Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekTruth View Post
Making good money is easier than you think.

How do you do it?

1) Find out what jobs pay the salary that you'd like.
2) Then get trained for that job.
3) Then do a good job of selling yourself in your resume and job interview.
4) Work hard once you get the job.
5) Make sure the boss knows your accomplishments.

And there you have it - a good income or you're on the fast-track to getting paid the salary you want.

There's no mystery to it.

I know this because I coach people on this in my career!
Wait...so you're saying that we aren't stuck and can do whatever we want in this country? We don't HAVE to work for minimum wage?

Strange concept. Have ambition and you'll go somewhere.

Weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 12:25 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Clearly those with real medical conditions, whether physical or mental, are in a separate category. Just because I am a Republican does not mean I am without compassion.

By the way, do you know how many millions of Americans are on SSI? Its staggering.
In fact, I do not know how many millions are on SSI. My sister is on SSI, even though she has sufficient private income to live quite comfortably, but her career as a nurse was ended when she was diagnosed with severe ostoporosis, resulting in a collapse of her hip and pelvis. It is true that she can no longer work as an "active" nurse, though she could well work, as most RN's now do, in a "desk" postion. Nevertheless, she feels "entitled". . . . I have been working full time since the beginning of my senior year in H.S., worked and borrowed (and paid back) all of the funds needed to put myself through college, and now, at 63 years of age, find myself needing to continue to be "full time employed" even though my work involves daily hard physical labor, and I am in physical pain almost constantly, and yes, I do sometimes think it is "unfair". Nevertheless, life is not "fair". . . my sister married a man who scrimped and saved, and died young. . . I would not have married him for millions! What's the old saying? "you pays your money and you takes your chances"

Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
A little of both. I'm more "jealous" I guess you could say of the moderately wealthy - say people making over 6 figures, then I am of the super rich CEO's. I probably could have chosen a different major, went to the same amount of school, and made more money. Fine. that's my fault. But I do think that the discrepancy between the corporate leaders and the workers is way too big. That is my complaint. It didn't used to be that way.
Fair enough. Life is what you make of it, and in my opinion it starts at a very young age with solid decision-making and with a lot of input from parents and family...

I'll give you an example of someone you may be "jealous" of that is "moderately wealthy" as you put it. My son received a lot of advice, encouragement and help from me and my wife starting before he was even in pre-school. He attended private school from pre-K through middle school. He requested to go to a large public school for high school because he felt his chances for an equal education was just as good as private school with the special classes being offered...and because he thought he could stand-out as an exceptional student in a large class, which is something he did.

He attended a large university and received a double major in political science and economics with a 4.0 (out of 4.0) in both majors...graduating in 3 years. He took the hardest and most challenging classes he could. He attended the University of Cambridge in England as a single student admission on special permission from the Dean his first summer. He could have graduated in 2 1/2 years but decided instead to write a thesis and graduate in May. His thesis is now a bound book and in the school's libraries and is required reading of students writing a thesis in a number of the professor's classes. He was Dean's list all three years and graduated with a ranking of 7th in his class of thousands based on difficulty of classes...and the only one ranked that high who graduated in only three years.

In his second year (prior to his last year) of undergraduate school he interviewed on campus to work as a summer analyst for a bulge-bracket investment bank in NYC. The IB interviewed thousands of rising seniors from tier 1 schools across the nation. He was eventually 1 of 44 rising senior students chosen to work at the investment bank on Wall Street during the summer prior to his senior year. He was the youngest summer analyst the IB ever hired being only 20 years-old at the time. As was typical the IB offered half the summer analysts a full-time job after graduating and he was 1 of 22 offered a full-time job after graduating, which he accepted.

He worked for the investment bank for two years in NYC, learning and specializing in M&As, IPOs, finance, debt and equity, analysis, etc. and learning about Wall Street's deal-making. He worked well over 100 hours every week, and pulled all-nighters - Wall Street never sleeps! He dealt with CEOs, CFOs, attorneys, etc. on many "deals" and in his second year led many deals to closings, some of which were valued well into the billions of dollars. His two years on Wall Street with a bulge-bracket investment bank is considered the equivalent of receiving a Harvard MBA.

In his second year with the investment bank he studied for the LSAT and received a score of 176, which gave him a top percentile score for all the tier 1 Ivy law schools (Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc.). He graduated from an Ivy League law school at the top of his class, was awarded the school's scholar award for recognition of superior academic achievement, was on the school's law review and taught classes on corporate law as a teaching fellow. When you go to an Ivy law school all the students are extremely smart and have a special or unique background that makes them stand out. That said, a few questions come to mind that sets the mold of all high achievers... Did my son have to get involved with all these extracurricular activities in law school? No. Were other students vying for the same opportunities? Yes! Does he like to compete? Absolutely! Does he like to compete against the very best-of-the-best? You bet! Does he like to win? Yes! Is this the type of person that commands a moderately high income? I would certainly hope so?

My son is an corporate attorney for one of the country's top law firms based in NYC with offices all over the world. His first year (beginning) salary and bonus was over $200k at barely 26 years-old that has climbed steeply with each year. 5th year associates approach $400k and partners of the firm have 7 figure incomes. He works in one of the firms offices located in a large southwestern city that has one of the nation's lowest cost-of-living so his income goes a long way compared to many large cities. (What's funny is that if he had stayed with the Wall Street IB instead of going to law school his salary would have been 7 figures by the time he graduated law school...but now Wall Street has fallen on hard times...and he would have had to stay in NYC where cost-of-living is high.)

My son's education, his path and accomplishments, as well as the luck (being in the right place at the right time), is no doubt rare. But similar stories can be told about most every moderately high-earner in all fields of employment. In just about every single case these moderately high-earners have a great education, have done all the right things in life, were given excellent advice and encouragement by parents and mentors, and without doubt worked extremely hard to get to where they are.

It is my belief that people can be jealous of these people's elite accomplishments, but I do not think people should be jealous of their moderate wealth. They have worked extremely hard to achieve their goals. It is my opinion that people are usually always paid salaries equal to the value they bring their employers. There are always exceptions to these rules, but most of these people are highly intelligent, highly educated, high profile, high energy, highly competitive, extremely hard working individuals. And most of the time the people who are jealous of such people have no clue what these people went through to get to where they are...and they have no clue how or what they do or know that allows them to earn their sizable incomes.

Like I said, life is what you make of it... Early good decision-making in life and solid parental guidance is paramount to achieving success.

Last edited by Kootr; 03-03-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
You are incorrect. The majority of Fortune 1000 CEO compensation comes in the form of stock options, or "ownership" in the company. The Board wants the CEO to behave as if the company was his, so they give him or her ownership -
But that's exactly where the big distortion is. Someone from outside, steps in one day and becomes a billionaire. Where is the hard work that the trolls repeat as mantra? The example of the owner who built his company from scratch over many years and then sells it for 10M is not at the center of attention now. He is not the guy who got rich over night and sucks the company dry while it is losing money and eliminates jobs. Can you understand how this practice creates class wars? It is not the democratic party , but these crazy practices that became so frequent over the last 20 years. These CEOs are only employees, like any other, albeit with a high responsibility and a much higher pay. But (in most cases) they aren't owners and didn't risk one penny of their money. And when it is suggested to raise taxes on these individuals, there is fierce opposition...

Last edited by oberon_1; 03-03-2009 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Fair enough. Life is what you make of it, and in my opinion it starts at a very young age with solid decision-making and with a lot of input from parents and family...

I'll give you an example of someone you may be "jealous" of that is "moderately wealthy" as you put it. My son received a lot of advice, encouragement and help from me and my wife starting before he was even in pre-school. He attended private school from pre-K through middle school. He requested to go to a large public school for high school because he felt his chances for an equal education was just as good as private school with the special classes being offered...and because he thought he could stand-out as an exceptional student in a large class, which is something he did.

He attended a large university and received a double major in political science and economics with a 4.0 (out of 4.0) in both majors...graduating in 3 years. He took the hardest and most challenging classes he could. He attended the University of Cambridge in England as a single student admission on special permission from the Dean his first summer. He could have graduated in 2 1/2 years but decided instead to write a thesis and graduate in May. His thesis is now bound in books and in the school's libraries and is required reading by students writing a thesis a number of professor's classes. He was Dean's list all three years and graduated with a ranking of 7th in his class of thousands based on difficulty of classes...and the only one ranked that high who graduated in only three years.

In his second year (prior to his last year) of undergraduate school he interviewed on campus to work as a summer analyst for a bulge-bracket investment bank in NYC. The IB interviewed thousands of rising seniors from tier 1 schools across the nation. He was eventually 1 of 44 rising senior students chosen to work at the investment bank on Wall Street during the summer prior to his senior year. He was the youngest summer analyst the IB ever hired being only 20 years-old at the time. As was typical the IB offered half the summer analysts a full-time job after graduating and he was 1 of 22 offered a full-time job after graduating, which he accepted.

He worked for the investment bank for two years in NYC, learning and specializing in M&As, IPOs, finance, debt and equity, analysis, etc. and learning about Wall Street's deal-making. He worked well over 100 hours every week, and pulled all-nighters - Wall Street never sleeps! He dealt with CEOs, CFOs, attorneys, etc. on many "deals" and in his second year lead many deals to closings, some of which were valued well into the billions of dollars. His two years on Wall Street with a bulge-bracket investment bank is considered the equivalent of receiving a Harvard MBA.

In his second year with the investment bank he studied for the LSAT and received a score of 176, which gave him a top percentile score for all the tier 1 Ivy law schools (Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc.). He graduated from an Ivy League law school at the top of his class, was awarded the school's scholar award for recognition of superior academic achievement, was on the school's law review and taught classes on corporate law as a teaching fellow. When you go to an Ivy law school all the students are extremely smart and have a special or unique background that makes them stand out. That said, a few questions come to mind that sets the mold of all high achievers... Did my son have to get involved with all these extracurricular activities in law school? No. Were other students vying for the same opportunities? Yes! Does he like to compete? Absolutely! Does he like to compete against the very best-of-the-best? You bet! Does he like to win? Yes! Is this the type of person that commands a moderately high income? I would certainly hope so?

My son is an corporate attorney for one of the country's top law firms based in NYC with offices all over the world. His first year (beginning) salary and bonus was over $200k at barely 26 years-old that has climbed steeply with each year. 5th year associates approach $400k and partners of the firm have 7 figure incomes. He works in one of the firms offices located in a large southwestern city that has one of the nation's lowest cost-of-living so his income goes a long way compared to many alrge cities. (What's funny is that if he had stayed with the Wall Street IB instead of going to law school his salary would have been 7 figures by the time he graduated law school...but now Wall Street has fallen on hard times...and he would have had to stay in NYC where cost-of-living is high.)

My son's education, his path and accomplishments, as well as the luck (being in the right place at the right time), is no doubt rare. But similar stories can be told about most every moderately high-earner in all fields of employment. In just about every single case these moderately high-earners have a great education, have done all the right things in life, were given excellent advice and encouragement by parents and mentors, and without doubt worked extremely hard to get to where they are.

It is my belief that people can be jealous of these people's elite accomplishments, but I do not think people should be jealous of their moderate wealth. They have worked extremely hard to achieve their goals. It is my opinion that people are usually always paid salaries equal to the value they bring their employers. There are always exceptions to these rules, but most of these people are highly intelligent, highly educated, high profile, high energy, highly competitive, extremely hard working individuals. And most of the time the people who are jealous of such people have no clue what these people went through to get to where they are...and they have no clue how or what they do or know that allows them to earn their sizable incomes.

Like I said, life is what you make of it... Early good decision-making in life and solid parental guidance is paramount to achieving success.
Congrats to your son. He sounds very successful. Jealous was maybe the wrong word to use. My point is that you can't always generalize that the people who make less are less educated. It is not always the case. And it is unfortunate that sometimes the people doing the most important work, make less money than, say, a professional athlete. And the higher ups making all the money are not always more educated than the workers making a ton less.
My husband works for a faith-based hospital system. I have no doubt that he's capable of running the place someday. But he watches people of this particular faith (which we are not) come straight out of faith-based college, and into management positions. There is no starting at the bottom and working up. They are no more educated or smarter than my husband, and have less work experience.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:15 PM

370 posts, read 440,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinDenver View Post
Then chose a job that makes the money you want, then work for that job. People with your attitude will always be on this forum complaining.

I did, and I did it for 10 years then it was outsourced.

What type of attitude was that? Play by the rules and do a good job? No I tried that and it didnt make a difference

Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
The problem is that a few corrupt CEOs are the ones the liberals are throwing out there to signify EVERYONE with money. They're .000001% of the wealthy population. The VAST majority of wealthy people are those that have busted their butt to get where they're at, have brought many people up with them, have created millions of jobs and give more to charity than you could ever imagine.

But the left demonizes a few corrupt ones (that most conservatives want to see punished as well) just to get people on their side.

Now those getting punished are those that are hard working Americans that have risen to the top of their field. It's pathetic and what's more pathetic is that people just look at Obama and believe whatever it is he says because they're so smitten with him.

He's trying to dismantle our way of life and you're just going along with him because he's a well dressed, talented public speaker.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 PM

370 posts, read 440,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Wait...so you're saying that we aren't stuck and can do whatever we want in this country? We don't HAVE to work for minimum wage?

Weird.

Lol, yes its that simple. If you have a family, mortgage etc... to support screw them! I think Im going to become a brain surgeon.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:23 PM

194 posts, read 329,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
I did, and I did it for 10 years then it was outsourced.

What type of attitude was that? Play by the rules and do a good job? No I tried that and it didnt make a difference
Every job is cyclical to some degree. When I was in Sil Valley, the engineers and entrepreneurs where living it up like they were kings of the world. I've never seen such wealth. Now everyone is hurting, some of my family included. It sucks that your job is outsourced. But that wasn't my point. My point was that if you want a $100k job, you should work towards a $100k job. If you want a $200k job, then do so. I don't think that a person who makes $100k should be envious of a person of a person who makes $200k.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:32 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post

Weird.
Have ambition and you could go anywhere... Have none and YOU will go NOWHERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies