Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,698,045 times

Advertisements

I heard a prominent Christian leader being interviewed and he slipped up. He began to say that the only reason they push anti-abortion and homosexual bigotry measures so hard is because it puts buts in the seats and brings money in for them.

Then he stopped himself.

Sad state of affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,185,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I enjoy your posts, you put some thought into them. In your second paragraph I think you have a significant error-conservatives still do support those things you bring up, it is modern version of the GOP that has abandoned them. And of course the Democratic party never did.

As someone that supports strong fiscal conservatism, limited government, supports a balanced budget amendment, is pro gun rights and also supports choice and science backed by science rather than mysticism, I feel pretty abandoned by both parties. I think that actually reflects the feelings of a pretty big portion of our population, and is a leading cause of so much dissention in the country these days. There are so few elected officials in DC that share these views.

The reason I said Conservatives instead of Republicans was simply due to many people who proclaim themselves conservative yet in truth, merely follow the mantra of contemporary Republicanism. For example, Rush Limbaugh, Lindsy Graham, John McCain, for starters. Now folks are welcome to think what they like about these men, but their version of conservatism seems to be what contemporary Republicans today consider a conservative to be, which is military interventionist, yell lower taxes, and embrace a social conservative agenda, that's pretty much it.

Another reason why I don't understand the methodology that the right is using today against Obama, as little of it will ever stick considering the past 8 years. Republicans can scream and point about the massive spending, yet the last administration was one of the worst transgressors of spending and not only that, they expanded the size and scope of the federal government which is totally contrary to both fiscal conservatism and smaller government conservatives. They simply adopted a position generally held by the left but since it applied to national security issues, they slipped it in under the guise of defense related necessity. Lets face it, both Republicans and Democrats salivate over spending tax payers monies and neither has been a champion of controlling government spending, despite having a few lonely voices like Paul.

Even on issues such as those under the umbrella of social conservatism were not really addressed in the past 8 years and I assert that social conservatives in America were simply used like cattle by Republicans as a voting bloc. What social conservative positions were actually passed during a Repubilcan majority in Congress with a Republican in the Executive? Has Roe v Wade been over turned? Has gay marriage been eliminated as an issue? I can't think of very many tangible issues that were passed on behalf of social conservatives despite having the best opportunity to do so. These issues were merely floated out on a balloon like red meat to keep the pot stirred and keep this bloc at the polling booth, that is it.

With years of operating under many left positions while touting things like security and taxes, the right has abandoned conservatism and most wouldn't know one if they met one on the street today. I mean people forget that you can be a Democrat and be a conservative and I only have to point towards my own Congressman from District 6 here in Tennessee, Bart Gordon. While a Democrat, he takes many more conservative positions than north eastern Republicans and while he tends to be more of a champion of the poor (as his district consist of poor Appalachia) he is still quite conservative on a good number of issues.

Personally, I think this is exactly what the GOP needs right now is a realignment and reorganization to actually define itself again. Not by mere finger pointing but with reasonable policies, plans and ideas. The GOP needs a modern day Buckley or similar and to purge from its ranks, the slacking freepers and red meat jumpers.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:26 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,030,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
McCain had pandered to the religious right long before Palin came on board.
No, he didn't, that is why he chosen Palin in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
But, he pandered to the far social right. He stopped being a deep, wise leader and started being a facade smiling uncomfortably (which is always a sign that he's just saying what he has to say). If he would have stayed centrist he would have probably taken the Upper Midwest working class vote.
Not really, McCain was a Moderate when it came to Social issues, he did not prioritize social agendas over ones that actually matter. However, later in the campaign he copied Obama's method of being vague, and preventing anyone from zeroing in on what he really planned to do.

Then it just so happened that the financial and economic crisis erupted prior to the election, and served as McCain's gaffe, assuring a Democratic victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungrepublican View Post
What this country needs is another Ronald Reagan Conservative in the White House.
That was a once in a lifetime thing, Reagan got us out of stagflation and then recession, not a complete collapse of key financial sectors (actually he did a bit later, but not quite on the magnitude of the current situation).

Reagan was the first Conservative president since the New Deal, and I suspect future Republicans over the next few years will be Democrat arse kissers...

Old 03-15-2009, 09:41 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,146,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
A Republican who was a true small government, fiscal conservative but that supports treating gays like human beings and also keeping science in its rightful place.
I'm 35. I might vote for someone like that. I'm more willing to compromise my views on the financial issues than the social ones.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,582,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

Reagan was the first Conservative president since the New Deal
Is Gerald Ford already forgotten?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:44 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,834,712 times
I would like to vote for a true fiscal conservative that supports a citizen living life how they want, provided it is not hurting another. As long as a person is pulling their own weight in society, I could care less what they do behind closed closed doors. Unfortunately that is a tall order for the crop of thieves we elect time and again.
What would really sweeten the deal is someone with the courage to put an end to our entitlement society. Not all at once of course, as that could be catastrophic, but phased out over a generation. The federal gov desperately needs to return to its purpose. It was never supposed to be as intrusive as it has become. We simply cannot sustain the course we are on, and both parties have equal blame as far as I am concerned.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:52 PM

182 posts, read 103,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

That was a once in a lifetime thing, Reagan got us out of stagflation and then recession, not a complete collapse of key financial sectors (actually he did a bit later, but not quite on the magnitude of the current situation).

Reagan was the first Conservative president since the New Deal, and I suspect future Republicans over the next few years will be Democrat arse kissers...
the myth of Reagan, hasnt it been established Reagan is why we are where we are at today

Who ran up the massive deficit a deficit that went from 1 trillion in the first 200 years of America to 5 Trillion by the time Reagan left

Who began deregulating all the banks and wall street so they can do what they want

Who began arming Saddam and Osama who later became our enemies who also helped to the decline of the USA

Reagan was the worst thing to happen to America, he was such a soft spoken nin com poop that peope actaully think he was a good president, or they just buy the Republican propoganda that says he was a good president

Old 03-15-2009, 03:07 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,386,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungrepublican View Post
What this country needs is another Ronald Reagan Conservative in the White House.
Certainly not Reagan takes the cake as far as spending is concerned. If anything we need another Bill Clinton type Democrat in the White House to cut spending, and balence the budget. I would be thankful if a sex scandal was all I had to worry about these days.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:33 PM

8 posts, read 13,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Young people are the most gullible segment of society. I would say 70% of Generation Y kids that voted for Obama did so because everybody else was doing it, this is the most apathetic generation in hundreds of years.

This is a sad statement, because my peers and I and thousands of other "young gullible people" did our homework, past and present and made the PERSONAL CHOICE to vote for Obama. It was nothing about following everyone else or doing what other people wanted. Republicans is where peer pressure is in politics, it is almost non existent anymore in students and young people. It has gotten less as generations go on due to the fact we are more educated and taught it IS ok to stand up for yourself and respect comes from that. IMHO the republicans wouldnt allow such a person as mentioned in the question to be in a high enough position to represent them. Hence the initial reason that Obama is hated so much by the republicans and whine about EVERY decision he makes. Insults to the generations that are going to be running things in a few years are not the way to get a future republican vote. Remember that bad ALWAYS travels faster than good. To answer the question though, what you have described is a Democrat truly.

Last edited by Allyrayj; 03-15-2009 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 13,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questionwhy View Post
the myth of Reagan, hasnt it been established Reagan is why we are where we are at today

Who ran up the massive deficit a deficit that went from 1 trillion in the first 200 years of America to 5 Trillion by the time Reagan left

Who began deregulating all the banks and wall street so they can do what they want

Who began arming Saddam and Osama who later became our enemies who also helped to the decline of the USA

Reagan was the worst thing to happen to America, he was such a soft spoken nin com poop that peope actaully think he was a good president, or they just buy the Republican propoganda that says he was a good president
The issue is not who started it, its what we are going to do about it. Past is past, only with a big mess to clean up this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies