Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:29 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I say it's economics and what the political parties are really about. If every child were taught something about spending within your means, America wouldn't be putting up with these horrendous giveaways and pork barrel spending we are seeing the past month from the Obama administration.

Children should be taught the basics of national economics. Corporations are NOT evil; they are the very backbone of our economic system. We should teach kids that corporations invest capital, provide innovations, make necessary goods and services, and create jobs. Government does none of these.

Children should be taught to challenge the notion that high achievers should be punished by being disporportionally taxed. Kids have an instinctive understanding of fairness. Try this exercise. Ask the students how they would like to study two hours every night, do extra credit projects, and stay after school for homework help while their classmates go home and do nothing but watch TV and play video games while eating chips and drinking soda, THEN have the lazy classmates receive the better grade? That's basically what's going on with the bailout of people facing foreclosure.

Along the same vein of fairness here's another game: Child A and Child B are running for class president. Child A promises the class that he will pay each a dollar if they vote for him. Child B just promises to work hard if elected, and pledges to try to get the whole class to work harder in school. Child A then steals a $20 bill from Child B, gives a dollar to each class member and keeps the rest for himself. Child A then tells the class how generous he is for giving them money and how Child B is selfish for not wanting to give. Yet it was Child B's money all along. The poorest kids elect Child A, because they wanted the money and didn't want to have to work hard. Child A wins.

Ask the students if they think the above scenarios were fair. Then explain to them that is exactly how the two political parties operate.

Here's a final exercise:

Two people each started a business. Person A spent money very carefully. He saved what he could then bought supplies for his business only when he had enough money. He worked hard, figured out how to draw new customers, served the customers well, and earned money. He then invested that money and opened three other stores, hired a lot of people who worked hard and satisfied the customers.

Person B didn't save enough money to buy a business but he lied about his income and fooled a bank into loaning him that money. He didn't work hard, didn't serve his customers, and didn't invest his money. Instead, he lavished his money on friends and on people who helped him lie to the bank to get money. When his business started to falter, he made up more lies, fooled more banks, and borrowed more money. Finally, he told the banks he wasn't going to pay them anymore, closed the business, and the few workers he had lost their jobs.

Teachers, you don't even have to mention political parties. You don't have to. Just tell them those things are really happening with the two political parties. Appeal to their sense of fairness, and encourage them to develop the political philosophy of their own choosing. If generations of American kids were taught wonderful lessons like this every day in class, our nation would be much more prosperous, there wouldn't be as much dependency, and above all, we wouldn't be electing the folks who caused our current economic problems to "solve" the problem.
Maybe they should be taught how to make money too. If I was Obama, I'd say every kid can go to college if they work to pay for it themselves. No more student loans for parents of students. If they work their way through college maybe they'd appreciate the value of money more. Get a part time job during high school and then a full time job after while you attend college part time until you graduate. Scholarships based on academic merit - okay. Frankly, I'm appalled that kids don't mow lawns or shovel snow anymore for extra bucks and McDonald's has to resort to hiring illegal aliens because of puffy fou-fou kids.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Maybe they should be taught how to make money too. If I was Obama, I'd say every kid can go to college if they work to pay for it themselves. No more student loans for parents of students. If they work their way through college maybe they'd appreciate the value of money more. Get a part time job during high school and then a full time job after while you attend college part time until you graduate. Scholarships based on academic merit - okay. Frankly, I'm appalled that kids don't mow lawns or shovel snow anymore for extra bucks and McDonald's has to resort to hiring illegal aliens because of puffy fou-fou kids.
Laura, sounds like you and I are not living on the same planet. Well, of course, we don't have snow in Miami. Kids mowing lawns? Didn't you know that landscaping is BIG BUSINESS.....and companies do that type of work for the most part these days?

Have you checked on the cost of college tuition lately? Yes, work part time to earn money to pay for the whole thing. Let's see. Maybe a "kid" could get through school by the time they're 35?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Laura, sounds like you and I are not living on the same planet. Well, of course, we don't have snow in Miami. Kids mowing lawns? Didn't you know that landscaping is BIG BUSINESS.....and companies do that type of work for the most part these days?

Have you checked on the cost of college tuition lately? Yes, work part time to earn money to pay for the whole thing. Let's see. Maybe a "kid" could get through school by the time they're 35?
Actually, 35 sounds about right. What's the rush? I don't recall an Eleventh Commandment mandating that one must earn one's baccalaureate by age 22...

Old 03-02-2009, 04:29 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Actually, 35 sounds about right. What's the rush? I don't recall an Eleventh Commandment mandating that one must earn one's baccalaureate by age 22...
Neither have I. And I think going to school until you're 35 or older is fine, too, if one wants to spend that long in school. I think that's a good sign of a less "materialistic" attitude. One might value learning over trying to make boat loads of money by the time they are 35.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Oh, so this is your rock-solid smoking gun that Rush is a pedophile. A link to wiki talking about a discredited partisan fiction filmmaker. I wonder if that would hold up in court. This is what the liberal pukes do. You can't put up a liberal talk show to go against him. All the attempts have been so inept that nobody listens. So, like the cowards you are, you create gossip and innuendo against conservatives who eat your lunch; then pass it off as legitimate.

It's about as legitimate as the fortune you claim to earn. Let me guess. You saw this informercial Jeff Paul's Shortcuts to Millions last night and are basing your wealth claims on the promises therein.

Here's the part that doesn't jibe, skippy. If you made all the money you claim, why would you entrust it all to the incompetent idiot you elected who's in the process of farting it all away? "Oh, my man is doing a great job with the economy." Doesn't quite pass the plausibility test, does it?
Tsk Tsk....back to the name calling that you claim you hate so much...you truly have listened to Rush a lot haven't you...say one thing,do another....Hate drugs,but a druggie...talk up a war,but refuse to fight in one....talk against homosexuals,but then love the little Dominican boys.....you have learned hipocrisy well and Rush would be very proud.

No CLAIM to it on my part...you insinuated that you were successful and I was just a bum bothering a big important person such as yourself..I'm still willing to match yearly,weekly or daily gross anytime you want to.

I never claimed "my man" was doing anything....I have only claimed "your man" was a druggie coward and there are PLENTY of rumors of him being a homosexual pedophile and yet you still sing his praises...what does that make YOU....I would not praise someone unless I thought he was doing something better than me,so I guess you must have some REAL issues you are trying to work out.I hope you make it better or they catch you before it gets worse.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,530,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Very good post, Laura. I agree about kids shoveling the snow and mowing the lawns. It snowed 9 inches here last night. I shoveled mine and three of my neighbors' driveways. It reminded me of when I was a kid and loved days like this because it meant I could shovel all day and make 75 bucks or more. Today, the only kids I saw were sledriding and playing.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post

I agree that you are on a different planet than the rest of us. There are plenty of older neighborhoods with smaller yards that a kid can mow for $$20 a pop. No company would touch them for less than $35, and they'd make them sign up for a yearly contract.

An agile one-person operation can always be more flexible and charge less than a company that has to pay all the ridiculous taxes and extras to have employees. A kid who's good with computers can charge probably a $30 or $40 minimum to go to people's houses, and still beat the hell out of Geek Squad or other companies doing the same thing.

As for college education, I'd say most public universities are in the $15K -$20K range for in-state students. A summer of mowing can get you a few thousand to make a dent in tuition. Work during high school and you can probably come close to knocking out the first year. Do well on AP tests and you can easily graduate in three or three and a half years.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Of course it is important to teach fiscal responsibility. It is also important to teach that we live in a society that is bigger than just ourselves and our immediate families, and it is important that all contribute to make this society a better place instead of just spitting on those less fortunate. And no... private charities are nowhere near enough.

This past decade and especially the past couple years should be teaching valuable lessons that you can depend on yourself and make the right moves and still end up getting the royal shaft and needing assistance from others. Our current model of tossing people by the side of the road like garbage and driving on by because "that could never happen to me, I'm a hard worker and intelligent person" is starting to get a real hard look by people. Unfortunate it takes hard times like this to make it happen.
I don't believe we have the model of "tossing people by the side of the road". Private charities do do enough, and could do more if Obama would let the biggest contributors be free to do what they do best; earn money, create jobs, and give to charitable causes.

Obama's method has never worked at any time. Helping the job-creators has never failed. The template for relief is well known. Why politicians wouldn't use it, and why people who know better aren't squealing on them, is the biggest mystery.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I'm not a "lefty". I think you meant to respond to MrBob's post.
Yes, it was meant for Mr.Bob. Apologies

Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
That's a VERY arrogant assumption that I hope works out for you....you NEVER know what tomorrow may bring for you and you may live to regret those high minded words.
It's arrogant to say I'm not going to saddle my kids? I think it's arrogant to assume they'll pay for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies