Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
How do you know they worked harder? How do you know they worked at all? It's a fallacy to assume that those with more money than others must have worked harder than those without. I work much harder than my boss. Guess who makes more money? Guess how my boss got his job? It wasn't through hard work.

What makes you think the increased tax revenue will go to deadbeats? The Iraq and Afghanistan wars cost money. The banks receiving bailouts are not headed by deadbeats. Running the govt. costs money. The govt. is run by people doing work.

How many deadbeats do you know? I know none. Everyone I know works. Luckily, no one has lost his job.

Last I checked, the incentive is for people to work. If you're that jealous of those few who receive govt. assistance, then quit your job and apply for a handout. Nobody is forcing you to work.
It is those at the top who are actually rewarded when they fail - how much did Carly Fiorina get for running H-P into the ground? $45 MILLION
How much did Bob Nardelli get for mis-managing Home Depot? $210 MILLION.
Meanwhile, the wages of 'average' workers have stagnated or gone down for the last few years.
If this 'trickle-down' theory was correct, workers should have seen a portion of this largesse that was bestowed at the top. But we all know that has not occurred.

The fact remains that Pres. Obama inherited a ridiculous amount of debt - the real numbers will probably not be known for years. Whether it is $1 trillion or $299 billion - I don't see too much difference in the overall effect on the country.

Someone earlier tried to justify the Bush deficits by laying the costs on 9/11. I agree, there were enormous expenses as a result (and BTW, I lived in the NYC Metro area then and could see the towers burning from my neighborhood, so I am all too painfully aware of the impact).

What we are facing right now as a nation is just as much an emergency as what we faced then. No one blinked about the costs we were leaving to our children and grandchildren entering into two wars, and there was, and still is, no way to recoup the money lost in Iraq. That money is gone, never to be seen again. For all the talk about fiscal responsibility from the Republicans now, they were in control of Congress for six years, and Pres. Bush NEVER vetoed a single spending bill (well, except for the one that dealt with increasing benefits for the troops, but that was a Democratic bill)...

At least, I believe, the money we are spending now will actually be returned to our economy in my children's and grandchildren's lifetimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
He is providing an injection which will last about three years. After that, we will pay for it due to increased taxes.

He is providing the means not to salvage our economy, but to duct tape it together for a few more years.

He, and the rest of the Democrats, are buying votes with other people's money. A trillion plus for every screwball left wing nonsensical mothballed project that would never pass the normal appropriation process because it's too porky and too stupid has been shoved into this spending bill. Now the rest of the liberal wish list will be funded through the normal process AND ALL WITH BORROWED MONEY. Face it America, YOU GOT SCAMMED!

Now the Democrats have an excuse to do what they've wanted to do all along, and that is raise taxes. They've already started with folks earning $208K/yr. I see no reason they will stop there. They'll raise taxes on business, energy, property ownership and anything else they can imagine.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
LOLZ!!!11!!1!!

Yeah....he is. Anything non-douchey to add to the topic?

Looks like no.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Remember when Reagan slashed the taxes and expanded spending and built the largest deficit ever?
Then Clinton was forced kicking and screaming by a majority republican house and senate to cut it down, and balanced it out again.

That's all Obama's doing.
Fixed it for you. Revisionist history is bad history.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Thank you scumbag Obama!

Old 02-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Remember when Reagan slashed the taxes and expanded spending and built the largest deficit ever?
Then Clinton came in, cut it down, and balanced it out again.

That's all Obama's doing.

You must be too young to remember the 21% misery index that Reagan inherited from Carter. Carternomics (aka. stagflation) is what happens when the money supply increases so rapidly that inflation becomes uncontrollable. Then no one wants to invest in our economy any longer. That's when stagnation comes in along with the inevitable unemployment that comes along shortly there after. When foreigners see what is happening to the US dollars they dump them causing an even weaker US dollar. When that happens, the price we pay for all imported goods, like crude oil skyrockets. In 1981, I paid $1.27/gal for regular unleaded gas in 1981 dollars. Can you just imagine the nightmare scenario waiting in the wings when we combine Carter's inflation with last year's crude oil prices. We are currently spending money we don't have and that will require us to sell bonds to cover the currency we are creating. But no one can buy our bonds. China has said they will buy the bonds if they can run a trade surplus with us to provide the funds. Do you see the insanity of doing this? Whether we have a buyer for our bonds or not, the money supply will balloon with terrible consequences. First comes the inflation and then the stagnation, then we're all in a pickle. You'll see it all come about in the next two years and blaming Bush won't make it any better.

Clinton reneged on his campaign pledge to raise taxes on only the wealthiest 2% of income earners in 1993. The Republican Revolution of 1994 was the catalyst for changing the way we did things. You may remember Gingrich and the rest of the Republicans shutting down the government twice to force the spending cuts that made Pay-Go work. Then, and only then, did Congress balance the budget. But it was over Clinton's dead body that these reforms were enacted. When they worked and were popular, Clinton took credit for the reforms he fought against.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You must be too young to remember the 21% misery index that Reagan inherited from Carter. Carternomics (aka. stagflation) is what happens when the money supply increases so rapidly that inflation becomes uncontrollable. Then no one wants to invest in our economy any longer. That's when stagnation comes in along with the inevitable unemployment that comes along shortly there after. When foreigners see what is happening to the US dollars they dump them causing an even weaker US dollar. When that happens, the price we pay for all imported goods, like crude oil skyrockets. In 1981, I paid $1.27/gal for regular unleaded gas in 1981 dollars. Can you just imagine the nightmare scenario waiting in the wings when we combine Carter's inflation with last year's crude oil prices. We are currently spending money we don't have and that will require us to sell bonds to cover the currency we are creating. But no one can buy our bonds. China has said they will buy the bonds if they can run a trade surplus with us to provide the funds. Do you see the insanity of doing this? Whether we have a buyer for our bonds or not, the money supply will balloon with terrible consequences. First comes the inflation and then the stagnation, then we're all in a pickle. You'll see it all come about in the next two years and blaming Bush won't make it any better.

Clinton reneged on his campaign pledge to raise taxes on only the wealthiest 2% of income earners in 1993. The Republican Revolution of 1994 was the catalyst for changing the way we did things. You may remember Gingrich and the rest of the Republicans shutting down the government twice to force the spending cuts that made Pay-Go work. Then, and only then, did Congress balance the budget. But it was over Clinton's dead body that these reforms were enacted. When they worked and were popular, Clinton took credit for the reforms he fought against.
You didn't acknowledge my post 2 above yours. I though it was pretty clever.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:25 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Yes, yes, and yes. I remember those years and it wasn't any fun. Misery index doesn't even describe it. Funny how the revisionist version of history is so different. Obamanomics uses Carternomics as it's playbook. So I guess bend over and be prepared for a really rough ride, because we won't be able to afford lubricant as they're ramming another one up our rears.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
SO ONCE AGAIN:

....BUSHCO LOWERED THE TAXES FOR THE UBERWEALTHY, THE HAVES AND HAVE MORES.....

THEN

WHERE

ARE

THE

JOBS ?????????????????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????????????????

See the above question....I have asked this repeatedly and

NO

repub has EVER had an answer.

They just mindlessly chant the same crap they learned on a bumper sticker and are INCAPABLE of learning ....
See, NO answer....refusal to see and accept a fact is a mental deficiency.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:57 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
SO ONCE AGAIN:

....BUSHCO LOWERED THE TAXES FOR THE UBERWEALTHY, THE HAVES AND HAVE MORES.....

THEN

WHERE

ARE

THE

JOBS ?????????????????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????????????????

See the above question....I have asked this repeatedly and

NO

repub has EVER had an answer.

They just mindlessly chant the same crap they learned on a bumper sticker and are INCAPABLE of learning ....
See, still no answer.

But you can bet they'll pop back out somewhere with a drool like"Never been hired by a poor man."

Or: "I worship the ultra wealthy as my God and believe jobs are plentiful and the economy is fine because the wealthy deserve to get wealthy off our humble backs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies