Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Global Warming or Global Cooling
Global Cooling 17 12.50%
Global Warming 59 43.38%
I dont believe in either 60 44.12%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I believe he won an Oscar for his ability to "preach his gospel"?
...and a Nobel Prize
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,482,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, growing up in the 50's, the scare (and the hysteria was similar to what Al Gore has been selling) was that we were entering a new "ice age" and we were all going to freeze to death and be burried under tons of ice.

That didn't happen. So when "they" started talking of "global warming", I couldn't help but laugh and say, "okay, whatever".

It is all political. It isn't science. It's a scam, designed to get you to behave in a certain way.

That's it. Nothing more.
Really? How was that nasty drought two years ago? Has the Ohio farm country recovered from that yet? Has the resevoirs yet come close to being refilled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
You mean a little shelter like this with the light bulb in it? Yes, I don't understand the high tech advanced systems you speak of. I guess those advanced devices can tell where the heat is coming from. It looks like these pictures prove that global really is caused by man.

I see you have been looking for a ligit recording station, found one yet?
Have I been? What is "ligit?" You are a real credit to your species, genius. Re-read this: "You'll discover that these little temperature sensors are fairly advanced, far more advanced than you seem to realize. All that's required is a UV shelter or a wooden box in order to get an accurate reading from them."

The shelter with the little bulb is perfectly adequate to house the sensor. It is the advanced piece of equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Here, pop your bubble with some facts.... which isn't "Abnormal" it is a natural cycle...

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs-001-03/fs-001.03.pdf
Starlite, why do we keep doing this? How many times do I have to explain the scientific method to you? One aberration does not defeat an entire pattern.

I'm willing to bet all that I own that not one of you arguing against climate change has any scientific background.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,464,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Have I been? What is "ligit?" You are a real credit to your species, genius. Re-read this: "You'll discover that these little temperature sensors are fairly advanced, far more advanced than you seem to realize. All that's required is a UV shelter or a wooden box in order to get an accurate reading from them."

The shelter with the little bulb is perfectly adequate to house the sensor. It is the advanced piece of equipment.

Starlite, why do we keep doing this? How many times do I have to explain the scientific method to you? One aberration does not defeat an entire pattern.

I'm willing to bet all that I own that not one of you arguing against climate change has any scientific background.
Unlike the chiropractors and dentists that make up the iipc that produce false data to further their fraud.

I love it when the loons run out of anything intelligent to say, they always turn to name calling.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,482,199 times
Quote:
Sometimes it's best if you be silent and be thought a fool than to post stuff like this and remove all doubt.

Here are some pictures of hearsay for ya sport.
Quote:
I love it when the loons run out of anything intelligent to say, they always turn to name calling.
Me too, Sport. It's loony.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM

23,446 posts, read 17,113,855 times
Default some of the choices are missing

Ah.... the earth continuously goes through cooling and heating cycles without regard to human convenience. Nature is very dynamic while we seek stability.....guess who rules?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:28 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,362,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...and a Nobel Prize
The 2007 Nobel Peace Prize was won by Al Gore and the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (consisting of about 2,000 scientists). Of course, all you ever hear is that Gore won it.

Problem is that thousands of scientists, including scientists from the IPCC, are now coming out saying that the IPCC report and model are flawed. (IPPC members against the report and others goto .: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.
Of course, this is not a comprehensive list.)

Pretty scary to think our energy policies are being based upon a report which is being debunked by more and more scientists around the world.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:40 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,709,629 times
All I know is that when I was in grade school in the late 1960's they were telling us in science class that we were headed for another ice age. I distinctly remember thinking that someday we'd all be freezing to death with no crops growing to feed us.

Now, fastforward to current time. We're being told that we're heating up and going suffer all manner of horrible situations due to global warming......coastal cities being submerged, droughts, floods, famines etc...

The scientists in the 1960's were "sure" of their predictions....sure enough to publish and promote them in school text books anyway. Same as the global warming folks currently.

My question is this.....who do we believe ? How do we know that in 20 or 30 years they won't be on the global cooling/second ice age idea again ?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,362,525 times
Man-made global warming or not?
One thing everyone can agree on - there will never be a consensus, especially by scientists.

The 2009 International Conference on Climate Change just wrapped up. They find ....
Quote:
Research presented at this week's Heartland conference shows no significant net planetary warming since 1940. And the data suggest insignificant warming over the next two centuries. Global warming? Think again, folks - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
One thing from the conference:
Quote:
David Evans, former researcher in the Australian Department of Climate Change, said computer models of human-caused global warming in models from the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change clearly predict the emergence of a "hotspot" in the upper troposphere over the tropics. However, radio temperature data for the upper troposphere clearly show there is no hotspot. The IPCC's assertion of man-made global warming rests on this fundamental prediction, but, said Evans, the hotspot just isn't there. 2009 International Conference on Climate Change: Update #2 - by Dan Miller - News Releases
Then on the other side of the fence, there are the "Believers" conferences.

Having started out with an open mind, my vote now goes to the scientists who say we should NOT be basing our energy policies on so-called global warming.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:58 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,300,611 times
In the 70's, HS science classes taught us the threat/fear of the nuclear winter. Now we have the fear of GW. And those pesky Iranians and North Koreans. I have an idea how to solve all three problems at once. I'm not ready for a nuclear winter, but could live with an extended nuclear Spring or Fall.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:58 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,998,050 times
It's not a matter of believing in cooling or warming. it's a scientific fact that the overall temperature of our atmosphere is rising. It could trigger a general cooling from the action of melting glacial ice into the oceans or it could be a noticeable increase in sun ultraviolet damage and aridity. Only time will tell and one way or other we'll have to deal with it. We should count our blessings that we are not like the people of some of the out lying Pacific islands that are already disappearing under rising oceans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies