Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:46 PM

9,876 posts, read 10,787,577 times

Advertisements

Now that Iran has made an act of agression towards Briton and seized the British sailors, Will Briton take the appeasment approach and let their sailors be used as poltical pawns or demand that the little Iranian wackjob return them immediatly, and do what ever it takes to make that happen? Is this good for the U.S, Now that they have provoked a response, it gives us an opportunity to come to the aid of our biggest ally with a multilateral response. Hopefully Blair & Bush will have the stones to call this guys bluff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 08:58 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,965,690 times
I share your outrage. You should read the BBC threads on this in "Have Your Say".... normally the Brits who respond to the opinion forums blast the U.S. for being overly involved and being warlike and provocative. You should see how many British are angry because they think the U.S.A. is leaving them in the lurch on this one.. Now they want the U.S. to issue an ultimatum to free their people.
I have a few thoughts:
-Why didn't the captain of the British warship know the Iranians were there and provide cover? They even had a British helicopter in the sky watching.
-What are the British rules (and American ones for that matter) of engagement? Should they have been better armed so they could defend themselves? I would hope the Americans if faced in such a situation would have resisted.
-Britain's navy isn't what it used to be. I don't think they actually have the power to force an ultimatum purely on their own military capacity anymore.
-I think the British are in a difficult position because this is not only the second time it's happened with Iranians capturing British sailors and marines, but they can't run to the U.S. and ask for assistance or for the U.S. to do the military work for them without looking completely toothless and powerless and dependent on the U.S. - a political suicide pill in Britain.
-I think the U.S. is getting ready to attack Iran and I think part of the muted American response is to not inflame matters more at this particular juncture. We've aped the British in demanding the Britons be let go, but we haven't threatened force. I think the reason for this is that when the Americans finally attack, they are going to go all out and destroy the Iranian navy, air force, take over the skies, decimate their airports and destroy all their offensive capacities including nuclear facilities. From all the sources that purport to know, the U.S. has no intention of actually invading Iran. It will be all air warfare and thoroughly destructive. The Iranian geography and topography make an actual invasion impossible.
But... that's hard to do when oil tankers fill the Persian Gulf and there's only the narrow Strait of Hormuz to get them out into open water of the Indian Ocean. The U.S. is going to go through an escalation phase to allow the gulf to be cleared first of commercial traffic and subtly warn any foreign embassies and interests in Iran to leave in enough time.
I've also noticed that most of the American carrier fleets (two aircraft carrier fleets at present) are outside the actual gulf and in open sea. The reason in my opinion is that they are there to fight when given the command and in the Persian Gulf they are sitting ducks for sunburn missiles the Chinese have supplied the Iranians. It's too risky to have the American fleet actually in the Gulf, no maneuver room or way to avoid the ultra-fast anti-naval missiles. At sea in the open Indian Ocean, they can see the missiles coming and defend themselves with some time warning, plus, launch their attacks. Diego Garcia isn't far either for the B-1's.
I think it's a matter of waiting for the opportune time and I think the British are in on it.
In the meantime, Britain looks toothless and weak and is being humiliated as the Iranians wanted them to be, but I think the reason there's not a military response is because, again, the British don't have the ability to effectively launch one on their own anymore, and, the Americans are waiting to do an A-Z attack on their own time and readiness.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:19 PM

74 posts, read 234,218 times
Its funny how our politicians and news media have been mum for the most part. I bet they are waiting for the latest poll to guide them on this one while hopeing the brits will be somehow be released in the mean time!
Now that the Bush administration has been vilafyed to death, what do you expect the Bush people to do? Sooner or later I think there will have to be some Israely diplomacy in the region, its bound to happen.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVIN-n-012 View Post
Its funny how our politicians and news media have been mum for the most part. I bet they are waiting for the latest poll to guide them on this one while hopeing the brits will be somehow be released in the mean time!
Now that the Bush administration has been vilafyed to death, what do you expect the Bush people to do? Sooner or later I think there will have to be some Israely diplomacy in the region, its bound to happen.
I agree its time for some good old fashioned Israeli diplomacy!

Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,426,713 times
If the US attacks the Iranians have stated that they will rain missiles down upon Saudi, UAE and Qatar. They might hit the new Haliburton headquarters. I doubt the US would risk that.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
If the US attacks the Iranians have stated that they will rain missiles down upon Saudi, UAE and Qatar. They might hit the new Haliburton headquarters. I doubt the US would risk that.
Its a mystery why people think your a liberal!

Old 03-25-2007, 02:34 PM

484 posts, read 1,940,891 times
I smell a set-up. Dubya has been itching to attack Iran for a while now. This situation gives him the perfect excuse.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:52 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,426,713 times
Silas, it is because they assume anti idiocy is liberal.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:18 PM

68,292 posts, read 54,124,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
I smell a set-up. Dubya has been itching to attack Iran for a while now. This situation gives him the perfect excuse.

Another dog & pony show like the Gulf of Tonkin 'incident'?

Old 03-25-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
I'm not sure about the setup part, but I would agree, though I would say it is a perfect "opportunity" vs excuse, not just for us the Brits, but the world to put this guy in his place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies