Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:49 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
lol omg he is resigning over that please..... so petty.

It kind of depends on how much racism is considered acceptable. If you're in the broadcast media or hold public office as in this case, the answer is usually "damned little".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 11:39 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
I have never understood by the fried chicken and watermelon stereotypes were so offensive. I can understand how the vast majority of stereotypes (especially those regarding blacks) can be offensive and hurtful, but compared to classical racist imagry comparing blacks to animals regarding behavior and intelligence, liking watermelon and fried chicken is benign.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:01 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I have never understood by the fried chicken and watermelon stereotypes were so offensive. I can understand how the vast majority of stereotypes (especially those regarding blacks) can be offensive and hurtful, but compared to classical racist imagry comparing blacks to animals regarding behavior and intelligence, liking watermelon and fried chicken is benign.

Yeah, but I think when you get White People determining which racial stereotypes are acceptable and which aren't, many Blacks (and some Whites) would be offended by that.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:07 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Quote:
Do some research into vintage advertising and political cartooning. It depicts subhuman beings with bulging eyes and HUGE lips consistently with the watermelon. VERY offensive!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:24 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Do some research into vintage advertising and political cartooning. It depicts subhuman beings with bulging eyes and HUGE lips consistently with the watermelon. VERY offensive!
Oh, I have. However the bulging eyes and big lips were common in almost all political cartoons and advertisments portraying blacks regardless of the activity they were performing. I know this because I have seen dozens of them.

I am curious as to why watermelon and fried chicken is offensive in and of itself. This isn't meant to be provocative or trolling, I really am curious.

Like I said before, the offensive drawings of blacks were common regarding all activities and hardly see how it is as bad as all the extremely offensive stereotypes there have been.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:33 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I received that email and thought it was rather funny. How many "tasteless" emails about Bush were floating around over the last 8 years? I guess that was perfectly OK? But when the tables are turned people are outraged? Oh the HYPOCRACY!
How many "racist" emails about Bush were floating around over the last 8 years? NONE..But it's ok since it's Obama. Oh the Hypocricy!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:36 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
People on this board didn't think Obama being portrayed as an ape being shoot was offensive. Fact is, those people and this Mayor were and are racist. Racism is never benign.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
I am curious as to why watermelon and fried chicken is offensive in and of itself. This isn't meant to be provocative or trolling, I really am curious.
It is based upon the premise that blacks are thief's stealing chickens and watermelons from their masters.

Stereotypes of African Americans: Chicken & Watermelon Themes (http://www.authentichistory.com/diversity/african/chickenwatermelon/index.html - broken link)

The Blackface Stereotype

Old 02-27-2009, 01:55 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. (AP) - The mayor of a small Southern California city says he will resign after being criticized for sharing an e-mail picture depicting the White House lawn planted with watermelons under the title "No Easter egg hunt this year."

NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - Mayor who sent watermelon e-mail says he'll resign
Yay!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Aww come on......I have a HUGE rear end and get made fun of all the time. If I took it seriously I would be in tears constantly. We all have a tendency to poke fun at each other in one form or another. Lighten up. As I mentioned I have been best buds with an African American Lady for YEARS and just this past week we went shopping and as we passed a tanning salon, she told me she was going to make an appointment to go in there. I didn't say anything because I knew she was baiting me. Well, she started to laugh....then I laughed......this is how we get along. We all just need to GET ALONG!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies