Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times

Advertisements

yes-no- maybe. curiosity killed the cat$$$$$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM

194 posts, read 329,733 times
I can't say how it effects others, but for my family, it's caused us to take a big pause in our normal spending. We were looking for a new house, and will have to put that on hold. I know many of our friends are feeling the same (Rep and Dem alike).

Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I know most are doing trhe same . Savings took a huge rise in just the last month;no confidence.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,116 times
Why wouldn't you buy a house? Interest rates are all time low, prices have dropeed like crazy, and the government is giving $8000 to first time home buyers. Now is the perfect time to buy, not to sell though. The stimulus will create jobs, it will by increasing aggregate demand, thus increasing economic activity and reducing unemployment and deflation.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 PM

11 posts, read 36,766 times
From what I`ve read, the housing market is the only thing right now that can turn the economy around. The stimulus is way too long term. Buy the house.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Why wouldn't you buy a house? Interest rates are all time low, prices have dropeed like crazy, and the government is giving $8000 to first time home buyers. Now is the perfect time to buy, not to sell though. The stimulus will create jobs, it will by increasing aggregate demand, thus increasing economic activity and reducing unemployment and deflation.
You make good points, and I may buy. That said, there are plenty of reasons not to buy.

For one, Obama's next spending bill cuts the amount of tax deductions a family can make on a home, so that's a hit. I have no idea why they pulled that number. I'm sure it's got realtors and home builders scratching their heads, as well.

Then there's the issue of the coming ALT-A and Option ARM crisis that's going to start hitting in the third quarter of this year and is set to peak in 2011. There's over a trillion dollars in real estate tied up in that mess. And the rate of people foreclosing with those loans is already accelerating before payments are even recast. I don't think the blood shed is over in the housing market, and nor do I think the banks are even close to being stable. That's part of the reason they're holding on to TARP funds: the deluge has yet to hit.

Then there's also the uncertainty of holding down a job. If one's in an apartment, is $8,000 enough to take a real gamble? Maybe...

I'm just not so rosey on this "spend-ulus" plan. A lot of this money seems headed to arenas where I see economic stimulus limited to the bare minimum with little utlity.

Ahhhh, to burn down one's home to stay warm...

Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
For one, Obama's next spending bill cuts the amount of tax deductions a family can make on a home, so that's a hit. I have no idea why they pulled that number. I'm sure it's got realtors and home builders scratching their heads, as well.

I'm just not so rosey on this "spend-ulus" plan. A lot of this money seems headed to arenas where I see economic stimulus limited to the bare minimum with little utlity.
Isn't that stupid! If the Dumbocrats want the housing market to recover they should allow full interest deductions to remain - in fact they should increase the deduction by 25% over the amount of interest paid for new home purchases for 5 years. Those idiots in Congress don't make any sense 90% of the time.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 PM

194 posts, read 329,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
It's a good point, and that was why we looked in the first place. With so much uncertainty about how my income will be effected, it's hard t justify such a large purchase right now.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:10 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Nope, it will end up in a massive inflation when the clowns that passed it have to start printing money because they don't have any, business close down because of regressive taxes and continuing bad markets from the Pork instead of the money going to real construction of America... ACORN isn't one of them....

You think the dollars is worthless now, check back in about six months....

Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
they need to bailout out the housing market and small business...and let crysler and gm go chapther 11... there baliling out the wrong end... the money would be spread out more evenly across the board....fixing the foundation is the key to getting the economy rollin again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies