U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2009, 03:32 PM
 
Location: New York City
563 posts, read 1,209,095 times
Reputation: 162

Advertisements

First off, I know the term Arab is controversial in itself, and I've come across a number of Lebanese, Syrians, and Egyptians who don't consider themselves Arabs but rather descendents of Phoenicians and such. However, going by US Census definition, we'll include them as Arabs.

My question is why doesn't American society accept Arabs to be part of the White race? Is it because they're tanned? And if so, why do Italians and Greeks classify as White but Arabs do not? Either way, 2/3 of the Arabs in this country are Lebanese and Syrian, they're fully assimilated, Christians, and some are blonde/blue eyed. John Sununu (Bush Sr.'s Chief of Staff), Tony Shalhoub (aka Monk), Doug Flutie, Michael E. Debakey are of Lebanese descent and they could all pass for any American of any European ancestry.

My father tells me this has increased since 9/11. Pre-9/11, many considered Arabs, in particular Lebanese and Syrians, to be White. Then after it, some people in the country just wanted to single us out, as "Arab Americans."

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
 
2,500 posts, read 1,642,058 times
Reputation: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
My question is why doesn't American society accept Arabs to be part of the White race? Is it because they're tanned?
George Hamilton is tanned. Arabs set off bombs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
 
7,352 posts, read 6,385,273 times
Reputation: 1854
First, why is it important to you that Arabs be considered "white"?

Second, by "white," most people mean "Caucasian." Are Arabs "Caucasian"? If so, then they are "white."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:06 PM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,702,216 times
Reputation: 2950
Who says they don't?....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Status: "I've been good, Santa" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: On a hill near a river
14,402 posts, read 12,279,925 times
Reputation: 5754
If being tanned disqualifies one from being considered "white", then I wish I could live in a place where my whiteness could somehow be modified to a degree which would require
me to give up my pasty passport.

Help me out. Send money and help dispatch this poor white dude to someplace warm with abundant sunshine. Hawaii would be nice, but I'd settle for Cabo san Lucas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
1,954 posts, read 2,629,028 times
Reputation: 1263
Why aren't Arabs considered white?

The same reasons why Mexicans aren't considered white.

Why does it really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,702,216 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
First off, I know the term Arab is controversial in itself, and I've come across a number of Lebanese, Syrians, and Egyptians who don't consider themselves Arabs but rather descendents of Phoenicians and such. However, going by US Census definition, we'll include them as Arabs.

My question is why doesn't American society accept Arabs to be part of the White race? Is it because they're tanned? And if so, why do Italians and Greeks classify as White but Arabs do not? Either way, 2/3 of the Arabs in this country are Lebanese and Syrian, they're fully assimilated, Christians, and some are blonde/blue eyed. John Sununu (Bush Sr.'s Chief of Staff), Tony Shalhoub (aka Monk), Doug Flutie, Michael E. Debakey are of Lebanese descent and they could all pass for any American of any European ancestry.

My father tells me this has increased since 9/11. Pre-9/11, many considered Arabs, in particular Lebanese and Syrians, to be White. Then after it, some people in the country just wanted to single us out, as "Arab Americans."

Thoughts?
America has a LONG familiarity with Arabs....from Danny Thomas to Vic Tayback to Jamie Farr, and many more, including those you mentioned. MOST, as you mentioned, are Christians. America does NOT have a long history, nor a familiarity with, Muslims.

Now that Muslim terrorism is 'in the spotlight', and mainstream, law-abiding Muslims seem unable, unwilling, or simply not interested in 'separating themselves' in any convincing way from the 'loonies' in their midst, the 'red flags' have gone up. "Arabs", seen by many Americans as "Muslims", now find themselves the recipients of unwanted attention. Whether this means they're 'white' or 'non-white', I suppose makes NO more sense than the rest of it....but that's what happens when you have 'loonies' in your group.

A similar situation is now occurring with Mexican-Americans...these people, long a part of American society, (and some of them were here before the Americans came west), NOW find themselves embroiled in the "illegal alien" controversy...Why? Because of their inability to meaningfully separate themselves from the illegals, in the eyes of the public...

The public "sees" illegals, knows that the majority are Mexicans, and ASSUMES that anyone remotely "Mexican" must be sympathetic to the illegals. I can assure you this is NOT TRUE at ALL....yet that is what's "assumed".

And we ALL know what happens when we "ass u me"
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Status: "I've been good, Santa" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: On a hill near a river
14,402 posts, read 12,279,925 times
Reputation: 5754
Personally, I think being considered white is vastly overrated.

I'd prefer to waive the whiteness and be considered handsome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
70,010 posts, read 60,539,184 times
Reputation: 20174
Many Mexicans are part Native American, which is not considered "Caucasian". This whole race thing is getting nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Status: "I've been good, Santa" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: On a hill near a river
14,402 posts, read 12,279,925 times
Reputation: 5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Many Mexicans are part Native American, which is not considered "Caucasian". This whole race thing is getting nasty.
I think it's becoming irrelevant. And that's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top