Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:21 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
only time will tell. hay maybe they could pipe water from the great lakes but where do's it end..

The Great Lakes states and Canada might take issue with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:12 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
The Great Lakes states and Canada might take issue with that.
it was just a suggestion.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Wow. You really don't think on a global scale there's a shortage of potable drinking water? I would recommend you check out an environmental science book or two.

The only reason the Southwest isn't drying up because water flows to money.
Actually, as far as Arizona is concerned, the reason there is no shortage of potable water is, we have had a whole lot of rain and snow that filled all our storage areas to the rim!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I have always hated Las Vegas, talk about an overrated place that attracts some of the worst people you can find anywhere. It is one of the few places in the world where white trash can afford brand new homes with swimming pools while working a service job. The place was doomed from the get go though, it is Satan's playground!
So someone with a service job is trash? Wow...typical liberal elite. Let us talk about how much energy is spend in the mansion of your haunts Long Island and Connecticut. And yeah, what about the water use in California and with all of your heroes, the Hollywood elites?

They seriously need to build desalination plants like they have in Kuwait and other Gulf countries. If some desert sheiks can do it we can, after all we are America. NOt just about Las Vegas but also about Phoenix, Palm Springs, Tucson, Salt Lake City, Santa Fe and other Southwest cities.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Reduction in cattle farming. We are losing an acre of forest cover per day, in the Amazon, to cattle ranching. It's causing massive ecological problems. The rainforests are the "lungs" of the planet. Destroy them, and destroy not only other species, but our own, as well. The expansion of cattle ranching in the U.S.--due to a growing and unsustainable population here--is encroaching on habitat necessary to our long-term survival. People are just going to have to start eating less meat. There is simply no way that the land, globally, can sustain cattle ranching to feed 6 billion people--and growing.
Great, lets see how the government can dictate less meat eating. I'm sure Barack and the liberals who voted for him support that....government making as many decisions as they can.

At the same time....I might go to Outback Steakhouse tomorrow....and Applebees has nice ribeyes, not like Outback's though....and Ruth Chris is to die for.

If you eat veggie burgers and it is not for religious reasons, you must be a hippie or a woman or you need to be a real man.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Why would anyone willfully give up their water to people who choose to live in a desert?

Old 05-07-2016, 06:17 AM

645 posts, read 707,014 times
side question I visited lake mead recently, there are a lot of curvy roads it was a fun drive, I went a little over the speed limit when there were no one around. I only saw one police, around callville area/lake mead is it generally very few police or I was luck that day?

Old 05-07-2016, 07:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I recently realized I can buy locally grown meat products here in southern New Hampshire. the beef and pork are very tasty as they are grass fed and without the stress of being confined in western or mid western feedlots. Much of the Northeast could grow meat animals without any concern about water. What they cannot do is meet the low prices created by mass production supported by mining water from the great aquifer under Kansas.

I have also noted that West Texas is still bone dry while East Texas requires an amphibious vehicle to get around. Climate is one thing but local weather is quite another.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
lake mead is at 46% of it's capacity or 118 feet below the maximum capacity elavation january 2009.... do you realy think lake mead is going to go dry??

No

Next easy question, please.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:58 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
It's also about clean water...since 90 percent of the world's water supply in polluted in some form.... That is scary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies