Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:00 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Any Republican who wants Obama to fail to get his policies through does it not because they want the United States to collapse and die; they want to prevent the collapse of the United States. It is not about hatred for Obama, it is for love of our country. When you love your country, you do not want to see it destroyed.

We have seen what happens when communism takes over, so we cannot afford to just sit back and watch it happen. Unfortunately he has done so much damage already in this short time that it may take years to repair his mistakes that have been made already.
Prevention would mean Bush was never a contender for a chair because he was never qualified from the onset. Manifestly unsafe voyage.

I find the bolded portions of this statement to be the meat and potatoes of hubris killing the republican party, and directly responsible for the calamity they've now assigned blame on Obama as authoring. Of course their party is entirely an empty suit innocent bystander for everything we see today.

There is no arguing with people so convinced of perfection, sages on the mountain, infallable, blinded by their own light. A one party country they'll orchestrate by hook or crook to 'save me' from my own choices because it is not enough for them to live their own lives. They mean to make others live IAW their scripture like taliban. Save me from actually thinking about issues vs pre digested conclusions from their 'experts'. Save us all by annihilating debate, end all attempts at compromise/ diplomacy, and impose their will to the detriment of the constitution. The change they fear is that we just might live up to our constitution. Isn't that horrible?

Funny, that sounds more like corrupt communism/facism to me.
Will they learn to fear themselves when they finally look in the mirror?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,518 times
Harborlady I noted it sounded like you wanted to have a one party government yourself.

...to be the meat and potatoes of hubris killing the republican party...
....A one party country they'll orchestrate by hook or crook to 'save me' from my own choices because it is not enough for them to live their own lives...

Interesting

Old 03-15-2009, 12:12 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
The original poster seems to be referring to Rush Limbaugh's statement, "I want Obama to fail", which is perplexing to outsiders looking in.
Agreed. There are a lot of people out there who haven't listened to Limbaugh. You hear those excerpts, and you gasp. But when you listen to the guy, it's a whole other story.

I don't see how Democrats can be happy knowing that their tax dollars are going to fund blueberry research, Hollywood studios, the National Endowment for the Arts, or astronomy in Hawaii. None of those things are stimulating any economy I've ever seen. You just can't.

But the bigger and more burdensome government programs that are more than just one-time dole-outs are even more foreboding. You can't escape the burdens of those programs. Time has shown they never go away. The New Deal? It was supposed to go away.... Didn't happen.

As a 20-something, I see a lot of naive fools in my generation who are latching onto these big government programs, all the while failing to look around and realize that there aren't nearly enough of us to feed the expenses the Boomers are about to begin to incur. It's got the potential to be a very ugly lesson.

Last edited by CMartel2; 03-15-2009 at 12:27 AM..

Old 03-15-2009, 12:18 AM

380 posts, read 1,058,768 times
Here are the reasons-just my take on things.
1. They just don't like democrats in charge-and yes I feel this is the main reason-not race.
2. They do not like some of the cabinet choices Obama has made, as you have seen, many have had tax evasion issues and other stuff not so cool with the law. This angers folks who kept hearing the "change" cry over and over again. They think democrats are hypocrites-calling Bush and co. crooks, but ignoring themselves.
3. Defeatists, doomsday folks and other negative thinkers-who have no right to wish for our nation to crumble-and to them, I say-leave! I am not an Obama fan, but an Obama led America sure beats most of the rest of the world.
4. Racists-yes some are still out there.
Okay, since i went after others, I will lay my cards on the table so to speak.
I do not want Obama to fail as a leader, some of his policies I want to see halted or voted against by congress since I do not believe many are fully supported by America. I do want to see Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid fail as leaders in the House and Senate-mainly because i know they support legislation that would make President Obama look conservative.
Finally, the election is over, people have a right to speak out, maybe I am old school-but I still think wanting your president to fail or worse is unpatriotic. I didn't vote for him, but I cannot stand against him. I can disagree with some of his policies-and as of now, many I do, but until November 2012, when we can either vote him out or reelect him-he is still my president. I am proud of my country, and in being so, I cannot wish the president to fail in such a way it would bring about the downfall of this land. I guess some of you think this is a weak stand, as of now, President Obama has not done anything that violates the Constitution, if he ever does, then that is the time we have a right to question his right to govern and to speak of his being removed through impeachment. Until then, stand with your nation-it needs everyone to work at getting it back in shape.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Harborlady I noted it sounded like you wanted to have a one party government yourself.

...to be the meat and potatoes of hubris killing the republican party...
....A one party country they'll orchestrate by hook or crook to 'save me' from my own choices because it is not enough for them to live their own lives...

Interesting
Bub, I'm neither republican nor democrat. I am centrist. I do not yet have a party of my own. I'm sick to death of the nasty fighting that goes on between the two monoliths that are republican and democrat. You trample anything in your way if it suits your objective and frankly I've been tempted to shoot you both to put the whole country out of our collective misery.

Please do review all of my posts and read for yourself my efforts to smack some semblance of reason into whatever sickness has taken hold of republicans. You're not republican, you're just wearing the GOP cloak for an agenda that has nothing to do with the founding principles of that party. Those founding principles I could agree with in large measure. I've voted republican, and often, in a BLUE state. Still think I'm your enemy? Paranoia party?

Objective outsider germany--- are you reading this discussion and seeing sanity happening? What mind control spell were my brothers put under, and by what means? I retrace steps to see where it started, and Rupert Murdoch airwaves seems the only common exposure they share. Their fixation on 'enemy combatants' seems to be instructing them how to embrace the behavior by plotting against their own family. We appear to be having a national psychiatric emergency.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,518 times
I am an Independent. So if you shoot em both..youll still miss me

Old 03-15-2009, 01:21 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
Agreed. There are a lot of people out there who haven't listened to Limbaugh. You hear those excerpts, and you gasp. But when you listen to the guy, it's a whole other story..
I'm sorry but I have to dis agree with you. I used to listen to Limbaugh for years when I used to drive truck for a living. I always thought he was entertaining but never thought that people actually took the guy seriously. I mean the guy is nuts, what does that say about the people that actually take this guy for his word. You look up almost anything this geystates to be fact and you see just how far this guy stretches the facts.

Quote:
I don't see how Democrats can be happy knowing that their tax dollars are going to fund blueberry research, Hollywood studios, the National Endowment for the Arts, or astronomy in Hawaii. None of those things are stimulating any economy I've ever seen. You just can't..
Democrats can be happy realizing they understand that most of this rhetoric that you are saying is a stretch of the truth at best. If you don't bother to understand why they are doing it why wouln't you try to understand the economics behind it, if you are going to comment on it.

Quote:
But the bigger and more burdensome government programs that are more than just one-time dole-outs are even more foreboding. You can't escape the burdens of those programs. Time has shown they never go away. The New Deal? It was supposed to go away.... Didn't happen. .
The purpose of the stimulus is to get people to spend. Research shows that the biggest stimulus is in programs like WIC that frees up money for other things, and historically results in more spending and stimulus than tax cuts, ten fold. I realize this goes against what those right wingers say on the radio and tv but look it up, the CBO is a good source.

Quote:
As a 20-something, I see a lot of naive fools in my generation who are latching onto these big government programs, all the while failing to look around and realize that there aren't nearly enough of us to feed the expenses the Boomers are about to begin to incur. It's got the potential to be a very ugly lesson.
It is going to be an ugly lesson but you might be surprised that the lesson may go against your ideology. There are different beliefs in economic schools and although Obama is taking a bit of a centrist way he is still following ( somewhat) most proven way.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
I am an Independent. So if you shoot em both..youll still miss me
I'll need 3 bullets then, since you've been contaminated by the same mentality. I helped build that party of yours when it was a wee pup and shamed to see religious right use it like a puppet for their bidding.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:44 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,765 times
Hoover, Carter and Obama didn't reach out to the business community, the small investor, the inventors, the entrepreneurs, nor the other's who keep our economy moving.

Didn't Carville already say, "It's the economy STUPID!".

Old 03-15-2009, 01:54 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Hoover, Carter and Obama didn't reach out to the business community, the small investor, the inventors, the entrepreneurs, nor the other's who keep our economy moving.

Didn't Carville already say, "It's the economy STUPID!".
Thats funny I just watched Obama in a meeting reach out to the business community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies