Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times

Advertisements

The Associated Press: Army reviews troop use after fatal Ala. shootings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Alabama Sheriff Asked for Fort Rucker MPs

Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Even the national guard has limits and can not act as poice except in certain cirstances. that limited their role in new orleans too.Too many people jumping to conclusions IMO.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:17 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Interesting admission.

Quote:
I got a message from my 911 dispatcher that said we had a call from a lieutenant colonel at Ft. Rucker just to let us know that Ft. Rucker was there if we needed generators, lights, equipment and stuff like that.
The military providing "generators, lights, equipment and stuff like that" would not violate the Posse Comitatus Act, because they would not be involved in domestic law enforcement.

However, the Lieutenant Colonel then crossed the line:

Quote:
I called my dispatcher if she could contact the lieutenant colonel and ask him, ‘Could we get assistance from them, with up to 25 military police to simply come in and be able to relieve our officers on barricades where traffic was being deterred, to allow our officers to get something to eat and take a break?
It would appear the Lieutenant Colonel took it upon his own authority to violate the Posse Comitatus Act. He should never had provided the Sheriff with those MPs. Even if they only performed traffic duties, that is still domestic law enforcement, and prohibited.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:31 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Interesting admission.

The military providing "generators, lights, equipment and stuff like that" would not violate the Posse Comitatus Act, because they would not be involved in domestic law enforcement.

However, the Lieutenant Colonel then crossed the line:

It would appear the Lieutenant Colonel took it upon his own authority to violate the Posse Comitatus Act. He should never had provided the Sheriff with those MPs. Even if they only performed traffic duties, that is still domestic law enforcement, and prohibited.
Can a private citizen affect a citizens arrest on someone who violates the posse comitatus act? (In other words, can a citizen posse arrest someone who is leading a possie in violation of the possie comatatus act?)
--serious question, but I tried to make it sound funny.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Can a private citizen affect a citizens arrest on someone who violates the posse comitatus act? (In other words, can a citizen posse arrest someone who is leading a possie in violation of the possie comatatus act?)
--serious question, but I tried to make it sound funny.
One would assume so. I don't know that I'd want to be the one to affect that arrest though. Small town, I'm sure with a popular sheriff = lot's of tickets for you.
One could at least file the action with the U.S. attorney.
Also I would guess there's going to be an article 15 hearing for that Lt. Colonel if not worse.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:44 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
One would assume so. I don't know that I'd want to be the one to affect that arrest though. Small town, I'm sure with a popular sheriff = lot's of tickets for you.
One could at least file the action with the U.S. attorney.
Also I would guess there's going to be an article 15 hearing for that Lt. Colonel if not worse.
Good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies