us advice: should we pay the mortgage, or the tax? which one should it be?
1) if we pay the mortgage but not the extra tax, they'll put a lean on owr house or take it away or whatever
2) if we pay the tax but not the mortgage, they'll bail us out?
what do we do?
* this is a true story not something that happened to me, but I am naarating the story that happened to a friend who used to be my neighbor

You should of stayed in college and got a degree. You would of been making more money, learned how to spell, not living with your parents and probably would not be here right now.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:58 AM

4 posts, read 10,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
You should of stayed in college and got a degree. You would of been making more money, learned how to spell, not living with your parents and probably would not be here right now.
Your post reads like the blind leading the blind...lol

Maybe you should have reread this person's post before replying.
The thread is not about him. It's about his old neighbor.
Did you complete college? I never would have used the word "got". lol. What does "should of" mean? Did you mean to write "should have" or "should've"? You then wrote "here right now". It makes me wonder if he is with you. How about punctuation? lol

I think you meant:

"Your friend should have stayed in college and earned a degree. College may have increased his chance of gainful employment, and the possibility of earning a higher income. Had he gone to college his spelling may be better, may not be living with his parents, and he may not be in the predicament he is in at the moment."

Then again,what do I know? I finished high school, but not college. My spelling and grammar are alright, my problem solving and social skills are better than most, and I manage to keep myself well above the national average income level.

In the end, none of us have enough information about this person's circumstances to pass any judgement upon him.

A friend of mine looks at it this way: The game is different today, but you still need to play in order to win. The money is spent whether you take advantage of it or not. Play the game, and play it the best you can in order to come out on top. Your family's future depends on your result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies