U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,514,731 times

Advertisements

I was listening to the radio today and they were talking about some teenager girl in Cincinatti who commited suicide after her ex boyfriend share a nude picture of her with some of his buddies. Apparently, sending nude pictures to friends is the new trend and it seems like 30% of teenagers are doing this on a regular basis. I live in a neighborhood which is adjacent to the University of Minnesota and these Generation Y kids are some of the most immoral, stupid and characterless people I have ever dealt with in my life. I am far from being an old person, I am 31 and even 10 years ago, I don't remember my generation being this "lost". Although I understand a lot of these kids are just a product of some pretty screwed up parents, the total lack of character, common sense, spirituality, values and ethics with these kids is just appaling!

Friends Hope Teen's Death Warns Others Against 'Sexting' - WLWT-TV- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29556412/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 PM

812 posts, read 2,116,374 times
oh please, they aren't worse. just because kids before couldn't text explicit material is because they didn't have a cellphone back then.

she learned the hard way about betrayal.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,080,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was listening to the radio today and they were talking about some teenager girl in Cincinatti who commited suicide after her ex boyfriend share a nude picture of her with some of his buddies. Apparently, sending nude pictures to friends is the new trend and it seems like 30% of teenagers are doing this on a regular basis. I live in a neighborhood which is adjacent to the University of Minnesota and these Generation Y kids are some of the most immoral, stupid and characterless people I have ever dealt with in my life. I am far from being an old person, I am 31 and even 10 years ago, I don't remember my generation being this "lost". Although I understand a lot of these kids are just a product of some pretty screwed up parents, the total lack of character, common sense, spirituality, values and ethics with these kids is just appaling!

Friends Hope Teen's Death Warns Others Against 'Sexting' - WLWT-TV- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29556412/ - broken link)
I heard about it and its tragic that the girl took her life over it. I must say I don't agree with the rest of your post. I heard the late sixties and the seventies were pretty crazy. The eighties to with rock telling kids to kill themselves. The ninties generation X was the lost generation right. I guess maybe as we grow older we forget theway we were. I'm not saying that its right but my parents were horrified about the things my generation was doing.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:20 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,615,044 times
Repub, *********r idiotic so-called morals.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I guess maybe as we grow older we forget theway we were. I'm not saying that its right but my parents were horrified about the things my generation was doing.
I am sorry but it is not the same!! If you compare Generation X and Generation Y, you will see a huge difference. I remember moving out of my parents home when I was 18 and I felt a strong sense of pride and accomplishment when I left. A lot of these Generation Y kids have no desire to move out of their parent's homes and sit around all day fantasizing about their million dollars business and getting a job right out of college making millions, while their parents are supporting their asses. I have a cousin who goes to the U of Minnesota and he was telling me that the new trend now is to have sex in front of everybody at college parties while other people catch it on camera to post it on the Internet, if this is not moral decadence, then I don't know what is?! In my days, at least, people had the decency to do it behind closed doors. These kids are beyond lost.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:39 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,617,685 times
Oh, I just love this "my generation was more moral than your generation" contest. Just remember what generation the parents who allow us to come up in this moral degradation were raised in before you begin your pompous pontification about spirituality and morals.

That said, anyone stupid enough to send a naked and identifiable picture of themselves to someone who they'll break up with in two weeks isn't very stable to begin with, naked pictures or no naked pictures. And their need to be specific laws about harassing a person until they commit suicide. Servere laws that take into account the end result and not just the harassment.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,080,297 times
Quote:
I am sorry but it is not the same!! If you compare Generation X and Generation Y, you will see a huge difference. I remember moving out of my parents home when I was 18 and I felt a strong sense of pride and accomplishment when I left. A lot of these Generation Y kids have no desire to move out of their parent's homes and sit around all day fantasizing about their million dollars business and getting a job right out of college making millions, while their parents are supporting their asses. I have a cousin who goes to the U of Minnesota and he was telling me that the new trend now is to have sex in front of everybody at college parties while other people catch it on camera to post it on the Internet, if this is not moral decadence, then I don't know what is?! In my days, at least, people had the decency to do it behind closed doors. These kids are beyond lost.
Maybe you didn't experience your youth, but I live in Minneapolis in the late 90s and it was no different then.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
That said, anyone stupid enough to send a naked and identifiable picture of themselves to someone who they'll break up with in two weeks isn't very stable to begin with, naked pictures or no naked pictures.
Thanks for proving my point. If 30% of teenagers are doing this on a regular basis, then I have the right to call it moral decadence or maybe just being "unstable" as you said.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,617,685 times
Quote:
Thanks for proving my point. If 30% of teenagers are doing this on a regular basis, then I have the right to call it moral decadence or maybe just being "unstable" as you said.
Never ever again accuse me of backing up a "point" made by yourself, I consider it an insult to my intelligence.

At any rate, the point I was making was that this generation is no more morally decadent then the generation that baptized it in its own moral decadence. Even so I'd say what constitutes moral decadence with regard to sex specifically is pretty relative outside of a few obvious evils.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:09 AM

11,456 posts, read 12,733,413 times
Quote:
Although I understand a lot of these kids are just a product of some pretty screwed up parents, the total lack of character, common sense, spirituality, values and ethics with these kids is just appaling!

C'mon, it's not like some creepy GOP senator was sending them dirty TMs from his cell phone or something....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies