Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times

Advertisements

In addition to signing an executive order overturning the ban on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, President Obama also signed a presidential memorandum, which administration officials claim will be "aimed at insulating scientific decisions across the federal government from political influence"...Geez, what a concept, policy based on science instead of fundie superstition.

Quote:
President Obama signed an executive order Monday repealing a Bush-era policy that limited federal tax dollars for embryonic stem cell research.

Obama's move overturns an order signed by President Bush in 2001 that barred the National Institutes of Health from funding research on embryonic stem cells beyond using 60 cell lines that existed at that time.

Obama also signed a presidential memorandum establishing greater independence for federal science policies and programs.

"In recent years, when it comes to stem cell research, rather than furthering discovery, our government has forced what I believe is a false choice between sound science and moral values," Obama said at the White House.

"In this case, I believe the two are not inconsistent. As a person of faith, I believe we are called to care for each other and work to ease human suffering. I believe we have been given the capacity and will to pursue this research -- and the humanity and conscience to do so responsibly."
Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
Best day since Inauguration Day.

Thanks for starting the thread.

golfgod

Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Puuuleeezzzeee

The same "enlightened" libs are currently having a bed-wetting hissy-fit over Alaska's aerial predator control pogram even though that was developed by "scientists" as well, just because a certain female governor supports it. The Libs pick-and-choose which "scientists" to believe based on political motives just like all the rest.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Puuuleeezzzeee

The same "enlightened" libs are currently having a bed-wetting hissy-fit over Alaska's aerial predator control pogram even though that was developed by "scientists" as well, just because a certain female governor supports it. The Libs pick-and-choose which "scientists" to believe based on political motives just like all the rest.
Does the aerial predator program have the possibility of curing cancer? diabetes? paralysis? Alzheimers? MS?

Or does it just leave more caribou for hunters to gun down?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Stem cell research was never "banned." It just wasn't funded by the taxpayer's dollars. Now it is. Just one more thing for you to pay for.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:37 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Ariel "predator" control is a lot more fun when the predators have surface to air heat seeking missiles. Hunting is far more exciting when the game can shoot back.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Does the aerial predator program have the possibility of curing cancer? diabetes? paralysis? Alzheimers? MS?

Or does it just leave more caribou for hunters to gun down?
Hunters...as in subsistence families who depend on game to feed themselves. In other words it improves the human condition, just like "curing cancer? diabetes? paralysis? Alzheimers? MS?". Funny how, in the eyes of some, certain humans are more worthy than others, depending on which side of the political spectrum they are percieved to be on.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Stem cell research was never "banned." It just wasn't funded by the taxpayer's dollars. Now it is. Just one more thing for you to pay for.
Exactly.

Obama has the fiscal responsibilty of a thug with three kids by three different mothers driving a new Escalade.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Exactly.

Obama has the fiscal responsibilty of a thug with three kids by three different mothers driving a new Escalade.
And if it provides aid and cures to people with these diseases...it saves EVERYONE money!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
I guess Obama figured that most charities that would fund such research would suffer from his "tax increase", he would just let the government pay for research instead. I can't really say I support this or am against it, because I would like more info on it. My question is, are the embryos that are used from aborted babies or are they grown in the labs? If they are taken from aborted babies, I would have to agree with this practice since the aborted fetus would be discarded so why not use them for some benefit. OTOH if the embryos are created in a lab then I disagree, since it IMO is just murder.
I do think there should be a timetable placed on this research funding. If after say 5 or 10 years there have been no positive advances in the research then the government should stop funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies