Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:07 PM

117 posts, read 394,533 times

Advertisements

Guns don't kill people. people kill people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:19 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
A mentally stable individual owning an "assault rifle" infringes on no one else's rights by simply owning it if used responsibly.
There's always a catch, isn't there?

Seriously, I live in California and I've noticed far fewer crimes involving assault weapons since we've had the assault weapon ban in place for so many years. So, maybe there is something about banning assault weapons that stops people from using them to commit crimes?

Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Don't groan, just hear me out and think about it for a second...

Listen, even if you don't like guns you still have a right to own one. It is a right, just like free speech or freedom of religion, written in the same document that lately seems to have more value as policial toilet paper.
In light of the Heller decision, I think that as a life long gun owner that comments such as these are baseless. Personally, I would like to, for once, hear responsible gun owners to own up to the idea that there are serious issue confronting this country as a result of irresponsible and illegal gun ownership and that, like speech freedoms that there is indeed a need for reasonable limits to the rights of gun ownership. For once, I would like to read a opinion of responsible gun owners accepting those limitations instead of the continuous drum beat the absolutist argument that any restriction on gun ownership is onerous.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Dear rightie fear-mongerer,

The Supreme Court has already ruled that you have a right to own a gun and no one can take it away from you.

It's over. Quit whining and crying.

You can own a gun and no one can take it away from you.

What don't you understand about "YES" ????
That's the case today !!! BUT NOT NECESSARILY TOMORROW... obviously you don't understand that part of it, or like having your rights stripped away slowly but surely ! Lefties...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

Seriously, I live in California and I've noticed far fewer crimes involving assault weapons since we've had the assault weapon ban in place for so many years. So, maybe there is something about banning assault weapons that stops people from using them to commit crimes?
No weapon ban will ever take said weapon away from a criminal wanting to use it, only the honest US citizen gets the luxury of not being able to utilize it. All the assault weapon ban did from a criminal point of view was make it a little more difficult to obtain them and forced them to move to a different weapon. It sure the hell doesn't stop them from committing the crime !!! Simply traded in the 2 of clubs for the 2 of hearts...

Old 03-08-2009, 10:59 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:

Seriously, I live in California and I've noticed far fewer crimes involving assault weapons since we've had the assault weapon ban in place for so many years.
Fewer than what? There were practically none before the AWB.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:02 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
There was no such thing in existence as a bullet when the Constitution was written.

They didn't show up for another 75 years or so.
This was meant as a joke, right?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Boy where were you gun owners that last eight years when Bush was running rough shod over civil liberties and breaking the Constitution??? Not saying a word.

It seems like you only care about laws and the Constitution is when your ox is being gored???

Some Ron Paul and Libertarian voters being the exception.
Please tell me just which parts of The Constitution did Bush destroy? Don't give me the wire tapping crap. They only wiretapped people who were suspected of contacting terrorists.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:

News flash: The ban was lifted years ago! It did nothing to stop any crime. According to the FBI "assault weapons" account for .001% of all violent crimes. They are a non-issue.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In light of the Heller decision, I think that as a life long gun owner that comments such as these are baseless. Personally, I would like to, for once, hear responsible gun owners to own up to the idea that there are serious issue confronting this country as a result of irresponsible and illegal gun ownership and that, like speech freedoms that there is indeed a need for reasonable limits to the rights of gun ownership. For once, I would like to read a opinion of responsible gun owners accepting those limitations instead of the continuous drum beat the absolutist argument that any restriction on gun ownership is onerous.
I am a responsible owner. I have taught my kids firearm safety. My guns are all trigger-locked and secured, except the one in the speed-safe next to bed. I have no issue with background checks. I can't think of anything more reasonable than that.

Fact: there already are reasonable limits: background checks, its illegal for felons to own a gun, its illegal to kill somebody, there are increased or aggravated charges for using a firearm during a crime. How much more can we do?

Sidebar: tonight on the news there was a story about the guy in IL who walked in and shot the pastor. The news reported that he used a "high powered .45 caliber automatic pistol". It was very sensational and dramatic. How many here realize that your average .44 Colt revolver circa 1860 was a deadlier weapon? Heck, I could buy a .357 revolver with more firepower and it would never jam!

More: his gun jammed and he pulled a knife, stabbing several before stabbing himself. He almost killed himself with a knife! Should we outlaw 4" pocket knives?

The bigger question: why do so many liberal judges refuse to enforce the existing laws? If there were immediate and severe consequences, criminals might think twice.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
There was no such thing in existence as a bullet when the Constitution was written.

They didn't show up for another 75 years or so.
This statement only goes to show just how little anti-gunners know about firearms. Now if by "bullet" he means a loaded cartridge, he may be onto something. The bullet is the actual projectile, not the entire cartridge, which consists of the shell or casing (usually brass), the powder, the primer and lastly the bullet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies