Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:35 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times

Advertisements

Despite all the complaining going on here about Obama.. you would do well to realize that he is listening to public opinion. He toys with an idea, discusses it and then draws a conclusion of what would be best by LISTENING to all sides of the case/argument.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/us...r=1&ref=health

Quote:
The press secretary said Mr. Obama had heeded the concerns of veterans’ organizations that feared the proposal could make it more difficult for some of their members to obtain care.
Quote:
Glen M. Gardner Jr., national commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, said Mr. Obama had told veterans on Monday that he would listen to their concerns. “The president kept to his word and made the right decision,” Mr. Gardner said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:37 AM

438 posts, read 831,884 times
Whoopie!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 AM

I'm just saying that so many are sitting and looking for anything ANYTHING to declare our President a failure. They'd rather see him fail then see this country recovered from this diasaster. It's like they are dogs salivating at a nice slab of meat and at any sign of anything they pounce.

It's quite disgusting. Give him a chance, watch what the government does, speak your mind and write your Senators. If something is passed that you initially didn't agree with, then see how it plays out .. wether it was a failure or a success.. If you were right.. great.. if you were wrong..you were wrong. AND I'd rather be wrong in this case than be right..

Let's get this country BACK to what it should be.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,783 times
I agree....if you are going to bash him for promoting or bringing up a ridiculous (if that's your opinion) idea, then when he decides to drop it due to backlash, then that deserves a little credit as well.

This applies to most ideas, not all, though.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
I agree....if you are going to bash him for promoting or bringing up a ridiculous (if that's your opinion) idea, then when he decides to drop it due to backlash, then that deserves a little credit as well.

This applies to most ideas, not all, though.
Yes.. absolutely. And I think what the President is doing is not closing himself off to anything, which is a positive thing , and thinking really hard about it's effectiveness and listening to everyone than making his decision (and not only to public opinion, of course.. but also to partisan opinion and ideas). This is good.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:51 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
I have no problem giving him credit for retracting the horrible idea of making disabled veterans pay for their own health care. I do, however, have a problem with him bringing up the silly idea in the first place.

If Dubya came up with the idea he would have probably gone ahead out of stubbornness, I have to admit.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I have no problem giving him credit for retracting the horrible idea of making disabled veterans pay for their own health care. I do, however, have a problem with him bringing up the silly idea in the first place.

If Dubya came up with the idea he would have probably gone ahead out of stubbornness, I have to admit.
What he/she said!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:02 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,783 times
Quote:

Thats why I said it doesnt work for every idea, but you get the point.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Thank you for admitting the second part of your post.I was thinking it, but didn't want to say it.

As far as him bringing up the idea, I doubt he thought of that out of left field by himself. No idea is really truly stupid until it is evaluated then discareded. It becomes a stupid idea if actually implemented and is a diasaster

I will say that the proposal WASN'T to have Veterans pay for it themselves.. it was to have the PRIVATE insurance they may carry to pay out the claims . So it would have been the insurance companies of which policies are held that would be billed, NOT the Veteran himself. I'm not saying either way of that is a good or bad thing, I'm just saying that most were twisting it around as if the Veteran was going to be handed this bill and forced to pay for his treatment out of his own pocket.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,091 times
We don't need anyone who leads from the front, makes difficult and sometimes unpopular decisions or even anticpates problems. I think they should install insta-poll machine feeds right to his blackberry so he can follow the masses and change policy within seconds of any issue getting to 51%.

The insanity of the VA issue aside, of course, when are we going to elect real leaders to represent us?

We've not had any in quite a while. I can't stand it when these guys "float" an idea to see what happens. If you can justify your policy changes, stick to your guns and bring it to the congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies