Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:08 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Just one comment,
How many holocaust movies has Hollywood made?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Just one comment,
How many holocaust movies has Hollywood made?
One might also ask how many Jesus movies Hollywood has made. Unless, of course, you didn't have some sort of agenda behind that question, in which case I apologize in advance for any implication you read into this.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Glenn Greenwald has a article today discussing this very subject. He hits the nail on the head and I agree with it 100%.

Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 PM

This is Columnist and Jew Roger Cohen in what is a groundbreaking recent column criticizing Israel and getting away with it in the US media..

A snippet

"Speaking of violence, it’s worth recalling what Israel did in Gaza in response to sporadic Hamas rockets. It killed upward of 1,300 people, many of them women and children; caused damage estimated at $1.9 billion; and destroyed thousands of Gaza homes. It continues a radicalizing blockade on 1.5 million people squeezed into a narrow strip of land.

At this vast human, material and moral price, Israel achieved almost nothing beyond damage to its image throughout the world. Israel has the right to hit back when attacked, but any response should be proportional and governed by sober political calculation. The Gaza war was a travesty; I have never previously felt so shamed by Israel’s actions.

No wonder Hamas and Hezbollah are seen throughout the Arab world as legitimate resistance movements.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
This illustrates another piece of this "siege mentality" that Jewish nationalists inevitably bring into these kinds of discussions, the idea that giving any quarter is tantamount to total annihilation.

Most frequently they'll say this is a fight against an enemy that, "denies Israel's right to exist", or "wants Israel wiped off the face of the earth", etc.. And it's usually in the context that this is "prima facie" evidence, that somehow justifies any action by Israel, no matter how disproportionate. And when you think about it, those are basically "thought crimes".

Now I have little doubt that Iran, Korea or any of this country's other enemies would probably like to see the U.S. disappear off the face of the earth as well, but fortunately we don't cloak our foreign policy towards them in those terms (yet)!

Well said...Can you get this point across to MoveForward? An otherwise rational and smart poster?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Well said...Can you get this point across to MoveForward? An otherwise rational and smart poster?
Very interesting article there by Greenwald. Wow.. so the U.S. is criminally prosecuting and imprisoning satellite providers just for including Hezbollah's Al Manar channel!! What have we come to?!

Haven't seen MoveForward's posts, but I would imagine rationality has little to do with it in this case. This is strictly about ideology, where reason and facts only get in the way. Actually it all seems like just another version of that same religious/ideological collective madness that's swept over the planet the past few years.... the Taliban, Muslim extremists, Christian Fundamentalists, Right Wing politics, Jewish Nationalism... all basically the same thing, "I own the Truth and it's my way or the highway!".

Since we're discussing psychological motives, just as an aside have noticed that when you look at the common behaviors of all these groups (in addition to Victimhood)... if they were an individual, they would happen to exactly fit all the classic symptoms of the personality disorder Narcissism (NPD):

Victimhood (see the OP, "the Liberal Media", "Western decadence", "the assault on Christian values", etc.)
Hyper-sensitivity to criticism (all of them easily go straight to anger when challenged)
Subjective Logic ("it's so because I think it is")
Grandiosity & Specialness ("God's chosen people", Manifest Destiny, Jihadists, "Saved", etc.)
Entitlement ("We have the Truth", "God gave us this land", "we have no choice...they want to annihilate us", etc.)
Absence of Empathy (war, torture, killing women & children, civilians, 9/11, "collateral damage", etc.)

Not sure what it all means, but not surprisingly, the last, absence of empathy, is also the the primary symptom of the Sociopath and it's extreme, the Psychopath. It's what enables them to behave the way they do.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
no more than any other group that has found how to turn guilt into cash.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You might want to consider what you are bragging about..Any jew that won the Nobel Peace prize or is involved in making Peace would not be supporting this Likud Coalition Government nor Israel's lastest war crimes in Gaza
The subject of this thread is "Must Jews always see themselves as victims?" That is what I was responding to, although the posts have really gone way off topic. I also don't know why you think I was "bragging." I was only responding to question. If a topic was "Why are all blondes so stupid?" then if I graduated college in the top of my class and were blonde, I don't see why that would be bragging if I used that as an example to respond.

By the way, I hope those who are pointing fingers at Israel are not justifying our invasion of Iraq.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:36 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
Maybe it is necessary to portray jews as victims in order to further the agenda. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:44 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Look folks, there are countless threads talking about Israeli-Palestinian conflict, its history, reasons, blame games, etc... but this is not one of them. While the conflict is certainly related and pertains to this discussion, this is not about who threw the first rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies