Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:11 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,576,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
mental_complex

The discussion is about the 21 million plus non-hispanic whites who currently live in poverty and the reasons for their existence. The only time that non-whites come into play is in the removal of the standard arguments that cause of contribute to the poverty of ethnic minorities in the U.S, because if those government programs, asocial behaviors etc are the rational, then surely a class of individuals who do not suffer from those issues of causality would be free of poverty, yet instead we fine a significant number of white Americans living in poverty with no explanation other than their own personal failings.
How do white people living in poverty have different "reasons" for being in poverty than non-whites? You sound like a racist with your posts. Your post is chock full of generalizations.
What exactly is "the standard argument" on why non-whites live in poverty as compared to whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:16 PM

568 posts, read 1,474,768 times
Quote:
Again, we are not talking about comparisons of whites vs non-whites. We are talking about poverty in white America.

Think of it as a sociological examination where we look at poverty by controlling for race. If the conventional wisdom around these parts is that African Americans are poor because of social programs, a false sense of victimization then when those issues are removed we should expect not to see poverty. So what parameter is a better indicator of such a premiss than to look at a sector of the population that doesn't share that history.

In short, how does one account for 21 million whites living in poverty?

Oh

Old 03-15-2009, 05:19 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,311,564 times
Quote:
Why are there 21,922,000 white Americans living in poverty? Is it because failed liberal policies? Is it due to a sense of victimization? Is it because white organizations have convinced these people that they can't succeed? Is it a matter of their rural dialect which keeps them from being taken seriously? Just what seems to be the problem?

And, why is it that in urban American in Real Americaâ„¢ poverty rates are higher?
it's because we're dumb honkeys. no edumaction, no job, no home, no retirement, it was all taken away by dubya, thanks george.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:21 PM

877 posts, read 2,760,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
How do white people living in poverty have different "reasons" for being in poverty than non-whites? You sound like a racist with your posts. Your post is chock full of generalizations.
What exactly is "the standard argument" on why non-whites live in poverty as compared to whites.
The point that I believe the thread is about is stereotypes and an examination of how someone can stereotype a race of people based on a subset that may be experiencing poverty but will not do the same for another race of people, based on a subset of that race. I could be wrong, but that is how I see it but it appears that instead of discussing the OP's question it is turning into another "look at the statistics and they prove we are doing better then the Black people are" thread.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:23 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,290,720 times
How does one take 21 million and come up with 44% in a nation of 300 million that is 70% white?

(300M * 70%) / 21.5M = ~10.5%, which is consistent with the Census stats. Where does the 44% come from?

If the 44% is the number of poor whites out of the total number of poor, then you did not weight the numbers for population. Not even you could be that ignorant or disingenuous. Could you?

Old 03-15-2009, 05:23 PM

932 posts, read 1,672,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
wtf? Your people? Way to be racist. idjit.

"The US Census declared that in 2007 - 12.5% of all people, [34]including
- 10.5% white people [35]
- 25.5% black people [36]
- 21.5% all Hispanic people of any race, [37] lived in poverty."
LOL thanks...but the links speak for themselves......wake up!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:31 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,576,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
The point that I believe the thread is about is stereotypes and an examination of how someone can stereotype a race of people based on a subset that may be experiencing poverty but will not do the same for another race of people, based on a subset of that race. I could be wrong, but that is how I see it but it appears that instead of discussing the OP's question it is turning into another "look at the statistics and they prove we are doing better then the Black people are" thread.
I get the OP. I don't think it is a very good argument. Shes using stereotypes not facts about why people live in poverty. I don't think race has much to do with it. Education and life decisions would have more to do with it. If everyone graduated High School whether it be Black, White or Hispanic, poverty rates would surely go down.

I think these kind of threads are just race baiting.

And when is it OK to say "your people" when referring to whites? Lovemiiorhate miiiii?????? I think you need to wake up.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,885,055 times
Well, for Whites, a lot times the reason for poverty is the same, not enough acquired wealth and not enough education. Some, however, as a result of Vietnam or the recent economic downturn. So, like all people, the root causes are pretty much the same. Except, for minorities, wealth in previous generations was pretty much not allowed, for poor Whites, they simply could not obtain it...it was however, allowed. Blacks could not buy a suburban house in the 1950s in certain regions, regardless of how rich they were. Whites could, if they had the money. This statistic should not be suprising since Whites do comprise the largest share of our nation's population, thus logically would represent the largest segment of those in poverty. However, since whites less likely to be in poverty. This is because Whites typically have acquired wealth to build upon. Blacks and Hispanics do not, and are not afforded with the same chances a lot of times.

I guess I'm saying, in general poverty is a shame regardless of race...but we should not discount how racism has played a role in poverty...now racism is declining, but classism is the new racism. Poor whites, this time, are lumped in the same group as poor Blacks...just poor. This has sparked increased racial tension, since Whiteness was the ticket to being seen as at least better. So, in order to hold on to any sembelance of prestige, some poor Whites are turning to racially motivated acts against minorities.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:40 PM

15 posts, read 20,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I guess I'm saying, in general poverty is a shame regardless of race...but we should not discount how racism has played a role in poverty...now racism is declining, but classism is the new racism. Poor whites, this time, are lumped in the same group as poor Blacks...just poor. This has sparked increased racial tension, since Whiteness was the ticket to being seen as at least better. So, in order to hold on to any sembelance of prestige, some poor Whites are turning to racially motivated acts against minorities.
Have you checked our crime rates lately?

Blacks are 13% of the population but commit 52% of all homicides and even more violent crime. There is next to no White-on-Black crime compared to Black-on-White... How many Whites rape Blacks compared to Blacks raping Whites?

What about the Channon Christian case? What do you think would happen if Whites did this?

Whites are told we're evil blah blah blah by the P.C Media Controllers who would reject the same policies they promote in the U.S in Israel. But if anyone actually knew this country's true crime rate I feel there would be an uproar.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM

568 posts, read 1,474,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatescape View Post
Have you checked our crime rates lately?

Blacks are 13% of the population but commit 52% of all homicides and even more violent crime. There is next to no White-on-Black crime compared to Black-on-White... How many Whites rape Blacks compared to Blacks raping Whites?

What about the Channon Christian case? What do you think would happen if Whites did this?

Whites are told we're evil blah blah blah by the P.C Media Controllers who would reject the same policies they promote in the U.S in Israel. But if anyone actually knew this country's true crime rate I feel there would be an uproar.
There are more white serial killers and terrorist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies