Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:16 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I wonder if these people are the same people who have been run the Nigerian Prince Internet scams in the past. Seems like the Nigerian scam industry may have shifted production.
Interesting point actually and something plausible to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
By OP I meant Originating PostER not just the post. But the poster and the post don't talk about the kids but immediately talk about the connection to Palin.

Look at how many posts here are attacking/defending the political aspect of this issue rather than the human.

Why did you not rail against them?

Anyway, my post was rude and impolite, and I want to apologize to you.

It won't happen again.

Yes, I did bring up Palin due to the recent flirtation with a similar circumstance. An American pastor in a Christian church blessing witch hunters isn't something one sees everyday, so thus is deviant from what is considered by most as mainstream.

Yes, I do point out the political aspects to this as unlike any church I have ever attended, I haven't come across any personalities such as Palin's pastor, or Wright, or Hagee, or even exorcisms, witches, and demons.

Now you say there is no such thing as Christian paganism, and that is your belief, but apparently it does in fact exist in many parts of the world such as in Africa and South-Central America. Whether or not you consider these people to be Christian is your belief, but those people certainly seem to consider themselves Christians.

Now as you stated earlier that my post was an "attack upon my faith", I would ask then, have you ever seen me claim that Christianity, Judaism, or Islam were bad, evil, silly, irrelevant, or anything of the sort outside of a description on extremist or deviants? Did it ever occur to you to simply ask or question me on other aspects of my reasoning for such a thread topic? Perhaps I owe you an apology for not articulating myself better, but I do take exception to those who think I'm attacking religion in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:17 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
More death, destruction and torture has been done in the name of religion than anything else. It's not the religion that dictates atrocoties, it is the pea-brained bible toting hypocrites that hide behind their interpretations of the bible's fables.
Why I think that's so outrageous, I think I'll make it my User Title.(Ignorant lack of punctuation corrected, though)

Old 03-16-2009, 02:24 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Wait a minute now, Topper, you seem to be taking a 'don't blame little innocent me' attitude and it's coming across as a cop out.

I mean, granted, these guys are calling themselves Christian, the article did say what the article said (although none of those names are Christian denominations I have ever heard of, and I doubt you have either), and as Randomstudent pointed out we do need to do what we can to help these children.(I hope Randomstudent will let us know what his/her plan of action is and help us all get organized together.)

All that said, I do take issue with the OP and the obvious attempt to flame the Christian faith.

Why don't I use your own words and link to further clarify:

The article you linked to has a headline of

"Children are targets of Nigerian witch hunts".

and your OP is:

"Christian Evangelical's in Niger Delta burn children to death for being witches."

------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that's getting clearer all the time.
Thank you for giving me the oppertunity to present a plan of action on this. Steping stones Nigeria is an excellent charity that provides services for the victems of extremist Christianity in the Niger Delta. They provide shelter and care for victems while at the same time lobby the government to pass laws preventing ritual child abuse. I support them fully and if I made money beyond what I need to rent my attic room and buy food I would donate to them heavily (I am a poor student after all). I would urge you to do the same and look into this on your own for other groups that assist these children. We are all part of this togeather and need to do what we can.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Now as you stated earlier that my post was an "attack upon my faith", I would ask then, have you ever seen me claim that Christianity, Judaism, or Islam were bad, evil, silly, irrelevant, or anything of the sort outside of a description on extremist or deviants? Did it ever occur to you to simply ask or question me on other aspects of my reasoning for such a thread topic? Perhaps I owe you an apology for not articulating myself better, but I do take exception to those who think I'm attacking religion in general.
No, you're right and I should have just left it alone. As they say in the streets: You da man!

Had it been a religious point you were making, you would have put this in religion. Had it been a human rights outcry, you would have spelled it out in the OP. But it's right where it belongs and I am the one out of place. This is human issue with a political spin discussion.

Carry on. but does anyone know of a web site or link where help can be offered for the kids?

I just went through the whole thread and counted how many posts were truly about the kids and there MIGHT be 6.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Thank you for giving me the oppertunity to present a plan of action on this. Steping stones Nigeria is an excellent charity that provides services for the victems of extremist Christianity in the Niger Delta. They provide shelter and care for victems while at the same time lobby the government to pass laws preventing ritual child abuse. I support them fully and if I had money beyond what I need to rent my attic room and buy food I would donate to them heavily. I would urge you to do the same and look into this on your own for other groups that assist these children. We are all part of this togeather and need to do what we can.
Make that 7 posts!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
Thank you Randomstudent... can't give you another rep.. but I will send a donation to the group you mentioned. Thank you for the link!

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Here's what I am TRYING to say---

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS CHRISTIAN-PAGANISM.
Yes there is.
When christians bully their way into mountain villages in far away countries and provide and promise things if the indigenous convert from their native beliefs that have done no harm for centuries, there are christian pagans.
When christians promise education but only if the people register with the state as christians, there is corruption and the people are simply "christian" pagans or animists.

Don’t say it doesn't happen.
I know from first hand experience that it does.

It would be nice if christians were all good and generous and kind and all, but they're not. A great number have an agenda that they play out on others.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:55 PM

105 posts, read 213,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Christian Evangelical's in Niger Delta burn children to death for being witches.

Not everyone that says their a "Christain" is a regenerated person that has entered the Kingdom of heaven in this life. One of the most abused words for the past 1900 years is the word "Christain".

Old 03-16-2009, 03:19 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
No, you're right and I should have just left it alone. As they say in the streets: You da man!

Had it been a religious point you were making, you would have put this in religion. Had it been a human rights outcry, you would have spelled it out in the OP. But it's right where it belongs and I am the one out of place. This is human issue with a political spin discussion.

Carry on. but does anyone know of a web site or link where help can be offered for the kids?

I just went through the whole thread and counted how many posts were truly about the kids and there MIGHT be 6.

No, I'm glad and most pleased you decided to participate and contribute in this thread as you offer a valid position. I make no bones that I rail against extremism, be it political, religious, or otherwise, but I also think that nothing on earth, should be without question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yes there is.
When christians bully their way into mountain villages in far away countries and provide and promise things if the indigenous convert from their native beliefs that have done no harm for centuries, there are christian pagans.
When christians promise education but only if the people register with the state as christians, there is corruption and the people are simply "christian" pagans or animists.

Don’t say it doesn't happen.
I know from first hand experience that it does.

It would be nice if christians were all good and generous and kind and all, but they're not. A great number have an agenda that they play out on others.
Well to the contrary of my previous statement, I don't believe it prudent to start conservations with "the Christians" anymore than using terms like "The Arabs or The Jews". Because to start with, it simply isn't true.

Have more people died on earth for the cause of religion than any other cause, yes, sure. However, do we ever ask, how many people who live in poverty or under oppressive governments have been helped by the charity of people of faith and in this case, Christians?

Beliefs are just one of those two way streets in which all attention is focused on the car cash at the intersection and no weight given to how many cars have actually passed before the collision. While this shouldn't stop one from pointing out the fatalities at the intersection, it should also be relevant to point out how much traffic there is.

If nothing else, I think it is relevant to point out that because of this one thread that people from various beliefs find these acts appalling and on their own accord wish to be pro-active in doing something about it. So what may begin in contentious argument and debate can also lead to positive and constructive action.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Why I think that's so outrageous, I think I'll make it my User Title.(Ignorant lack of punctuation corrected, though)
So it's not a personal attack to call someone else ignorant?

Someday I will figure out how this infraction system works.

As for the larger topic, a very wise, transcended mainstream American-bred man once said to me, "I have never met a Christian. I look forward to it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies