Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 05:44 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I think YOU need to be "googled"

Chew causes cancer too...It would be nice if we could ALL stay away from any "tobacky" products.....I'm (hopefully) on my last pack as I write this.

Good luck on that, there ain't a @#$ thing gonna go backward for you if you can. Save money, live longer and you won't smell like an ashtray

Plus chicks dig it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
I think YOU need to be "googled"

Chew causes cancer too...It would be nice if we could ALL stay away from any "tobacky" products.....I'm (hopefully) on my last pack as I write this.
Let me know how that goes for you. I almost had a heart attack when I bought my carton yesterday and found they had gone up another $10 a carton. Pretty soon it will be a choice between eating and smoking so I have to decide if I would be healthier losing some weight or quitting smoking.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:49 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Good luck on that, there ain't a @#$ thing gonna go backward for you if you can. Save money, live longer and you won't smell like an ashtray

Plus chicks dig it
TY....I'm REALLY,REALLY going to try it this time...it's awful the amount of damage they do and the amount of money that I WASTE on them.....I think they should get hardcore about the dangers of smoking in school and start teaching children at a very young age about the addiction of cigarettes....I have NEVER had this hard of a time quitting anything.It's awful that I'm that weak.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Let me know how that goes for you. I almost had a heart attack when I bought my carton yesterday and found they had gone up another $10 a carton. Pretty soon it will be a choice between eating and smoking so I have to decide if I would be healthier losing some weight or quitting smoking.
My wife went to Sam's Club awhile ago and Marlboro is $43.13 per carton and $50.25 at Walmart.They say we have another $7 per carton increase coming at the end of the month.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:55 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Bought my ciggies today and they went up $4. I was paying $26 including tax for a carton and today I paid $30 including tax.

Good thing my plan to wean off is going well. I've been allotting myself just a certain number of cigs per day and I cut that number by 1 every time I buy a carton. I've gone from 23 cigs per day to 14 now. When I buy a carton, I open the packs and just put that number of cigs in each pack. Then I load all of the extra cigs into empty packs I keep on hand. So, I'm allowing myself a "pack per day" but each pack contains much fewer cigs. It kinda tricks my brain and the ritual aspect of smoking.

With me, the addiction is more about psychology and ritual than nicotine. My cigs are like my security blanket. Sounds weird, I know, but when I tried to go cold turkey, I had panic attacks. Besides, a nurse friend told me that it's unrealistic to expect most people to go cold turkey unless they were light smokers. She said it takes a while to become physically and emotionally addicted so why would anyone expect that folks could just turn that all off instantly and succeed for good? Makes sense.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Hey Teatime, You live in Texas, right? So do you know how much a carton of Misty cigs cost in Texas? I'm asking because I'm coming to Texas next week to visit my daughter and if they are a lot cheaper there I want to bring an extra suitcase.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Bought my ciggies today and they went up $4. I was paying $26 including tax for a carton and today I paid $30 including tax.

Good thing my plan to wean off is going well. I've been allotting myself just a certain number of cigs per day and I cut that number by 1 every time I buy a carton. I've gone from 23 cigs per day to 14 now. When I buy a carton, I open the packs and just put that number of cigs in each pack. Then I load all of the extra cigs into empty packs I keep on hand. So, I'm allowing myself a "pack per day" but each pack contains much fewer cigs. It kinda tricks my brain and the ritual aspect of smoking.

With me, the addiction is more about psychology and ritual than nicotine. My cigs are like my security blanket. Sounds weird, I know, but when I tried to go cold turkey, I had panic attacks. Besides, a nurse friend told me that it's unrealistic to expect most people to go cold turkey unless they were light smokers. She said it takes a while to become physically and emotionally addicted so why would anyone expect that folks could just turn that all off instantly and succeed for good? Makes sense.
That doesn't sound weird at all to me because that is the way it is with me too.....last time I "weened" myself too and the last pack I even kept a note to myself as to WHY I smoked that particular cig.THAT actually helped me a lot because I finally just wrote "stupid" on the log and quit...it lasted for 2 months until I thought I had it beat and took a drag off my wifes cig.......HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!! I was back at it instantly...I know better this time.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:11 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
When I met my future wife about 27 years ago, I decided to stop. She didn't smoke, and she was worth quiting for..
I bought two packs and decided when they were gone, I was done. I spaced them out so I could make them last as long as I could...
It worked pretty well, after 27 years, I still have one pack left. I keep it to remiind me, but it is for sale if anyone would like a well aged package of Benson & Hedges Gold....

Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
When I met my future wife about 27 years ago, I decided to stop. She didn't smoke, and she was worth quiting for..
I bought two packs and decided when they were gone, I was done. I spaced them out so I could make them last as long as I could...
It worked pretty well, after 27 years, I still have one pack left. I keep it to remiind me, but it is for sale if anyone would like a well aged package of Benson & Hedges Gold....
I have an uncle that quit 3 yrs ago and HE still has an unopened pack of cigs on his bar...he says it's an odd type of security blanket for him.....I want all cigs and all ashtrays out of my place the SECOND I'm done.....the last time I quit I ran a carpet shampoo machine through here over and over and cleaned the carpets/seats in my truck several times....I couldn't imagine anyone being able to ride in the same truck with me when I went back to smoking.Foul smelling crap.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:58 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
I have an uncle that quit 3 yrs ago and HE still has an unopened pack of cigs on his bar...he says it's an odd type of security blanket for him.....I want all cigs and all ashtrays out of my place the SECOND I'm done.....the last time I quit I ran a carpet shampoo machine through here over and over and cleaned the carpets/seats in my truck several times....I couldn't imagine anyone being able to ride in the same truck with me when I went back to smoking.Foul smelling crap.
I know, smoking sucks. But I love it so much! But it's really wrecked havoc on my lungs, no joke. Yet I still smoke, I'm such a fricking idiot. One of these days, I will quit. I've been trying to smoke just every other day....it's kinda been working out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies