Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:13 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,312,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
Damn, you stole my thunder. Good point. The Republicans are in total disaray, they are trotting out all they can find to find direction, from proven liar Jendal, soon to be felon disgraced Delay, hypocritical adultor Newt and the ever present windbags Rush, Beck, Hannity among others.
Then there are the minority leaders in DC...What a trip. Then we got comic relief from Bauchman (You Da Man) who is always good for a laugh at her own party's expense.

I hope they keep driving down the current path. They are digging the hole deeper and deeper. Hilarious. Damn is it good to be a Democrat again.
I think the republican party needs a usurping messiah like we democrats have!
yes, the wrong path can take you nowhere: case in point, we 4 wheeled a few days ago, and nearly became lost in the caballo mountains because all we had was a sketchy map. ahhh hhhhhhhha! we now have a better roadmap, and, a GPS, now we'll know where we're going, which is more than I can say for the repub party.
3rd. party was suggested, but, everyone knows that is nothing but a big joke, all a 3rd. party does is draw voters away from right and left alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 11:44 AM

358 posts, read 470,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
I think the republican party needs a usurping messiah like we democrats have!
yes, the wrong path can take you nowhere: case in point, we 4 wheeled a few days ago, and nearly became lost in the caballo mountains because all we had was a sketchy map. ahhh hhhhhhhha! we now have a better roadmap, and, a GPS, now we'll know where we're going, which is more than I can say for the repub party.
3rd. party was suggested, but, everyone knows that is nothing but a big joke, all a 3rd. party does is draw voters away from right and left alike.
You want to see bipartisan cooperation between Republicans and Democrats? Just let a 3rd party get a foothold. The elephants and donkeys will be a lovefest.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,774,933 times
Default Republican Party Trying to Find Itself?

All they have to do is bend over in front of the mirror and spread their cheeks.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:25 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,362,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
You want to see bipartisan cooperation between Republicans and Democrats? Just let a 3rd party get a foothold. The elephants and donkeys will be a lovefest.

This may be where it's headed. The Republican Party is not going to get its house in order until it (at least) contains the luntic fringe that has usurped power for the last 8 years. The moderates are crushed under their jackboots and have no voice in the GOP anymore. Unless they can remedy that situation the only alternative for the voices of reason is to find a new party.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:34 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,199,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Here's the problem, those who desire a "third party" are so disparate in their political perspective that counting on some nebulous "We Don't Like The Other Two Parties Party" is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Another misnomer is the whole concept of a "third Party." There is no shortage of non-Democatic/Republican Parties in the country that cover a wide spectrum of political philosophies.
There's only one political philosophy that interests me. Severely reduced federal government that serves more efficiently and effectively as an agent of the collective states. As designed by the founders.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:07 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,475,681 times
"Finding itself" requires time, effort, and serious consideration. The GOP is much more likely to do whatever it can to undermine a Democratic Administration and feed off that. Much, much less effort...and it doesn't force them to tax their brains at all. (Sorry for the use of that word 'tax.')

Old 02-28-2009, 04:04 PM

I still do not see how steele, jindal, and palin are about anything different. I'm wondering. if President Obama does good in the eyes of the american public, that is, rotate our troops, or the majority of them out of iraq, brings wall street and big banks to bear answers for the money/loans they've received, trims to budget deficit, comes up with a health care plan accepted by the majority of both political parties, and created the jobs and levels off the economy, in other words, does a good overall job, will people like palin, jindal, mc cain (if he is still around) and steele quit banging the drum of uncertainty and stop calling Mr. Obama a arab terrorist, and quit doing what they're doing now? which is being obstructionists? I really don't see that happening. I think the people picked to lead the republican party couldn't be worse. I'd like to see a more moderate republican lead their party, like huckabee. let's face it, the republican party needs another reagan at best. and, I don't think jindal the liar has the "right stuff", nor does palin. mc cain might, be he would have to pick a different running mate. but, maybe people wouldn't vote mc cain, after all, he is not getting any younger. if Obama does a good job, he'll definitely be difficult to unseat by the right or independents. what sort of hurts independents is that they're not a recognized party in some states, like new mexico. the republican party may be screwed for the next 8 years. maybe that'll give them enough time to re-group and come up with some decent candidates, other than jindal, steele and friends.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:04 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,852,203 times
The Republican party has lost its way and the longer they remain under the control of the bible thumping, broken-record, no idea wingnuts, they'll be in the wilderness. They tried to win an election by calling their opponent an America-hating terrorist (and lost the respect of millions) instead of offering better ideas.

Despite every smokescreen the GOP tries to put up, the American people blame them for the mess we're in. Instead of taking a hard look at themselves and coming back stronger, the Republicans are repeating the same old lines (cut taxes, prayer in schools, they'll take our guns away, etc) which sound like just another bad old movie to the electorate.

They gave up their ideals of balanced budgets, a less interventionist foreign policy, conservation of the envioronment, and true belief in free markets for crony capitalism, neo-imperialist foreign policy (Pat Buchannon's characterization of it), selling mineral rights in national parks for pennies on the dollar, and selling themselves out to lobbyists.

When anti-intellectual types like Michelle Bachman, Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, and Sean Hannity are your ideological models, its no wonder the party is sputtering into the low 30th percentile. Whatever happened to serious Republicans like Alan Simpson, Newt Gingrich, or some of those fine governors from the 80s and 90s? They've been replaced by bombastic nut jobs who throw red meat to the core of the hard right base but turn off everyone else.

Instead of trying to work on a stimulus package, they rejected it outright and have done nothing more than attack it as a failed policy (before its even unfurled and put into action). They've become the nay-sayers - not the can-doers.

The problem is that without a serious competitor, the Democrats will lose their way too since there won't be anyone serious to keep them on their toes. Thus, the idea of a serious third party thrust is not out of the question. The question is whether the GOP goes the way of the Whigs and fades away or finds its soul again and gets back into the game.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:49 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,710,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
I received one of their requests to survey, asking what I thought they could do at the grassroots level to re-build the party. I suggested they review the Libertarian Party platform as a place to start.
Thats amusing for a party that believes in trickle down methodology, one that propagates every aspect of a master-servant relationship.

Based on what I have seen since the elections, however, is they are spending more time criticizing and being obstructionists than building from the grounds up. I see a continuation of the very same philosophies that have governed this party, at least since the 1980s.

As for Libertarians, they need to get a grip and denounce the republican party and come up on their own, as a viable third party, not one that clings onto the neoconic ways, and act like Chihuahuas who bark a lot, but do nothing.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
They gave up their ideals of conservation of the envioronment selling mineral rights in national parks for pennies on the dollar
this part bothers me especially,
State Forest Land May Be Sold -- Part of Bush's Plan to Liquidate Federal Lands - Science - redOrbit

Bush Administration Moves to Sell National Forest Land

because, here in new mexico, we appreciate nature's beauty, and take advantage of it by getting out into the outdoors for recreation. we've seen forest lands sold to special interest cattle ranchers (wealthy) who build multi-million dollar homes on what used to be forest lands. every time we visit the cibola national forest and see private property signs everywhere, it sickens me to think that the government let these lands go for pennies on the dollar to raise money for their other causes. when, they could have gotten the money thru other sources and different methods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies