Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 PM

194 posts, read 325,678 times

Advertisements

I believe that someone at the White house wasn't doing their job- when the Obama's gave visiting PM Brown and his wife those gifts. Those gifts were embarrassing and seem more likely to have been selected from the gift store after the Brown's arrival. (Perhaps even re-gifting a box set of DVD's because it's difficult to imagine they were actually selected for the PM.)
The poor choice in gifts and cancellation of meeting because of "snow' -seemed less than dignified for visiting diplomats.
In my opinion- I think the Obama's should send a thank you note signed by the whole family. Including a framed picture of the girls in the new dresses- would be appropriate. (Just as one might do when a relative sends clothing as a gift.) A framed picture of the Obama's with the Brown's in a silver or crystal frame- engraved with the date of the visit and some official seal would also be perfect.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I am not at all familiar with protocol with Presidential and international gift giving - but who ever is involved with Presidential protocol clearly missed here with selection of appropriate gifts. If protocol and regulations allow, perhaps some of the following ideas might be useful:
When regulations allow perhaps giving a selection of cherry tree sprigs might be acceptable and meaningful. The cherry tree is a wonderful symbol of our nation's heritage and DC. I believe cherry blossoms are also highly regarded in Hawaiian culture-making it more appropriate coming from Obama. It would also fit in with the greener America theme that Obama's administration is taking towards new policies. (The idea is to make it personal, sentimental in nature rather than focus on monitory value. )
If regulations allow such a gift, recipients could choose to plant around their government buildings or donate them to schools. Of course an appropriate poem or statement would be included with the gift- so that the meaning of the gift and value of the relationship with the recipient would be honored.
------------------------------

Another possible idea would be making a select number of Crystal pieces with the Presidential seal and engraving the date and name of recipient . Just something small, simple, classy and commemorative of their meeting. An item one might place on a desk or bookshelf and treasure.
------
Gift baskets and boxes work really well. By selecting a nice 'container', filling it with several gift items- the presentation is nice and the focus is less on the actual contents. (Because gift baskets can be of any monetary value the initial focus is not on the value, complete details of items included can't be judged as clearly as a single item.) When one selects a special 'container' that too also becomes part of the gift and makes it more special.
--------------------------------------------
Including signed books- perhaps Obama's ) in any basket immediately makes the gift unique and thoughtful.
---------------------------------------
Perhaps a future project might be to honor them in some way like by having stones to commemorate their visit with their name and date of visit added around DC. ( Certainly it shows a certain respect for their visit during period of times in our history.)
------------------
Gift baskets work for children as well, they enjoy them. I am sure that children would love having packs of Presidential M &M's in the gift baskets- but imagine that isn't in keeping with regulations regarding food items.) Perhaps selecting items from among the most popular items from DC gift shops- along with some special keepsake from the President'. A small item can be specialized by adding an engraved plaque especially for the child receiving it. A book on American history or landmarks with a signed personal note from Obama would also be thoughtful and go along with the Obama administration theme of improving education . A book personalized with a note from Obama- is something any child would cherish for their lifetime!
(Add a small American flag to the children's gift bag)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Share ideas of what you feel would be appropriate gifts to represent our valued relations with other countries.

Last edited by Awakening Escapade; 03-09-2009 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,314 times
These people running the government this year really aren't that clever. I would expect that this year a Christmas card from the WhiteHouse would have come from KMart.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 PM

194 posts, read 325,678 times
Wow- I never expected comments such as those! OUch!
PM G. Brown also didn't appreciate a jacket that Bush gave him. He gave the jacket away!!!

Someone must have dropped the ball regarding the Obama's gift to the Brown's- I have doubts they selected the gifts. Even if they did -others advise them on such things and should have corrected the misjudgment.

We need to do better with selecting gifts - as a nation. It's not a party issue!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:42 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakening Escapade View Post
I believe that someone at the White house wasn't doing their job- when the Obama's gave visiting PM Brown and his wife those gifts. Those gifts were embarrassing and seem more likely to have been selected from the gift store after the Brown's arrival. (Perhaps even re-gifting a box set of DVD's because it's difficult to imagine they were actually selected for the PM.)
The poor choice in gifts and cancellation of meeting because of "snow' -seemed less than dignified for visiting diplomats.
In my opinion- I think the Obama's should send a thank you note signed by the whole family. Including a framed picture of the girls in the new dresses- would be appropriate. (Just as one might do when a relative sends clothing as a gift.) A framed picture of the Obama's with the Brown's in a silver or crystal frame- engraved with the date of the visit and some official seal would also be perfect.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I am not at all familiar with protocol with Presidential and international gift giving - but who ever is involved with Presidential protocol clearly missed here with selection of appropriate gifts. If protocol and regulations allow, perhaps some of the following ideas might be useful:
When regulations allow perhaps giving a selection of cherry tree sprigs might be acceptable and meaningful. The cherry tree is a wonderful symbol of our nation's heritage and DC. I believe cherry blossoms are also highly regarded in Hawaiian culture-making it more appropriate coming from Obama. It would also fit in with the greener America theme that Obama's administration is taking towards new policies. (The idea is to make it personal, sentimental in nature rather than focus on monitory value. )
If regulations allow such a gift, recipients could choose to plant around their government buildings or donate them to schools. Of course an appropriate poem or statement would be included with the gift- so that the meaning of the gift and value of the relationship with the recipient would be honored.
------------------------------

Another possible idea would be making a select number of Crystal pieces with the Presidential seal and engraving the date and name of recipient . Just something small, simple, classy and commemorative of their meeting. An item one might place on a desk or bookshelf and treasure.
------
Gift baskets and boxes work really well. By selecting a nice 'container', filling it with several gift items- the presentation is nice and the focus is less on the actual contents. (Because gift baskets can be of any monetary value the initial focus is not on the value, complete details of items included can't be judged as clearly as a single item.) When one selects a special 'container' that too also becomes part of the gift and makes it more special.
--------------------------------------------
Including signed books- perhaps Obama's ) in any basket immediately makes the gift unique and thoughtful.
---------------------------------------
Perhaps a future project might be to honor them in some way like by having stones to commemorate their visit with their name and date of visit added around DC. ( Certainly it shows a certain respect for their visit during period of times in our history.)
------------------
Gift baskets work for children as well, they enjoy them. I am sure that children would love having packs of Presidential M &M's in the gift baskets- but imagine that isn't in keeping with regulations regarding food items.) Perhaps selecting items from among the most popular items from DC gift shops- along with some special keepsake from the President'. A small item can be specialized by adding an engraved plaque especially for the child receiving it. A book on American history or landmarks with a signed personal note from Obama would also be thoughtful and go along with the Obama administration theme of improving education . A book personalized with a note from Obama- is something any child would cherish for their lifetime!
(Add a small American flag to the children's gift bag)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Share ideas of what you feel would be appropriate gifts to represent our valued relations with other countries.
While the President's gift was pretty silly and totally inappropriate, isn't there a gift wrangler at the White House who is responsible for gifts given and gifts received? I really do think someone is in charge of gifts given and recording gifts received. The President doesn't exactly sit around and think about presents, does he? It seems to me whoever that person is, they are right up there in capability with the Obama cabinet vetting team. Of course, if it wasn't wrapped, the President should have said, "What the bleep is this?"

Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakening Escapade View Post
Wow- I never expected comments such as those! OUch!
PM G. Brown also didn't appreciate a jacket that Bush gave him. He gave the jacket away!!!

Someone must have dropped the ball regarding the Obama's gift to the Brown's- I have doubts they selected the gifts. Even if they did -others advise them on such things and should have corrected the misjudgment.

We need to do better with selecting gifts - as a nation. It's not a party issue!
Have you read the entire story? It wasn't just about something as simple as gifts....it was an entire classless snub at Brown and his wife.
- Michelle Obama failed to have the Mrs. Brown for a First Ladies lunch as has always been the custom.
- Barack hurried through a meeting with Brown and then used the excuse that he was tired and had too much on his plate. You just don't treat heads of state from our closest ally that way.
- While the Browns gave thoughtful gifts to Barack, Michelle and the children, the Obama's gave cheap, pop culture Hollywood DVD's and a plastic Marine One helicopter in return.

Total lack of class from the Obama's.....maybe they need to read Emily Post. The Obama's in DC remind me much of the Beverly Hillbillies.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,328 times
I was having great hopes for our country. After this latest rude treatment of a visiting dignitary, I am left shaking my head in doubt and sadness. 25 DVDs as gifts for the head of our closest ally is appalling and shows a terrible lack of class. No matter what has happened prior to this new administration, this is now and that was then. President Obama is culpable for this shameful act that now portrays Americans as cheap and vulgar.

I don't care if he did not choose this gift himself. Surely he would have had to have been made aware of what goes on. And the other, meetings, the bust of Winston Churchill, First Ladies Lunch, etc., what next? Shame on him. I really expected more from this President.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times
I think the Browns were the victims of "re-gifting." Honestly, what dolt would BUY the prime minister of a close ally a set of DVDs that can't even be used in European players?

And, yes, returning the Churchill bust was completely tacky. I didn't realize until today that the bust was presented to the U.S. as a show of solidarity after the 9/11 attacks. Well, if Obama is making the British take their bust back, I think Britain needs to take back their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan, too.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:23 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Seems like Obama is putting his money where his mouth is - and tightening that belt! Maybe he picked up the 25 DVDs at Circuit City just before they finally closed shop for good and got a great price on them too. What a Blockbuster! I wonder if he knows that US DVDs don't work in the UK....

If I had to make something up along these lines I couldn't have come up with anything better - I would say this is a hilarious gaffe, but unfortunately appalling is more of the correct word for it.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
I thought this was interesting

PRESIDENTIAL GIFTS: THEIR HANDLING AND LEGAL STATUS

Quote:
Foreign Official Gifts

Even though heads of state have traditionally exchanged gifts as expressions of goodwill, the Constitution (Article I, Section 9) prohibits anyone in the US Government from receiving a personal gift from a foreign head of state without the consent of Congress. Today, the handling of gifts from a foreign official to any Federal Government employee, including the President, is largely governed by the Foreign Gifts and Decorations Act of 1966 and further legislation passed in 1977. Congress has allowed Federal employees to retain any gift from a foreign government, as long as the total US retail value of the gifts presented at one occasion does not exceed an amount established by the General Services Administration (GSA).[1] Foreign official gifts over this “minimal value” are considered gifts to the people of the United States, which the recipient must purchase from GSA, at fair market value, in order to retain. The White House Gift Unit sees to the disposition of foreign official gifts that the President and First Lady do not retain.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:51 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Ah, so this is the excuse the Obamaphiles are using? Funny that the other presidents haven't had problems with the gift-giving thing but Obama doesn't seem to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies