Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As a case in point, I think that even the most casual observer here on CD could point to thinly veiled racially motivated attacks against African Americans and African American organizations, but I have never detected a single voice of conservative rebuke towards those who make such attacks.

Now, personally I could care less, since most African Americans, myself included, have no expectation that such rebukes will be forthcoming from conservative Republicans, especially ones on this board. But I would think that if Republicans, or conservatives in general, were really interested in broadening their appeal to African Americans or other minorities, one would expect someone, anyone, representing the Republican Party or conservatives to step forward and make their objections to such attacks known, or at at the very least demonstrate some sensitivity regarding such comments.

Your thoughts.

I agree; my only caveat is that sometimes the racism isn't even thinly-veiled, it's
very much "in your face." The fact that other conservatives condone or overlook
such attacks speaks volumes about the GOP. Never yet have I seen a republican
candidate for president include the concerns of minorities in their platform. I have been disgusted by the way Steele has been treated since being made head
of the RNC. If they had been serious about being more inclusive, the party elders
would have sown Limbaugh's lips together and become truly progressive. Instead,
it seems that there simply aren't any "party leaders" willing to say that racism is
morally wrong and won't be tolerated. Class plays a part as well; I live in a rural
area, and the problems here mirror the inner-cities to a lesser degree. The use and production of methamphetamines is out of control, and the crime rate rises
steadily. There are no jobs. Republicans speak as though if you aren't as well-off
as they are that it's your fault, that you're either stupid or lazy...the idea of a level playing field is outside their realm of comprehension. As our demographics
change, they will become more and more marginalized. I was proud of our country
and the way people came together and worked together to elect President Obama, but the things that have been said and done by the GOP since January 20th with no disapproval from their "leadership" makes me ashamed of America again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
I don't think the GOP is ready to expand their party at all. Bringing in Steele to run the party was just window dressing. When he presented his idea about expanding the party, his idea was shot down. When he took on the true leader of the GOP his chain was yanked and he was told to get back in line.

Instead of allowing him to show his leadership, he was shut down when he tried to find his voice, presumably by party elders who don't want to embrace the expansion of the party.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
In the wake of its political collapse, it is clear the choice the Republican Party has made in turning to division, fear, and white interests. They had a chance to reform from within, but they have not. I really hope the Republican Party fades to a regional party and that a new party can emerge to balance the Democrats on fiscal issues, national security, and individual responsibility.

I do not vote Republican, but I think they have important stances on these issues that need representation in our public discourse.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
I think if the GOP can develope a "smoke and Mirrors" campaign to show how traditional Democractic Suport for labor Unions helped to bankrupt big business and caused massive job loss. convicing working class minorities to vote in favor of big business to stregnthen jobs is a formitable task. 20% of something is better than 100% of nothing. It would have to start locally in areas hurt by job loss

Last edited by thriftylefty; 03-09-2009 at 10:36 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think if the GOP can develope a "smoke and Mirrors" campaign to show how traditional Democractic Suport for labor Unions helped to bankrupt big business and caused massive job loss. convicing working class minorities to vote in favor of big business to stregnthen jobs is a formitable task. 20% of something is better than 100% of nothing. It would have to start locally in areas hurt by job loss
If I were a Republican strategist I wouldn't go near the black working class with a bullet proof vest. Middle class, professionals and entrepreneurs, prior to 2004 that is where I would have, in fact did, argue that they could increase their numbers.

As much as I am embarrassed to mention it, on three occasions prior to 2004, I was ask, and on two occasions helped Republican candidates formulate a strategy for making inroads into the African American community. In the case of the last Republican that I worked for we were very successful in garnering significant African American support although we still lost the election, but as Republicans the candidate was a very unique species of Republican, who I might add subsequently left the Party to become an independent.

Personally, it would be a cold day in hell before I took another dime from a Republican candidate regardless of how special they might personally be.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 PM

The GOP has got to get down and dirty and fight Dems on their own turf . I don't think the Black middle class will follow the in step with the Upper class. There are signifigant numbers of upper class blacks but they are divided in Education-Business-Industry-Service- transportation. They would have to be coaxed separately and with kid gloves. I think upperclass African Americans in Industry-Service-and Transportation would be the best potentinal grab for the GOP because they will have the most influence at the street level

Last edited by thriftylefty; 03-09-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The big money has lost control of the Republican Party. These people are indoctrinated with the thought that they must never admit error especially if they are actually wrong. To admit error is to take responsibility. They will never take responsibility. That might cost too much after the lawsuit.

The theocrats that run the Party can never be wrong because God told them what to do.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
[quote=thriftylefty;7803711]The GOP has got to get down and dirty and fight Dems on their own turf.[quote]

At this particular point in time, that is an impossibility. What weapons would the GOP use in such a fight when the arsenal is so bereft of tools for the job?

Quote:
I don't think the Black middle class will follow the in step with the Upper class.
You couldn't be any more wrong. The bifurcation of interest between the black middle class and upper classes is non-existent. If there is a real bifurcation it would exist between those two groups and the black working poor and, the criminal class.

Quote:
I think Industry-Service-and Transportation would be the best potentinal grab for the GOP because they will have the most influence at the street level
You need to come up with a viable definition of Industry-Service and Transportation for that comment to make even the slightest sense.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You mean Michael Steele?

I actually like what attracted him to the Republican Party - the sense that he was treated like an individual and his hope of engaging inner cities in small business incubation.

I could get behind that Republicanism. As it is, I don't think he will last long in that party. It has gone down a dark path.
If the GOP hopes to attract members with "individualism," it needs to dump Limbaugh as its defacto leader. Limbaugh, though claiming to respect individualism, doesn't stand for the slightest bit of dissent. What was that he told people? "If you didn't like Jindal, don't call in." Yeah, Rush Limbaugh: defender of individualism.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:43 PM

[quote=ovcatto;7803991][quote=thriftylefty;7803711]The GOP has got to get down and dirty and fight Dems on their own turf.
Quote:

At this particular point in time, that is an impossibility. What weapons would the GOP use in such a fight when the arsenal is so bereft of tools for the job?

You couldn't be any more wrong. The bifurcation of interest between the black middle class and upper classes is non-existent. If there is a real bifurcation it would exist between those two groups and the black working poor and, the criminal class.

You need to come up with a viable definition of Industry-Service and Transportation for that comment to make even the slightest sense.
1.Upper class Blacks have nothing to lose by voting GOP. working class blacks think they are already Rep.

2.That Labor unions drove in the last coffin nail
3.wealthy Black Teamsters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies