Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you or anyone you know personally lost a job?
Yes 54 83.08%
No 11 16.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:58 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Out here, there are so many people out of work & struggling I must find another job...I have been sustaining as an artist, but it has been getting harder and harder to sell my work with so many around me in debt. I am fine with doing jobs here and there when times get tough, it is nothing new to me... what IS new to me is not finding something immediate when I need to...I have always gotten jobs very easily, and now it is a different story. I was told by one employer that she would love to hire me...in April.

There was a comic named Sam Kinison who use to start out talking softly and by the time he was to the punch line, he was yelling at the top of his lungs.

One of the lines he did one time started out about all the starving and hungry people dying in Africa, and how much food we were sending them...

Then screaming, he said we shouldn't be sending them food, we should be sending them Suitcases, so they could move to where the food it at. WE have deserts in America, but people don't live in them to starve, they move to where the food is.

Course it was a lot more entertaining when he did it.

Having said that, not all the places in America have poor economies and sometimes one might consider moving to the places that can sustain one and the talents they have. Moving is sometimes scary, but the rewards can be a lot too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 05:26 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Take the poll.
The poll question doesn't match the title of your thread, and it is poorly worded.

I have lost a job. But not recently. Many yeas ago. I could answer "yes" to your poll question.

I am presently self employed, and have been for the last 16 years. I don't plan on laying myself off. I'm not going to participate in the Obama recession.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:31 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
If you know someone whom hasn't, it is because they have never worked.

Jobs come and go, that is life.

If your job goes away, move to where there are jobs or start a company doing something that nobody else does or you can do better.

Don't sit on your butt waiting for the Government to do it for you, which is what it seems a lot of people are hoping for.,.
Bravo! Nicely put! So many people are bred with the teachings of entitlement.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:33 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The poll question doesn't match the title of your thread, and it is poorly worded.

I have lost a job. But not recently. Many yeas ago. I could answer "yes" to your poll question.

I am presently self employed, and have been for the last 16 years. I don't plan on laying myself off. I'm not going to participate in the Obama recession.
Love it!

Old 03-01-2009, 05:47 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Well, i know a lot of people who work for Circuit City who will be unemployed. I have one friend who got laid off from his blue-collar job in favor of illegals and hasn't found steady employment since.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:52 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

If I wish to edit my own posting, I can change the wording of the thread, but not of the poll. This is a shortcoming of City-Data.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:54 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
My Mother in Law had 19 years with Texas Instruments and was let go at age 59 in their latest round of layoffs.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
I was laid off this year along with over 80% of the people in my company. Fortunately I found another job within 3 weeks, but it is at a lower pay rate than the job I had before, which was already at a lower pay rate than the job I had before that. I will soon have more opportunity for commission and "side work" than I did before, so it's probably a wash pretty soon.

Over 200 people applied for the job I got. I was fortunate that this job is virtually the same one I had a few years ago, and I was therefore a very good fit for my new employer. There are more than 200 other people that were not so fortunate.

BTW, I'm a flaming liberal and I did not take one dime of unemployment while I was looking for a new job (even though I had every right to it), as I have savings and spousal income that could temporarily sustain us.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Bravo! Nicely put! So many people are bred with the teachings of entitlement.
My back yard neighbor worked 21 years for the same company (which was sold about 3 yrs ago) and was laid off in July. He is 58 yrs old. He is still unemployed though looking. He has a master's in physics. Another guy down the street, also with an MS in physics, was laid off in Sept. He is looking, has had lots of interveiws, no new job yet. What a sense of entitlement these guys have, yeah!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
age discrimination

It's happening all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies