Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:41 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I frankly thought there would be a few like the man in the hawk/squirrel thread who would say they could be capable of killing a person who was attacking their pet.
MOST people have common sense and realize even if you're defending your animal and you killed the person,most likely you're going away for a long time.That being said,if it were legal to defend your animal to that extreme;I would if the individual attacked my pet unprovoked. If you are threatening an animal or attacking one then you are obviously not an asset to society; so one less idiot for the public to deal with.If you were attacked by a dog and you defend yourself that's a different story.
Usually people who go after animals unprovoked wind up being wife beaters, serial killers,and the crap that society has to put up with years later so it wouldn't be a loss.I personally do not believe that all life is special.Bigots,and flat out racist organizations shouldn't have free speech because inciting riots is against the law-----KILL EM ALL.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:42 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
I would not kill a human for killing my pet. However, it would depend on circumstances whether I would get even. Years ago, my dog ran into the street and was killed. It was not the driver's fault. I know of a case where a neighbor deliberately poisoned a dog. In that case, I would do every I could to make the neighbor's life miserable. If you saw Tom Hanks' movie, Charlie Wilson's War, you'll know what I mean.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:43 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I had an uncle who was on medication for psychotic episodes. His insurance quit paying, the pills ran out, and he became convinced he was a chicken. The family considered hospitalizing him, but decided against it, as we were poor and needed the eggs.

But we NEVER considered killing him.
When you started the pet chicken story,I was scared for you as I thought that you might feel like you knew us well enough to finally confess to some kind of weird chicken fetish...you don't......and now this....I'm so proud of you

Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,717 times
I haven't read the thread yet, so I'm not sure what kind of circus I'm writing in to...

I would not kill a man for threatening my pet...but I might beat him about the head, once or twice without intent, should he try.

If I had a pet.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:12 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
I haven't read the thread yet, so I'm not sure what kind of circus I'm writing in to...

I would not kill a man for threatening my pet...but I might beat him about the head, once or twice without intent, should he try.

If I had a pet.
I may use this one day in court...Thank You

Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Could I kill a person who threatened my pet? Yes

Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No, but I could kill a pet which threatened my grandchidren.

Pit bull owners please note: I am armed.

For me it would be 'small irritating yappy dog owners please note: I am armed'

I've never been bit by any one of my pit bulls past or present, but I have been bit by small yappy dogs on more occasions than I can count

To answer the OP - no, I don't think I could kill another human being in defense of my dogs, horses, goats or cats. Unless they were PETA members... I mean, they're asking for it

Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,531,436 times
The way people have treated Michael Vick, you'd think he murdered someone. I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but I don't think you should go to prison for killing animals, unless they are someone else's property. Sure, you're not a nice person if you do it, but while Ray Lewis and other NFL stars associated with murders are walking free and even playing, I don't think Vick should be in the penitentiary.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:52 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
[However, you might just find this little tidbit interesting. There was a police officer in South Florida who was shot in the neck while sitting in his car. He was a K-9 officer and had his dog in the police car with him. When the paramedics arrived after the shooting to provide help, they could not administer treatement to the officer because the dog was being very protective and they could not get into the car or get the police officer out of the car. So they WAITED until someone from the K-9 unit could get there in order to get the dog out of the car. The police officer died. Bled to death. I've always wondered WHY they did not shoot the dog in order to get into the car to treat the officer as quickly as possible. Hmmmm. One just never knows.
[/color][/b]
My guess is that since they were paramedics they didn't have guns or they just didn't realize how serious the injury was because I can't imagine a fellow police officer letting a dog get in the way.

Someone makes a very good point. If it is OK to defend your home and your belongings why is it not ok to defend your pets and animals? Of course so much depends on the actual circumstances. If I am out walking my dog and some maniac starts beating it, is it not OK to hit him upside the head even if it might kill him? I mean if someone goes after my animal, I could be next.

Is there a more specific circumstance you might want to elaborate on? Honestly if someone broke into my home and went after my dog, are those of you saying it would NOT be ok to sho0t the burguler but it was perfectly justifiable in the Texas case?

Old 02-25-2009, 06:54 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I just read a post by somebody who says he could.

I love my cat dearly. I have spent money on her. I would probably spend a lot of money on her if I had to. I understand how people love their pets dearly. I understand how people humanize their pets.

But she is an animal.

A person is a human being.

No animal is worth the life of a human being.

I wonder if there is case law on this. The only place I could imagine something like this being allowed is California or Massachusetts.
Of course I could. And I would. My animal is worth the life of a human being who attempts to torture or kill her. To say that an animal's life is, de facto, less valuable than the life of a human being is tautological. It's the same structure of logic that used to say: The life of a black man is not of the same value as the life of a white man. ALL life has value. Period.

Let's reframe the question:

If Jeffrey Dahmer were attempting to torture or kill your beloved animal, would you allow him to do so rather than kill him to save the life of your animal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies