Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:29 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,201,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Come on Austin, the legal joining the military age is 17 and has been as long as I have been on this Earth and that is a loooooong time you know. Now do you want to go back where we once were or go down another year.

This thing is too silly for me to keep commenting on. Are you wanting to go back and retrieve all those "kids" that lost their lives in Vietnam, Korea, WW II, and WWI or you willing to leave their lives and resulting deaths alone since nobody ever thought about your argument back then.

I often see your argument about legal drinking ages but most of the states don't allow people to drink under 21 so why let them vote so soon.
The point is that if you're old enough to die for your country in the military, you're old enough to vote. I'm sticking with that position.

Some people here are advocating tougher "voting laws" and wish to see the required age to vote raised to either 21 or 25. The logic of that position is that the legal age to join military and go to war for the war gods is to raise the age requirement to join the military.

Roy, go home to that pathetic board you love so much. It's dying a miserable death with only about 10 people posting there. It's more like a private messaging board.

Btw, guess who suggested to FJ to invite you over here? Silly me. I thought it would be a good thing for you because you do love posting on message boards, and your village is getting so small that it cannot possibly be very interesting most of the time. There's much more variety and VOLUME here. In Politics & Other Controversies there are 36,538 THREADS, and over 1 million POSTS. Your little village boasts of 38 active members. Ugh! However, I now regret my suggestion to F.

You're on ignore. I do not want to talk to you.

3,199 posts, read 4,301,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Oh yeah! No voting for people with overdue library books. (I mean, then you actually are IN DEBT to society...not just "sponging off" of it.)
Since we are playing the over the top ridiculous game...
Just donate everything that means anything to you, to charity.

2,159 posts, read 2,574,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Excellent thread. The ignorant, uneducated, illiterate non-taxpayers are growing by leaps and bounds, so needs to be reformed quickly.
Are you related to Jim Crowe by any chance???

Old 03-01-2009, 02:31 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,927,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Seems fair to me. Anybody that is not paying taxes should not have a say over how those of us that do spend them.

I think every American taxpayer or family should have to pay at least $500.
That way when you lose your job, you also lose the right to vote.

[How low and anti-American can these right wingers sink???]

Old 03-01-2009, 02:32 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,172,740 times
No voting for fat people. You've already placed a burden on society more than you can pay in taxes.
No voting for old people. The OP is just not sure you are still smart enough to make good decisions.
No voting for women during certain "irrational" days.
No voting for drivers of foreign cars...you are secretly commies anyway.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:33 PM

36,916 posts, read 18,784,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Since we are playing the over the top ridiculous game...
Just donate everything that means anything to you, to charity.
It's the Christian thing to do.

Jesus would approve, much.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
When I was in the military, I learned a "heck of alot" about the realities of life, politics, war, etc. and not only from sitting in class after class either. Those young people who join the military should have the right to vote, they are serving the nation in a heroic and special way so definitely deserve that privilege. If the others want the voting privilege, they can join up....
The point you guys were making is that ALL CITIZENS under the age of 21 or 25 should NOT be allowed to vote because they are "too dumb" etc., etc., etc. You made a really "wise" sweeping generalization. Following YOUR LOGIC, then clearly ALL CITIZENS under the age of 21 or 25 would be far too dumb to make an informed decision regarding whether or not to join the military.

This conversation had NOTHING whatsoever to do with what one might learn in the military until you guys needed an "exception" to your ridiculous rants about people under 21 and 25 being too dumb to vote. Clearly people learn a lot in college too. Would that be another "exception" to your sweeping generalization that citizens under the age of 21 or 25 NOT be allowed to vote?

Do you see how absurd your thinking and Eeee's thinking on this subject was/is?

Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,574,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Sorry, Austin. You have to know that the younger men are those preferred by the military. They are less likely to have a family and therefore back off in combat. They take orders so much more readily since they have been doing so all their lives.

Anyone who uses that serve in the military makes one old enough to vote is using liberal reasoning and nothing less. I never did agree with the 18 year old voting thing because I taught too many 18 year olds who just weren't mature enough to take part in voting. In fact, all of them were too young.
Your logic is quite perverted and totally cold and calculated (are you related to Karl Rove?)... I completely side with Austin...

You seem perfectly content for 18 year olds to get blown to pieces on the battlefield, and then in the next breath advocate that they NOT be allowed to vote until 21... assuming they live that long that is.

I think that the age for military service should be raised to whatever the legal voting age is. If you're not allowed to vote, you should not be in the military...

Does that mean you will be deprived of your young, male cannon fodder - the ones who won't 'back off in combat' in your own words? Yes - but who cares what you think?

Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 PM

36,916 posts, read 18,784,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
No voting for fat people. You've already placed a burden on society more than you can pay in taxes.
No voting for old people. The OP is just not sure you are still smart enough to make good decisions.
No voting for women during certain "irrational" days.
No voting for drivers of foreign cars...you are secretly commies anyway.

I've been married thirty-one years.

To the same woman, too.

When do the "rational" days start? I'm getting old enough that I don't buy green bananas any more. Do you think she'll get "rational" soon?

Old 03-01-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Are you related to Jim Crowe by any chance???
GOOD POINT..... mrbob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies