Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 03:43 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,507,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I haven't noticed many liberals beside the OP and little by him talking about the statement of Sotomayor that caused this thread to begin. She said that female Latinos are superior in thinking to white males and I don't see any of our lefthanded friends even talking about that. All they can think of is that Rush reported her words and called them racist. If they weren't racist what were they? It is a cinch that if Justice Scalia had reversed the people and said those same words the libs would be going wild about his racism. Here they are only howling about Rush to take the truth about the woman from the page.
don't forget this one:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,245,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
don't forget this one:
So she's a racist because she was among one of 8 other judges that decided not to hear the Hartford firefighter case? Do you even listen to yourself? I'll re-post my thoughts on this manufactured "racist" controversy:
--------------------------------
Do you have more "snippets" that would shine light on what she was discussing? If she was discussing how certain rulings impact certain classes of people, then I think it's a valid point. Does anyone think that if the SC had more women, they would have ruled how they did on the Ledbetter case?

For those ignorant of the Ledbetter case, it had to do with pay discrimination. As you know, companies cannot pay women less than men simply for being female. Ledbetter worked in a factory (I belive). She discovered close to her retirement age that men of equal position, seniority and performance were making from $2-$5K more per month than she was. She sued for past years of discrimination. The company argued that she can only sue for the past 180 days of discrimination based on the statute of limitations. Until then, courts had held that each paycheck was an act of discrimination and so the statute of limitations clock re-set with each discriminatory paycheck.

The Supreme Court disagreed! They actually held that, no, even though there was no way for a woman to know that she was being discriminated against until she found out, she could only go back 180 days! So if you have been discrminated against for 20 years, you only get to go back 6 months... can you see how that would be devastating to women and how that lets the company get off almost scot-free?

Well, in that situation, I do think that a diverse court that would be impacted by such a decision would have reached a different conclusion. So, when Judge Sotamayor talks about her ethnicity, it does not mean that it makes her a better judge, but that her background gives her more insight into the real-world impact of these decisions that, frankly, a rich white male may not "get."

Old 05-26-2009, 05:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,031,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Ok, I can see how an ignorant person reading that sole sentence from Sotamayor might be able to make some attenuated racism claim against her... now what has President Obama said that may be perceived as such? Why am I talking logically about a Rush Limbaugh statement? Damnit!! I got sucked in... please ignore.
Oh, dear. The thought police are trying to get the Newspeak gathered.

Some of the dumbards are actually looking at her record.

Hateful, sexist, racists for that, huh????

Old 05-26-2009, 05:31 PM

471 posts, read 586,860 times
Most who dislike him have never listened to him, they read the same 4-5 lines, taken out of context, that he has said, and blast him.

Yawn....

Old 05-26-2009, 05:41 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,927,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Most who dislike him have never listened to him, they read the same 4-5 lines, taken out of context, that he has said, and blast him.

Yawn....
Some people just don't like him. Even some Republicans, like me. No big deal. People should listen to what they like.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 PM

471 posts, read 586,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Some people just don't like him. Even some Republicans, like me. No big deal. People should listen to what they like.
I will agree with that, just like some people don't like Dick Cheney or Colin Powell.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,365,858 times
he walks he rages, he waddles he is angry, he's got an SUV, he refuses to deal with his own stuff but loves to rave about everybody else, he is just like us---- limbaugh for president!!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,507,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
So she's a racist because she was among one of 8 other judges that decided not to hear the Hartford firefighter case?
affirmative action is racist by definition. if she supports it, she deserves the title.

'among one of 8 other judges'?

Quote:
The Supreme Court in April of this year heard the arguments for another case over which Sotomayor presided (http://www.knx1070.com/Bio--Sonia-Sotomayor/4472711 - broken link). She joined the controversial opinion of a three-judge panel (http://www.knx1070.com/Bio--Sonia-Sotomayor/4472711 - broken link)in February 2008 that rejected an appeal by a group of New Haven, Conn. firefighters protesting the fire department's promotion process.
Quote:
Do you even listen to yourself?
listen to myself say 'don't forget this one'?

why, yes, i sometimes do. is that important?

Quote:
I'll re-post my thoughts on this manufactured "racist" controversy:
--------------------------------
<<assorted off-topic drivel about the ledbetter case having zero to do with sotomayer>>
sorry, that wasn't particularly illuminating at all. or even relevant.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,466,982 times
Rush is Only calling it for what it is. If that is racist then so be it.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:21 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,442,738 times
Quote:
"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life," Sotomayor said.
Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor rose from humble roots - Los Angeles Times

So does that mean she is allowed to discriminate based on color or possible upbringings? How about familial status? Handicap? Race? Creed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies