Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Consider voting for Republicans in 2010. The DOW has consistently performed well when the Congress and Senate have been under Republican control and poorly when under Democratic control.
I know that you meant House and Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
They had pensions before.
Industry in the US used to compete for workers too. Unions, regulations and the second highest taxes in the world has chased industry overseas. What American company can you think of given the current global economy that can afford to do business in the US and provide pensions? If we become industry's friend again instead of its enemy, we might get back some of what we lost. Mindlessly pointing your finger at GWB won't make it happen.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Industry in the US used to compete for workers too. Unions, regulations and the second highest taxes in the world has chased industry overseas. What American company can you think of given the current global economy that can afford to do business in the US and provide pensions? If we become industry's friend again instead of its enemy, we might get back some of what we lost. Mindlessly pointing your finger at GWB won't make it happen.
I disagree. What has chased industry overseas is $0.35 to $2.50 an hour labor. Unfortunately for us, a Chinese worker can live on a dollar an hour; we can't.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I know that you meant House and Senate.
Yeah, I did.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:06 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
I don't think our goals should be to lower benefits and wages to compete with slave labor in China. That would be the most detrimental mistake we could make.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:08 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
I have done just about as poorly on my investments under Obama and Bush relatively speaking and I generally see them as about the same. I am also more worried about job stuff then the DOW at the moment. Heck my investments haven't made much since Clinton.

In my opinion the stock market is minor compaired to being employed and in that regard a lot of the economy just happens with government action simply being the tip of the iceberg. As such it is better to vote on stuff the government can do like law making and foreign policy and in those fields I am strongly democratic so while you make in intersting point I am not going to swallow the Republican social and foreign policy issue bagage just to have the DOW maybe fall more slowely

Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 AM

799 posts, read 1,445,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I don't think our goals should be to lower benefits and wages to compete with slave labor in China. That would be the most detrimental mistake we could make.
Agreed, those jobs are gone. Illegal immigrants wouldn't even work for what a Chinese person working a production line gets paid.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I disagree. What has chased industry overseas is $0.35 to $2.50 an hour labor. Unfortunately for us, a Chinese worker can live on a dollar an hour; we can't.
That's true, but we can do everything else, within limits of course, to make America business friendly. McCain had some good ideas. Going all out to develop our own sources of energy while getting rid of the most costly tax we have on the books (business taxes) that run good companies off is a good start. So, I assume your in agreement with me that the old way of doing things is done, and we can't go back to the glory days of US manufacturing post WW2.

Wind mills and solar panels produce electricity that cost about $0.37 per KWHR while electricity from coal cost about $0.06 per KWHR. With the Chinese cost of labor being what it is and them being fully committed to burning all the coal they can get their hands on (plus the entire third world), How do we compete when we are talking about Cap and Trade? We're the Saudi Arabia of coal. That could help if we don't buy into this global warming hoax.

Garage TV - The Great Global Warming Swindle - Documentary Film | video filmpjes | kyoto, swindel, global, warming, co2, greenhouse, broeikaseffect, verkiezingen, klimaat, opwarming

Old 03-12-2009, 01:27 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
I'm a Democrat. I have money in the market. My stock has lost roughly 90%+.

So....?????

I'm not selling it now so does it matter?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I have done just about as poorly on my investments under Obama and Bush relatively speaking and I generally see them as about the same. I am also more worried about job stuff then the DOW at the moment. Heck my investments haven't made much since Clinton.

In my opinion the stock market is minor compaired to being employed and in that regard a lot of the economy just happens with government action simply being the tip of the iceberg. As such it is better to vote on stuff the government can do like law making and foreign policy and in those fields I am strongly democratic so while you make in intersting point I am not going to swallow the Republican social and foreign policy issue bagage just to have the DOW maybe fall more slowely

Governments do not create wealth. They take it away from those who create it.

Clinton's numbers were terrible until the Republican Revolution.

Jobs come from businesses. If businesses are doing well, they will have money available to invest in their own business or expand into other areas. Employment always lags behind economic changes.

I understand that you are a young person and have liberal social and foreign policy leanings. So did a lot of people in 1976. By 1980, Carternomics (stagflation) changed all that. Hopefully we won't go through that again.

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=18 - broken link)

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=17 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies