Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times

Advertisements

^
Unless, of course, you have taxpayers funding a military that protects your access to crack and pretends its "liberating" crack dealers, then you don't have much motivation to wean yourself off.

free market my rump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:36 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Where do you look to find your evidence of forward movement? What would an actually rational time period be in which to begin to expect to see improvement in those measures?

What were Jimmy Carter's policies? If I told you that the GDP in Carter's first three years expanded by 4.6%, 5.6%, and 3.2% respectively, how would you say those stacked up against the most recent three years?

Obama's Cabinet:

Agriculture: Tom Vilsack
Commerce: Gary Locke
Defense: Robert Gates
Education: Arne Duncan
Energy: Steven Chu
Health & Human Services: Kathy Sebelius
Homeland Security: Janet Napolitano
Housing & Urban Development: Shaun Donovan
Interior: Ken Salazar
Justice: Eric Holder
Labor: Hilda Solis
State: Hillary Clinton
Transportation: Ray LaHood
Treasury: Tim Geithner
Veterans Affairs: Eric Shinseki

Director of National Intelligence: Dennis Blair
National Security Advisor: James Jones
CIA Director: Leon Panetta
UN Ambassador: Susan Rice
EPA Administrator: Lisa Jackson
FEMA Administrator: Craig Fugate
OMB Director: Peter Orzsag
Press Secretary: Robert Gibbs
Senior Advisors: David Axelrod, Valerie Jarrett
Chief of Staff: Rahm Emanuel

One of those is Bill Clinton's wife...
You conveniently leave out a few pertinent facts:

Carter's last year in office saw negative GDP growth. The inflation rate went from 6.8% in 1977 to 7.6 % in 1978 to 11.5% in 12.4% in 1980. 30 year mortgage rates were above 13% when Carter left office in Jan 2001.

You also forgot to mention the other Clinton retreads on your list above that are in Obama's inner circle:

Eric Holder
Rahm Emanuel
Lawrence Summers
Leon Panetta

Old 03-16-2009, 09:10 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Yes, and if the current administration had any real strategic foresight, now would be the time to be encouraging more exploration so that future production will be online to help smooth out the inevitable price shock when the economy recovers (assuming that's really what he wants). But instead, we see a dis-incentivization of exploration. Why is that?
Or they would keep prices up through taxes in order to encourage inventive/ resourcefulness.

Maybe then, more Americans would bike (gasp)> Saving money and improving fitness! At the same time!

Maybe they could use the tax money to fund energy that isn't based on burning things so we don't have to breathe the exhaust!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:58 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Too many responses so little time...

Just to cover so general thoughts,

The point of the thread was to follow-up on statements that I made during the election campaign, the "Drill Here, Drill It Now" folks tried to foist upon the American public a belief that the solution to high energy prices was increased domestic drilling. I argued then that eliminating restrictions on oil exploration for domestic drilling would have little to no effect on the price of oil. The first reason, was that the amount of oil that could be produced through domestic drilling would be such a small percentage of the overall supply as to have no effect on global prices because the change in percentage of supply would never keep pace with the change in percentage of demand. The second reason was that in order to exploit a great deal of the untapped supplies of oil required a price per barrel not far from the highest levels of peak price. The article amply demonstrates the latter argument.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 AM

^^
Best estimates for price impact from domestic drilling was two cents a gallon decrease after about 6-10 years.

The Republicans truly are out of viable ideas. I just don't understand why they're so committed to oil. It's like fighting against the automobile or the airplane because we still had horses that are perfectly good at pulling a wagon.

Why do they fight progress and the advancement of civilization at every step? We've only had oil about a century and some change. Not exactly ancient history we're losing.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Here's a question from a political innocent. I understand saving AIG and the banks, not so sure about saving GM who could have led us into fuel-efficient cars a long time ago and had govt. money to do so...

But why don't we, our Fed. Govt., provide stimulus money to innovative renewable energy companies for R & D? And to places such as MIT and such? Creating solar and wind generation is crucial right now. I know these entities are getting some funding, but I mean granting them some serious stimulus money to bring products on line ASAP? That would have my support.

GM? A lost cause? Not sure, but they did kill the electric car a number of years ago...Innovators, they are not.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:35 PM

^^
That's what Obama did in part with the stimulus bill. Perhaps not enough, perhaps too much, depending on who you are.

More generally, he seeks to use government to help businesses make that transition.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 PM

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but there was money and tax cuts in the stimulus bill to do just that. I suspect that in the next budget there will be additional money for research and development of alternative energy.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:17 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Great! I dream of a green WPA!!

I envision our working folks (and I'm one of them!) rolling up our sleeves and building green, sustainable products. Planting thousands of trees. No, make that millions of trees.

Getting our citizens outdoors and onto bicycles....pedal power! I want a pedal-powered washing machine!!

Organic gardens for all, especially efficient square foot gardening...I want a mini-greenhouse so I can grow all year round.

Okay, I'm being a bit silly. I go to great lengths when avoiding the writing project waiting for me...

Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Great! I dream of a green WPA!!
One of the things that astounds me about the global warming deniers is; so what if its a hoax. If the U.S. can develop a cutting edge alternative energy industry based upon the fears of global warming and high oil prices, all the better. If global warming is a hoax and we can make a shiite load of money off it, why should be care if it's true or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies