Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:43 AM

32 posts, read 56,199 times

Advertisements

I am as partisan and opinionated as anyone on the planet and whenever I write a letter to the editor, post a message, or just view other people's rants, I am always struck by the level of incivility and the insults hurled. People cannot just disagree with you or rebut your arguments, they have to call you names and denigrate your intelligence, etc. I know very well that hypocrisy is the root of all evil, but why do YOU think we cannot agree to disagree and support free speech even if we vehemently disagree with what is said? We have it in our beloved Constitution but we sure don't really believe in it. Help me understand, please.

Lest you think I am above it, I assure you I am not. I succumb to the temptation (too often) myself. But I really try to argue without personal name calling. I do know it is not easy. I believe there is a difference in thinking someone is an idiot and calling them one; in print or in person. I dislike John McCain's politics but I would never consider calling him names. John Edwards may have become rich by taking malpractice cases, but that does not make him "an ambulance chasing pimp" anymore than George Bush's rise by the good graces of others makes him "an inept dilettante".

Even if you accept the premise that we can freely insult public figures (as most people obviously do) how then do you justify calling me names or insulting me (or anyone else) for my opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 08:52 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademsandi View Post
I am as partisan and opinionated as anyone on the planet and whenever I write a letter to the editor, post a message, or just view other people's rants, I am always struck by the level of incivility and the insults hurled. People cannot just disagree with you or rebut your arguments, they have to call you names and denigrate your intelligence, etc. I know very well that hypocrisy is the root of all evil, but why do YOU think we cannot agree to disagree and support free speech even if we vehemently disagree with what is said? We have it in our beloved Constitution but we sure don't really believe in it. Help me understand, please.

Lest you think I am above it, I assure you I am not. I succumb to the temptation (too often) myself. But I really try to argue without personal name calling. I do know it is not easy. I believe there is a difference in thinking someone is an idiot and calling them one; in print or in person. I dislike John McCain's politics but I would never consider calling him names. John Edwards may have become rich by taking malpractice cases, but that does not make him "an ambulance chasing pimp" anymore than George Bush's rise by the good graces of others makes him "an inept dilettante".

Even if you accept the premise that we can freely insult public figures (as most people obviously do) how then do you justify calling me names or insulting me (or anyone else) for my opinion?
People are angry.

This country really screwed up by re-electing Bush to a second term. What he's done to our country is a disgrace, and the people who didn't vote him into office are hopping mad. Those that did, many of them are lashing out in embarrassment. Sure, there are some who still support him. Why I'll never know, but they're out there, and I'm frankly tired of debating it with them. My logic is if you can't see it by now, you never will.

In my lifetime, we have never had a more war-mongering, fiscally irresponsible, and just generally arrogant president sitting in the white house. It's almost like they have strategy meetings in order to figure out ways to better polarize the nation to take the focus off their back-door aid to big business. It's really a shame that so many people still do not understand what is happening.

Sorry, but I have to point the finger at Washington for being the root cause in the decline of civil discourse in general.

~TT

Old 03-24-2007, 08:53 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
I posted a not too dissimilar thread some time back, here:

Controversial Language

I had hoped it would change some of the discourse. It didn't but there is always hope where there is life!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:05 AM

Default I missed your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I posted a not too dissimilar thread some time back, here:

Controversial Language

I had hoped it would change some of the discourse. It didn't but there is always hope where there is life!
I missed your post on same, sorry. I am new to this particular forum and I had joped for better. Thanks for your kindess.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 AM

Good point, Anger is a very plausible answer for the public figures. Is it just that we "cannot suffer fools" response that makes us call each other names?

Old 03-24-2007, 09:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Yap City may have something there. People are indeed angry; we are so divided these days and each side thinks they are in the enlightened camp.
And sometimes people look for the instant gratification of scoring points off each other.
Of course I believe in free speech--and I do have a sense of humor. It's just that it's too bad when the level of discourse begins to feel like middle school.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:32 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,504 times
I find it humorous. My snarky responses generally go to those who blame "liberals" for all the evil in the world. Since those folk have not sat back and thought about why things are the way they are, or they operate on beliefs, or on what some guy on the radio tells them, it is hard to take them seriously.

When ever I see a vacuum of thought, I step in with a lilt in my step and a snark in my keyboard.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:35 AM

986 posts, read 2,807,705 times
Are you saying people are angry in general or just on this forum? Are you saying that the reason people are angry is because of George Bush? I do not understand.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:42 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,504 times
It is helpful to remember that of all the insults hurled against Bush, they come nowhere the venom expressed against the Clintons.

As far as personal anger. Conservatives view the world with fear. Fear and hate are closely allied, and the both express themselves with anger.

A Conservative is a conservative because change frightens them, never mind that the only constant in the world is change, and the world is creeping, lurchingly sloppily toward greater liberalism. This sort of change is frightening to some, they respond angrily. They like to hate individuals they can label, like the Clintons or Pelosi etc, and broad generalization spectrum folks like "liberals" "Enviros" "terrorists" "illegal immigrants" etc. Any one who threatens the status quo.

They typically follow "leaders" who reinforce their sense of being under seige by black forces.

You can compare them to the highly fractious and leaderless "liberals" who do not follow leaders, nor fear "black forces"

Historically "liberals" have little to fear, the world has been moving their direction sense the founding of the great liberal republic; America

Old 03-24-2007, 09:51 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademsandi View Post

Nice post, I agree with you, especially regarding the insulting people's intelligence. Many of us on this particular forum are passionate in our beliefs, and are very opinionated, however there is a line, and once that line is crossed that person loses their credibility anyway. There are obviously some smart articulate posters but if one doesn't have the ability to get their point across without insults then I question their people skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies