Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They seem to have trouble as well with the idea that spending a dollar today to save two dollars tomorrow can be a pretty good strategy.
How will that happen? How will we be saving 2 dollars tomorrow? Have you ever known a government entitlement to shrink, end or disappear?

There is no escaping the fact that obama has AT LEAST tripled the deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
***the idea that spending a dollar today to save two dollars tomorrow can be a pretty good strategy.***

I can't see where we save $2 dollars on any dollars spent in that "stimulus" law, the "Thing" as I refer to it, but if you can show me where I think I am smart enough to see it. Please show it to me at your first chance. Obama rhetoric won't satisfy me. I need some real proof.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 PM

13 posts, read 56,150 times
All I have to say is that there were a total of two terms obviously 8 years.... and we're a month in???? How is that people were supportive in the midst of the worst times with the Bush Administration, however when the tables turn people feel the need to toss negativity around as if he's already proven incompetence? RELAX, there should not be one person who is not feeling the effects of our economy. Just my opinion of course....

Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
The state of Maryland was slated to lay off 700 employees each of whom would have been eligible for both unemployment, food stamps. Take the loss in tax revenue plus the cost in unemployment and other benefits and see what you come up with.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:21 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How will that happen? How will we be saving 2 dollars tomorrow? Have you ever known a government entitlement to shrink, end or disappear?
Railroad workers benefits have shrunk, the original GI Bill expired, Civil War Veterans and Dependents pensions are now down to $0 annually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
There is no escaping the fact that obama has AT LEAST tripled the deficit.
Only within the confines of a static mind. You won't know how bad the deficit would have been this year without the Recovery Act, because that would require modeling and you don't know how to do that. You don't know how much unemployment, personal and corporate bankruptcies, home foreclosures and the like would have cost in direct and indirect terms, nor do you know how much more than what it is currently spending the government would have had to spend to have any impact six months or a year from now. You don't know any of these things. But you do know how to produce partisan whine, so that's what you resort to.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The state of Maryland was slated to lay off 700 employees each of whom would have been eligible for both unemployment, food stamps. Take the loss in tax revenue plus the cost in unemployment and other benefits and see what you come up with.
Don't mean to sound insensitive, but how many of those 700 employees were earning their paycheck and doing things really necessary for the operation of the state government?

When businesses have less business to do, they are forced to lay off staff, reduce compensation levels, or cut payrolls. Somehow, that is never the case with governments.

That is the point of the OP, and it remains unaddressed.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Railroad workers benefits have shrunk, the original GI Bill expired, Civil War Veterans and Dependents pensions are now down to $0 annually.

Only within the confines of a static mind. You won't know how bad the deficit would have been this year without the Recovery Act, because that would require modeling and you don't know how to do that. You don't know how much unemployment, personal and corporate bankruptcies, home foreclosures and the like would have cost in direct and indirect terms, nor do you know how much more than what it is currently spending the government would have had to spend to have any impact six months or a year from now. You don't know any of these things. But you do know how to produce partisan whine, so that's what you resort to.
Speaking of stasis: model up our energy costs with offshore exploration and ANWR drilling thrown in to increase supply; model increased use of nuclear power with a lid placed on the number of times The China Syndrome can be shown on TCM; model up reductions in state, county, and municipal governmental costs sans AFSCME. You may know how to do these things, but you prefer the silence of cynicism.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 02-25-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 03:39 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Will we get so far in debt that we will have to raise your taxes?
Yes we can.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:41 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,673 times
Last night on ABC, they said that each day of the Obama presidency has cost the American taxpayers 36 million.
Change we can't afford.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:44 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
[quote=roysoldboy;7627918I can't see where we save $2 dollars on any dollars spent in that "stimulus" law, the "Thing" as I refer to it, but if you can show me where I think I am smart enough to see it. Please show it to me at your first chance. Obama rhetoric won't satisfy me. I need some real proof.[/QUOTE]
Since you can't afford my rates, try proving it to yourself: If your house is on fire, how quickly do you want the fire put out? Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies