Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times

Advertisements

do you think they should do away with the electoral college and go for the popular vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
I think popular vote would lessen voter apathy because every vote would factually count, but the reality is electoral college is a weighted system that subsidizes rural folks votes so their special handicap votes count for a little bit extra. You know- we're just the fly over states nobody cares about?

GAWD I'm gonna get my butt kicked for that one. hahahahaa

Old 03-16-2009, 08:49 PM

358 posts, read 472,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I think popular vote would lessen voter apathy because every vote would factually count, but the reality is electoral college is a weighted system that subsidizes rural folks votes so their special handicap votes count for a little bit extra. You know- we're just the fly over states nobody cares about?

GAWD I'm gonna get my butt kicked for that one. hahahahaa
You are absloutely correct though. The best we could hope for is for the electoral vote to be split on a a basis or each states popular vote. It galls me that if I vote against the majority in my state I might as well not show up except for the down ballot races. It would make the canididates work in all states for their share.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,287 times
No, I don't think the electoral vote should be done away. I do not want California or Texas deciding the outcome of an election.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
No. The electoral college was setup explicitly to prevent large states like California or New York from grabbing a lock on Presidential elections.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
do you think they should do away with the electoral college and go for the popular vote.
Nope, because it would disenfranchise the rural areas since they tend to be more conservative. If there was a change to a popular vote, why would they bother? Just hand the election to the liberal side on a silver platter.

I would, however, like to see a different way of voting to see who becomes a candidate. I think all states should have nothing but primaries. Caucuses are for the birds -- so is a combination of primary and caucus!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:27 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
While I may not agree with the EC system, it is an important factor of balance in our government, hence its existence... The only problem is states with one large, dominant city(s) usually controls the politics of the state (Georgia, New York, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, etc.).

The system is meant to keep certain states from dominating elections, even though they would with or without the system. For example, CA, NY, and TX are dominating states under the EC. The electoral college is also a projection of republican ideals (representative), as opposed to more democratic ones (direct).

I find it interesting that the contrast shows in our political parties during the primaries.. The Republicans have a winner-take-all system that mimics the national election style, while the Democrats have a more direct approach that leaves the power to a number of individuals, as well as an elite group (superdelegates anyone?).

Of course, the EC is not perfect. Sometimes a candidate can win the popular vote, but lose the electoral college (and no, Gore was not the first!). Either way, the system is there for a reason, and popular vote is not always the way to go..

Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times
I hope Obama gets around to this. Of course they should get rid of it. America is ONE country, and the popular vote should determine who is elected.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
Of coruse this is something that will benefit the bi-coastal liberal elite at the expense of the majority of America.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:58 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
While I may not agree with the EC system, it is an important factor of balance in our government, hence its existence... The only problem is states with one large, dominant city(s) usually controls the politics of the state (Georgia, New York, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, etc.).

The system is meant to keep certain states from dominating elections, even though they would with or without the system. For example, CA, NY, and TX are dominating states under the EC. The electoral college is also a projection of republican ideals (representative), as opposed to more democratic ones (direct).

I find it interesting that the contrast shows in our political parties during the primaries.. The Republicans have a winner-take-all system that mimics the national election style, while the Democrats have a more direct approach that leaves the power to a number of individuals, as well as an elite group (superdelegates anyone?).

Of course, the EC is not perfect. Sometimes a candidate can win the popular vote, but lose the electoral college (and no, Gore was not the first!). Either way, the system is there for a reason, and popular vote is not always the way to go..
That IS a serious problem here in Maryland. Certain jurisdiction with high concentrations of liberal elites, radical liberals, femiNazis, illegal immigrants, and welfare recipients always carry the state. Only 3 out of over 20 jurisdictions in Maryland is Democratic but those 3 control the entire state. Just like Illinois, the liberal elites based in one or 2 cities has a stranglehold on our state. They do not understand that most people in Maryland do not believe abortion should be promoted or that a baby should be able to be aborted until the moment it is born, even in the third trimester. That is the beliefs of the liberals in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies