Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you support, regardless of electability potential?
The Democratic Party 19 24.68%
The Republican Party 16 20.78%
The Libertarian Party 30 38.96%
The Constitution Party 6 7.79%
The Green Party 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ok my 2 faced friends. So far Libertarian is winning by a mile. So why did none of you vote in the real election that way.

Funny thing. When we had so many of these polls right here before the real election, Ron Paul won all....not some, not a few...he won every poll we did here. yet he got little real support when it counted.

I dont get it. Is every one here lying???
Dont look at me, Just check my ballot. Bob Barr was the only libertarian candidate on that ballot period and i did vote for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Quote:
Ok my 2 faced friends. So far Libertarian is winning by a mile. So why did none of you vote in the real election that way.

Funny thing. When we had so many of these polls right here before the real election, Ron Paul won all....not some, not a few...he won every poll we did here. yet he got little real support when it counted.

I did vote that way in the last election...and I caught a rash of **** from the Right and Left for it...I was called names. Accused of 'voting for the other guy" - whomever that was, depending on whether it was a Democrat or a Republican barking at me.

But I voted my conscience anyway.

Sticks and stones, all that.

The problem is, so far, Libertarian candidates, in my opinion, are kinda flaky. I look forward to the day I see one with real potential...if things keep going the way there are, that day might be sooner than later.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
What?? Barr got less than 15 votes???

Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
BRAIN FART: there = they're...THEY.

I blame the cold medicine.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 AM

558 posts, read 818,517 times
I’d vote Libertarian, though I have no idea why the Libertarian party continues to focus on the presidency. I think they need to forget all about the presidency for the time being and dump their resources into securing positions that are more attainable (i.e. local government, state reps, etc.).

As for their platform, one thing that doesn’t make sense to me is the notion that businesses will completely regulate themselves. I understand the concept of an economy regulating itself in the sense that if you create a bubble by influencing lending rates, for example, it’ll eventually deflate. But I have no idea how that translates into corporations regulating themselves other than in terms of production. I don’t see them as being any different than people when it comes to that matter. Just as there will always be some knucklehead who robs a liquor store, there will always be a business that tries to avoid fees by illegally dumping waste (this is rampant in Italy, for example) or using inferior paint to finish off their toys, etc. I think many of the posts I’ve seen on this forum fail to distinguish between these two types of regulation. To me, one is simply a phenomenon or attribute while the other might be oversight or guidelines. That’s why I believe our economic policy should be one of oversight and accountability, but little intervention. (If you think that’s a contradiction you’ll just have to think about it for a while longer.)

The rest of their platform sounds wonderful!

Also, I highly doubt this poll reflects the party percentages represented on this board. It's more likely that Libertarians are simply more interested in these types of polls.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:

I voted for Bob Barr who was on the Libertarian ticket, in case you didn't know
And it was the first time in decades that I had been able to leave the polls without feeling I merely voted for the lesser of the two evils.
You ought to try it sometime

Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Libertarian Party Preamble:
As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others. We believe that respect for individual rights is the essential precondition for a free and prosperous world, that force and fraud must be banished from human relationships, and that only through freedom can peace and prosperity be realized.

Consequently, we defend each person's right to engage in any activity that is peaceful and honest, and welcome the diversity that freedom brings. The world we seek to build is one where individuals are free to follow their own dreams in their own ways, without interference from government or any authoritarian power.

Ironically, the libertarian party would construct the least free society the US has ever seen. A land where only the rich have priveledge over even the basic of neccessities, a land where generational wealth controls all, a land where many will starve, and millions will be enslaved to capital ownership. A heavily polluted land where millions will line up with their hands out to the overstrained "charity" entities. A land where few can afford the luxury of healthcare, or security in their old age. A land where housing does not exist for the lowest income levels, which will create shanty towns abound.

Libertarianism is the worst possible form of government that could possibly exist. It is the worst combination of laissez faire capitalism, and fiscal conservatism one could logically put together. I fear what would happen if this party had any real control.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:43 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Ironically, the libertarian party would construct the least free society the US has ever seen. A land where only the rich have priveledge over even the basic of neccessities, a land where generational wealth controls all, a land where many will starve, and millions will be enslaved to capital ownership. A heavily polluted land where millions will line up with their hands out to the overstrained "charity" entities. A land where few can afford the luxury of healthcare, or security in their old age. A land where housing does not exist for the lowest income levels, which will create shanty towns abound.

Libertarianism is the worst possible form of government that could possibly exist. It is the worst combination of laissez faire capitalism, and fiscal conservatism one could logically put together. I fear what would happen if this party had any real control.

Why? Do you have any reasons for these statements? I am afraid of what IS HAPPENING because of republican/democrat control. Pick up a newspaper and read any given headline. Those are the things our current political system allows to happen...

Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 AM

272 posts, read 407,919 times
I hvae a feeling the Republican party is going to be phased out in the future and the Democrats will soon be against the Green Party and Libertarians

Of course Libertarians are insane and probably scarier then the Republicans, but it will be there and hopefully they wont win

I mean what do they want, to get rid of the government and go back to the 1700s?

I think the Democrats will be going against the Green party in the future, all the "corporate" right wing folks who hate the Democrats will probabaly join that party and the Democrats will be seen as the evil in the country

Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 AM

558 posts, read 818,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdestroyedlife View Post
Of course Libertarians are insane and probably scarier then the Republicans, but it will be there and hopefully they wont win

I mean what do they want, to get rid of the government and go back to the 1700s?
No, they just want to be left alone to live peacefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies