Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Explain exactly what makes the NAACP a "hate group."

Seriously. This assinine idea from the right that recognizing race is the same as racism has got to die. What is wrong with people that would make them think that? It's really close to racism itself.

The NAACP celebrates race. That's OK.
The NAACP does far more than celebrate race. And like all "racially oriented" groups, they use their power and influence to further their goals. There is a good and bad side to the NAACP just like with any other organization which mainly cater to only a select group of people. They are a non violent group, which puts them a step above the rest automatically. But that doesn't mean they are innocent and that doesn't mean they are always right. People seem to have this image stuck in their heads that this group are simply crusaders for equality. But they have their hands in far to many pockets these days, and just like all ideas that were once based on true feelings, they are merely shadows of their former selves. They may be rich in power and influence, but they lack the core integrity which once made them stand alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:53 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
The NAACP does far more than celebrate race. And like all "racially oriented" groups, they use their power and influence to further their goals. There is a good and bad side to the NAACP just like with any other organization which mainly cater to only a select group of people. They are a non violent group, which puts them a step above the rest automatically. But that doesn't mean they are innocent and that doesn't mean they are always right. People seem to have this image stuck in their heads that this group are simply crusaders for equality. But they have their hands in far to many pockets these days, and just like all ideas that were once based on true feelings, they are merely shadows of their former selves. They may be rich in power and influence, but they lack the core integrity which once made them stand alone.
I see nothing factual in this comment.

Commenters here were putting the NAACP in the category of "hate group" with the KKK and Arian Nations. You'll need to come up with something a whole lot better than "they're not true to their roots, in my opinion."

As an aside - my comments earlier were not polite. Other commenters were more polite, but saying incredibly hateful things. If CD wants all it's racists to be polite, they are welcome to enforce that. But I'd say that is a "lack of integrity" much worse than anything that can be attributed to the NAACP.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:55 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
You can't celebrate or have events for something that's already a given. That's like the trees celebrating "Happy Leaves Day." They're always gonna be there and never in short supply. And until the NAACP kills or murders someone white or causes them physical anguish, they are not a hate group. The KKK and Aryan Nations have already cornered the market on that.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:11 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
People assume that white people are drawn to white people and black people to black people or some might say that I was friends with these people because there were less white people around which was not true.I personally judge person to person and if I like that person it doesn't matter what their origin or color is.As far as the word actually,I get caught up using this word quite frequently as a habit and barely make a statement without using it.

I totally agree with you. I wish everyone thought like us. There are many good people and many bad people in every race, why can't people just see that, you know.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I see nothing factual in this comment.

Commenters here were putting the NAACP in the category of "hate group" with the KKK and Arian Nations. You'll need to come up with something a whole lot better than "they're not true to their roots, in my opinion."

As an aside - my comments earlier were not polite. Other commenters were more polite, but saying incredibly hateful things. If CD wants all it's racists to be polite, they are welcome to enforce that. But I'd say that is a "lack of integrity" much worse than anything that can be attributed to the NAACP.
If you see nothing factual then I guess that is just how you see it. Nothing in my comment was meant to put the NAACP in with other hate groups. I was simply trying to illustrate that the NAACP do far more than "celebrate" race. There is corruption everywhere, and it usually infiltrates groups with power and influence. A good example would be, our government. Corrupt to the core, but started with the intentions of creating a free utopia of sovereign individuals. Everything gets twisted over time and becomes something it was not meant to be. Even the NAACP.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:27 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
I totally agree with you. I wish everyone thought like us. There are many good people and many bad people in every race, why can't people just see that, you know.
That was the problem I had in the military.Alot of the southern white guys I knew had confederate flags and had underlying beliefs which I was totally against.I realize that parents influence their children but when you hit a certain age shouldn't you actually think about the question asked you without prejudice or be open to change even if you hold your position? The reason that we are called the "UNITED" states is because we are supposed to be united.The problem is that if we are supposed to be so united ;why do we have different driving ages,and different school curriculums? Also for a country that is supposed to have separation of church and state we sure do have alot of religion in certain states working their way into our schools.I didn't realize that math,english,u.s.history, and science had anything much to do with religion.If we are so united we need more federal laws and less state laws so u.s.history in one state (union)will be the same as another(confederacy) and so this underlying civil war can also end.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
If you see nothing factual then I guess that is just how you see it. Nothing in my comment was meant to put the NAACP in with other hate groups. I was simply trying to illustrate that the NAACP do far more than "celebrate" race. There is corruption everywhere, and it usually infiltrates groups with power and influence. A good example would be, our government. Corrupt to the core, but started with the intentions of creating a free utopia of sovereign individuals. Everything gets twisted over time and becomes something it was not meant to be. Even the NAACP.
Let's do an analogy.

Person A: The NRA is a violent, totalitarian organization just like the Nazis!

Person B: (responding to Person A) Don't be an idiot! The NRA just protects the 1st Amendment rights of Americans.

Person C: (responding to Person B) Your response is rude! And the NRA has "drifted" in its goals.

Person A has said something incredibly insane and inflammatory. Person B has said something reasonable (if a bit rude).

Out of those two people, you (Person C) choose to address Person B's normal response rather than the insane and hateful Person A. What's up with that?

The people you choose to address, and the subject that you think is important to comment on says a lot about you. So you can tell me to chill - and take other actions - but you probably should worry about how your own focus has "drifted" more than you should about the NAACP.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
I agree as a Christian I feel every culture should be celebrated. I wonder why did you have to say my friends in the airforce were "actually black and hispanic," that sounds a little off to me. It is like me saying I have best friends that are "actually white."

What does celebrating diversity have to do with being christian?
Other people feel the same way about diversity, and they're not religious at all.
Your comment reads like you want to show that you're better because you're religious.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
February is Black History Month. Will Obama come up with a "White History Month"?

Gee, I don't know.

Did George W Bush come up with a Village Idiot History Month?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:52 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
White history month??? Everyday is White history day for me. People act as if they did black folk a service when they came up with "black history" month. Really the month isn't even really celebrated other than a few commercials or a special on CBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies