Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times

Advertisements

A foreigner not in the U.S. legally won't pass the NICS check. Non-resident aliens legally in this country can't buy firearms without a pile of paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Mexican drug cartels are getting their assault weapons from the USA and outgunning the Mexican police. If this helps to stop the flow and prevent a huge country next door from becoming a failed state, I'm all for it.
Why would they bother with overpriced semi-autos when they can get cheaper full-autos elsewhere?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,162,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Unless of course you actually are a terrorist.
In which case Obama will just have a friendly chat with you about change and getting along with one another
If you're a terrorist, your going to let someone else hold the assualt rifle. You'll be legal and proper and not make waves until you are ready for the big moment. By your system there would be many many people out there who would be made into criminals and treated as a dictatorship treats its citizens. The terrorists would understand this.

Wonder how many of the people down the street from the OP would be in prison if he was in charge?

The more controlling the governent gets the more creative those who don't go along get as well.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:41 PM

76,851 posts, read 47,170,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Why would they bother with overpriced semi-autos when they can get cheaper full-autos elsewhere?
Used semi-autos are pretty cheap here, but there is the question of the back ground checks. How do they purchase them without the checks?

I dont' buy the "Mexico" story in this proposal.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Used semi-autos are pretty cheap here, but there is the question of the back ground checks. How do they purchase them without the checks?

I wouldn't call $500+ for a semi-auto AK cheap when full-auto AK's in the third world can be had for $100 or so.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,129,444 times
Quote:

It looks to me like you would buy at least one of those $100 AK-47s to complete your collection.

Finally I find you.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 PM

39,792 posts, read 26,284,582 times
Has anyone here built up an AK from a demilled parts kit (buying the legal semi-auto receiver and required number of US parts)? I built an FAL from an Imbel kit a few years ago (jumping through all the hoops to be legal), and am thinking about an AK...if parts kits are even available. The FAL was a blast to build and to shoot.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:20 AM

20,222 posts, read 19,775,461 times
Quote:
They wouldn't bother with them.

But when the "scary looking gun bill" issue comes up facts, history and so on mean absolutely NOTHING to the banners.

It's all about feeling good and looking good, not actually accomplishing anything.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:02 AM

76,851 posts, read 47,170,347 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call $500+ for a semi-auto AK cheap when full-auto AK's in the third world can be had for $100 or so.
Maybe, but first you need to travel to the third world country, purchase them, and then smuggle them to Mexico. The expenses would add up and the waiting time would be long.

A drug dealer can make $500 pretty quickly, can't they? Considering the amounts of money they deal with, $500 is pocket change.

But it still doesn't explain the permit and back grounds check issue. I guess there must be a sizable black market for guns in US. Some people buy them legally, and then sell them to the criminals.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,930,864 times
Quote:
Maybe, but first you need to travel to the third world country, purchase them, and then smuggle them to Mexico. The expenses would add up and the waiting time would be long.

A drug dealer can make $500 pretty quickly, can't they? Considering the amounts of money they deal with, $500 is pocket change.

But it still doesn't explain the permit and back grounds check issue. I guess there must be a sizable black market for guns in US. Some people buy them legally, and then sell them to the criminals.
Then it gets traced back to the legal owners, and those people can never legally own a gun again in their lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies