Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 04:43 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
link

http://www.democracyinamericas.org/cubacentral/ (broken link)

Is now the time? Amidst an economic crisis with no hope in sight? Will we have to jeopardize our morals to barter a liberalized Cuba? What about human rights? I see something alla Carter 1980. I can see nothing but negative implications for Miami if Cuba gradually opens...

But who cares, right? Havana was a bustling city hundreds of years before Miami was even on the map...
The travel/trade ban most definitely should be ELIMINATED.

All it has ever done is punish the Cuban people stuck on that island...

It hasn't done anything to remove Castro from power... I think it is much more likely that the Castro brothers will fall if more foreign trade and investment turn Cuba into a vibrant economy - with exposure to how people in the west live compared to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:28 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
I find it strange that we do business with china and not cuba. i would love to be able to go to cuba too.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:21 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Ooooooooooo I'm askeered ... better get Dick Cheney back in the president's office PRONTO!!! If Russia does put bombers in Cuba, we should normalize relations immediately with Cuba. Then Russia wouldn't do it and Hugo Chavez would be sitting there on his Presidente show going homina homina homina. Russia is bluffing. Their support of Cuba has diminished substantially since the collapse of the Soviet Union. Venezuela has been pumping up Cuba in the USSR's place ... well, that and EVERYONE IN THE WORLD WHO CAN TRAVEL THERE WITHOUT REPERCUSSIONS FROM THEIR GOVERNMENTS.

It's this cold war thinking that got us into this mess. It's time to get over it. It's Pakistan that's the hotspot. Those in the Taliban controlled no man's lands between Pakistan and Afghanistan need to be dealt with now. Pakistan has the nukes that we should be worried about ... Russia should be worried about that too. They're closer.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:22 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Actually, it's not your choice, is it?
Isn't that why you're whining.
It's all about you and what you want.
If it's so important to you, why didn't you know the laws that allow you to travel?
Why did you have to learn it on CD, of all places.
You lost any credibility that you might have had by not doing any research on your own situation and continued whining.

Were you moaning during the Bush and previous administrations?

Sounds like a lot of the USA, also.
Chielgirl. It seems that everything and everyone is a whiner to you. You appear to be a whiner to me too.

Next: It IS my choice. I have chosen to not go to Cuba before. If I had to do it illegally, I was not interested. Now that there are changes, I am interested.

I didn't FEEL like spending my time doing all the research as I have not planned on going to Cuba before. Trust me. What anybody says here is NOT written in stone as far as I'm concerned. NOW maybe I will do serious research. So far I only know what others say and there are many versions of what people say.

You seem to be very concerned about what we whined about during Bush's and others' administrations. What were YOU doing to stop whatever it is that you don't like?

Have a nice day.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Chielgirl. It seems that everything and everyone is a whiner to you. You appear to be a whiner to me too.

Next: It IS my choice. I have chosen to not go to Cuba before. If I had to do it illegally, I was not interested. Now that there are changes, I am interested.

I didn't FEEL like spending my time doing all the research as I have not planned on going to Cuba before. Trust me. What anybody says here is NOT written in stone as far as I'm concerned. NOW maybe I will do serious research. So far I only know what others say and there are many versions of what people say.
You were the one complaining that you couldn't do something that you, in reality, could have done had you known the law.

So, yes, you were whining about something you could do.

You "didn't FEEL like spending my time doing all the research" but that didn't stop you from complaining that you couldn't do it.
You jumped on a thread that blamed a man with 7 weeks on the job and more pressing agenda items than your ability to desire to travel to a country that you could, in fact, travel to in the first place.

You say you weren't interested in going before because it would have been illegal, when indeed it was not.
So I guess you never researched to find out that it was illegal, because that research would have covered the laws/regulations for travel to Cuba.

Yep, sounds like whining to me.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:21 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You were the one complaining that you couldn't do something that you, in reality, could have done had you known the law.

So, yes, you were whining about something you could do.

You "didn't FEEL like spending my time doing all the research" but that didn't stop you from complaining that you couldn't do it.
You jumped on a thread that blamed a man with 7 weeks on the job and more pressing agenda items than your ability to desire to travel to a country that you could, in fact, travel to in the first place.

You say you weren't interested in going before because it would have been illegal, when indeed it was not.
So I guess you never researched to find out that it was illegal, because that research would have covered the laws/regulations for travel to Cuba.

Yep, sounds like whining to me.
Well you and I must have very different points of view and very different interpretations about things. I don't think you've been reading carefully. It has been illegal for US citizens to travel to Cuba from US soil. Capiche?

I don't think I was complaining about anything in particular. I was commenting. But see, that's the beauty of being in the USA. YOU and I can both say and feel and do pretty much as we please.

So you just go right ahead with your comments.

I can almost bet what you're going to say next. Again, have a nice day!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:25 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
If you want to stop communism in Cuba start trading with them and infiltrate their economy. That is the biggest issue with China maintaining control and they will lose it sooner or later.

Open the doors to Cuba and stop the games. The castro brothers will be dead in the next decade so why not get a foothold now?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:54 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
If you want to stop communism in Cuba start trading with them and infiltrate their economy. That is the biggest issue with China maintaining control and they will lose it sooner or later.

Open the doors to Cuba and stop the games. The castro brothers will be dead in the next decade so why not get a foothold now?
China is ripe for another revolution. The baby middle class the was created in China doesn't like having to go back to their peasant ways.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:29 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Ooooooooooo I'm askeered ... better get Dick Cheney back in the president's office PRONTO!!! If Russia does put bombers in Cuba, we should normalize relations immediately with Cuba. Then Russia wouldn't do it and Hugo Chavez would be sitting there on his Presidente show going homina homina homina. Russia is bluffing. Their support of Cuba has diminished substantially since the collapse of the Soviet Union. Venezuela has been pumping up Cuba in the USSR's place ... well, that and EVERYONE IN THE WORLD WHO CAN TRAVEL THERE WITHOUT REPERCUSSIONS FROM THEIR GOVERNMENTS.
No need to get so worked up. You can travel there anytime you want. Just book your flight through Canada. It's not a big deal, really...

Quote:
It's this cold war thinking that got us into this mess. It's time to get over it.
I could not agree more. The sooner Russia and Cuba knock off the bullshyt, and apologize for their war-mongering recalcitrance, the sooner we should take steps to let them crawl back into our good graces.

Quote:
It's Pakistan that's the hotspot. Those in the Taliban controlled no man's lands between Pakistan and Afghanistan need to be dealt with now.
Uh, right. It's time for NATO, with the recent addition of the ever-mighty France, to step up to the plate. And time for us to come home from that hell-hole. You know -- the one that consumed the Red Army?

Quote:
Pakistan has the nukes that we should be worried about ... Russia should be worried about that too. They're closer.
Russia should do a lot of things. Funny how they never do the right ones. Especially via-s-vis their slummy little Caribbean cathouse -- the one you all seem so drawn to, for some reason....

Old 03-15-2009, 04:05 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
You have to make it the 110+ mile journey across the Gulfstream or hijack a plane or a boat for that dream to come true. Many Cubans have died attempting all of these feats.
Not really,
because there are Cubans in Canada, Mexico and many Latinamerican countries.
All they have to do, is take a vacation in the US, stop at an embassy and say that they are cuban.... a year later, they are legal residents of the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies