Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times

Advertisements

The left wingnuts have taken control of the propaganda and media, influencing the election and brainwashing the sheeple. It is amazing that MSM has this much power. I wish they would go back to reporting the news and not spinning it.

Study: Coverage of McCain Much More Negative Than That of Obama | 44 | washingtonpost.com

Study: Coverage of McCain Much More Negative Than That of Obama

By Howard Kurtz
Media coverage of John McCain has been heavily unfavorable since the political conventions, more than three times as negative as the portrayal of Barack Obama, a new study says.

Fifty-seven percent of the print and broadcast stories about the Republican nominee were decidedly negative, the Project for Excellence in Journalism says in a report out today, while 14 percent were positive. The McCain campaign has repeatedly complained that the mainstream media are biased toward the senator from Illinois.

Obama's coverage was more balanced during the six-week period from Sept. 8 through last Thursday, with 36 percent of the stories clearly positive, 35 percent neutral or mixed and 29 percent negative.

McCain has struggled during this period and slipped in the polls, which is one of the reasons for the more negative assessments by the 48 news outlets studied by the Washington-based group. But the imbalance is striking nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Viacom owns MTV?...
Disney runs ABC?...
News Corp is a world wide news station but you can have that.
GE? The CEO is advising Obama? They own 80% of NBC Universal...
(You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that thinks MSNBC is far right, right, center-right, center, center-left, left, far left. But you might get people to agree they are FAR LEFT LUNATICS!!!!!!!!!)
Time Warner?...

Let me guess Ted Turner is super conservative to you?

Aaron Brown Memorial Award for the Stupidest Analysis and Quote of the Year winner – Ted Turner, for declaring his faith in the good intentions of North Korea's despotic communist dictatorship.

Turner: “Well, hey, listen. I saw a lot of people over there. They were thin and they were riding bicycles instead of driving in cars, but …”
Blitzer: “A lot of those people are starving.”
Turner: “I didn’t see any, I didn’t see any brutality …”
— Exchange on CNN’s The Situation Room, September 19.

From another thread...

Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 AM

News Bias Explored

From one of the links...

Quote:
Bias in the news media
Is the news media biased toward liberals? Yes. Is the news media biased toward conservatives? Yes. These questions and answers are uninteresting because it is possible to find evidence--anecdotal and otherwise--to "prove" media bias of one stripe or another. Far more interesting and instructive is studying the inherent, or structural, biases of journalism as a professional practice--especially as mediated through television. I use the word "bias" here to challenge its current use by partisan critics. A more accepted, and perhaps more accurate, term would be "frame." These are some of the professional frames that structure what journalists can see and how they can present what they see.
  1. Commercial bias: The news media are money-making businesses. As such, they must deliver a good product to their customers to make a profit. The customers of the news media are advertisers. The most important product the news media delivers to its customers are readers or viewers. Good is defined in numbers and quality of readers or viewers. The news media are biased toward conflict (re: bad news and narrative biases below) because conflict draws readers and viewers. Harmony is boring.
  2. Temporal bias: The news media are biased toward the immediate. News is what's new and fresh. To be immediate and fresh, the news must be ever-changing even when there is little news to cover.
  3. Visual bias: Television (and, increasingly, newspapers) is biased toward visual depictions of news. Television is nothing without pictures. Legitimate news that has no visual angle is likely to get little attention. Much of what is important in politics--policy--cannot be photographed.
  4. Bad news bias: Good news is boring (and probably does not photograph well, either). This bias makes the world look like a more dangerous place than it really is. Plus, this bias makes politicians look far more crooked than they really are.
  5. Narrative bias: The news media cover the news in terms of "stories" that must have a beginning, middle, and end--in other words, a plot with antagonists and protagonists. Much of what happens in our world, however, is ambiguous. The news media apply a narrative structure to ambiguous events suggesting that these events are easily understood and have clear cause-and-effect relationships. Good storytelling requires drama, and so this bias often leads journalists to add, or seek out, drama for the sake of drama. Controversy creates drama. Journalists often seek out the opinions of competing experts or officials in order to present conflict between two sides of an issue (sometimes referred to as the authority-disorder bias). Lastly, narrative bias leads many journalists to create, and then hang on to, master narratives--set story lines with set characters who act in set ways. Once a master narrative has been set, it is very difficult to get journalists to see that their narrative is simply one way, and not necessarily the correct or best way, of viewing people and events.
  6. Status Quo bias: The news media believe "the system works." During the "fiasco in Florida," recall that the news media were compelled to remind us that the Constitution was safe, the process was working, and all would be well. The mainstream news media never question the structure of the political system. The American way is the only way, politically and socially. In fact, the American way is news. The press spends vast amounts of time in unquestioning coverage of the process of political campaigns (but less so on the process of governance). This bias ensures that alternate points of view about how government might run and what government might do are effectively ignored.
  7. Fairness bias: No, this is not an oxymoron. Ethical journalistic practice demands that reporters and editors be fair. In the news product this bias manifests as a contention between/among political actors (also re: narrative bias above). Whenever one faction or politician does something or says something newsworthy, the press is compelled by this bias to get a reaction from an opposing camp. This creates the illusion that the game of politics is always contentious and never cooperative. This bias can also create situations in which one faction appears to be attacked by the press. For example, politician A announces some positive accomplishment followed by the press seeking a negative comment from politician B. The point is not to disparage politician A but to be fair to politician B. When politician A is a conservative, this practice appears to be liberal bias.
  8. Expediency bias: Journalism is a competitive, deadline-driven profession. Reporters compete among themselves for prime space or air time. News organizations compete for market share and reader/viewer attention. And the 24-hour news cycle--driven by the immediacy of television and the internet--creates a situation in which the job of competing never comes to a rest. Add financial pressures to this mix--the general desire of media groups for profit margins that exceed what's "normal" in many other industries--and you create a bias toward information that can be obtained quickly, easily, and inexpensively. Need an expert/official quote (status quo bias) to balance (fairness bias) a story (narrative bias)? Who can you get on the phone fast? Who is always ready with a quote and always willing to speak (i.e. say what you need them to say to balance the story)? Who sent a press release recently? Much of deadline decision making comes down to gathering information that is readily available from sources that are well known.
  9. Glory bias: Journalists, especially television reporters, often assert themselves into the stories they cover. This happens most often in terms of proximity, i.e. to the locus of unfolding events or within the orbit of powerful political and civic actors. This bias helps journalists establish and maintain a cultural identity as knowledgeable insiders (although many journalists reject the notion that follows from this--that they are players in the game and not merely observers). The glory bias shows itself in particularly obnoxious ways in television journalism. News promos with stirring music and heroic pictures of individual reporters create the aura of omnipresence and omnipotence. I ascribe the use of the satellite phone to this bias. Note how often it's used in situations in which a normal video feed should be no problem to establish, e.g. a report from Tokyo I saw recently on CNN. The jerky pictures and fuzzy sound of the satellite phone create a romantic image of foreign adventure.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
The left wingnuts have taken control of the propaganda and media, influencing the election and brainwashing the sheeple. It is amazing that MSM has this much power. I wish they would go back to reporting the news and not spinning it.

Study: Coverage of McCain Much More Negative Than That of Obama | 44 | washingtonpost.com

Study: Coverage of McCain Much More Negative Than That of Obama

By Howard Kurtz
Media coverage of John McCain has been heavily unfavorable since the political conventions, more than three times as negative as the portrayal of Barack Obama, a new study says.

Fifty-seven percent of the print and broadcast stories about the Republican nominee were decidedly negative, the Project for Excellence in Journalism says in a report out today, while 14 percent were positive. The McCain campaign has repeatedly complained that the mainstream media are biased toward the senator from Illinois.

Obama's coverage was more balanced during the six-week period from Sept. 8 through last Thursday, with 36 percent of the stories clearly positive, 35 percent neutral or mixed and 29 percent negative.

McCain has struggled during this period and slipped in the polls, which is one of the reasons for the more negative assessments by the 48 news outlets studied by the Washington-based group. But the imbalance is striking nonetheless.

Well thanks for at least attempting to try....LOL ...I went your source ( which is a good source btw) and here is the report conclusion in question....It debunks your argument without a doubt..

Your source and their "study" which only looked at 5 weeks of coverage. Project on Media Excellence:

"One question likely to be posed is whether these findings provide evidence that the news media are pro-Obama. Is there some element in these numbers that reflects a rooting by journalists for Obama and against McCain, unconscious or otherwise? The data do not provide conclusive answers. They do offer a strong suggestion that winning in politics begat winning coverage, thanks in part to the relentless tendency of the press to frame its coverage of national elections as running narratives about the relative position of the candidates in the polls and internal tactical maneuvering to alter those positions. Obama’s coverage was negative in tone when he was dropping in the polls, and became positive when he began to rise, and it was just so for McCain as well. Nor are these numbers different than what we have seen before. Obama’s numbers are similar to what we saw for John Kerry four years ago as he began rising in the polls, and McCain’s numbers are almost identical to what we saw eight years ago for Democrat Al Gore"

How is it that right wingers can be so wrong so often???? Even when do rarely post a source ....it winds up backfiring on them??? LOL

Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
News Bias Explored

From one of the links...
Pretty lame. A link to a website. It's basically a editorial saying the media is biased against Conservatives....not data, no facts, no report, just another right wing drone repeating the talking points....LOL

Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 AM

It's from the university of Michigan Sherlock.... How about the ones with tons of data... not a single word about those? I'll post them again....

http://people-press.org/report/188/s...ership-emerges
http://www.asne.org/kiosk/news/98jcp.htm
http://people-press.org/report/?pageid=829 (broken link)

Quote:
How is it that right wingers can be so wrong so often???? Even when do rarely post a source ....it winds up backfiring on them??? LOL
You know I was just thinking the same thing about you...not all leftys though...

Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM

841 posts, read 2,261,066 times
The "left media bias" is a ignorant sentiment.

YouTube - The Myth of the Liberal Media: The Propaganda Model of News

Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
It's from the university of Michigan Sherlock.... How about the ones with tons of data... not a single word about those? I'll post them again....

http://people-press.org/report/188/s...ership-emerges
ASNE - Editors group releases preliminary journalism credibility study
IV. Values and the Press: Bottom-Line Pressures Now Hurting Coverage, Say Journalists (http://people-press.org/report/?pageid=829 - broken link)

You know I was just thinking the same thing about you...not all leftys though...
I stand corrected. I was lazy and stopped reading after the first sentence

"Is the news media biased toward liberals? Yes."

Unlike the wingnuts here including yourself I never have a problem admitting when I am wrong.....(and you don't have any examples otherwise) .

I guess that makes me Liberal...huh?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 AM

No it was wrong of me to personally attack you with...

Quote:
I have humility also. I've been wrong plenty of times and will admit it when I am if it seems needed or appropriate. An apologies is not always needed in a discussion from a side that is proven wrong. We argue to come to final answers or actual solutions for the most part.. maybe not as much in forums though.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
No it was wrong of me to personally attack you with...

I have humility also. I've been wrong plenty of times and will admit it when I am if it seems needed or appropriate. An apologies is not always needed in a discussion from a side that is proven wrong. We argue to come to final answers or actual solutions for the most part.. maybe not as much in forums though.
Pssha! Don't worry about it....You develop a thick skin here in the trenches over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies