Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:06 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times

Advertisements

A message to all members of Team Sarah

Team!

President Obama has decided that if a doctor or nurse refuses to participate in procedures they believe are morally wrong, like an abortion, they can be punished by their employer.

We have just a couple of weeks to tell President Obama and HHS how horrified we are that he intends to take away the Right of Conscience for health care professionals. By law, President Obama is required to open this policy change up to public comments for 30 days. Our time is almost up! Send your comments today.

http://www.sba-list.org/HHS

Recently we received an e-mail from Mary, a health care worker and SBA List member, in Virginia, who told us,

“I can assure you that my colleagues and myself will leave the profession rather than be forced to participate in such activities...I will not go against the beliefs I have lived my entire life following. Our country already has a critical shortage of nurses, doctors, and technicians to care for the growing population who require experienced, dedicated workers to provide the extremely difficult and highly technical procedures available. We have to take an oath to 'do no harm' before we receive our license to work. I honor my promises, no matter the cost to me personally."

Mary, we are with you! We are shocked and heartsick about this. Maybe others are too. We are making our voices heard!

This does not apply only to abortion. President Obama’s actions are a direct assault on the rights and freedoms of all doctors and nurses.

Click below to be taken to a page where you can tell the Obama administration to protect the rights of conscience for thousands of people like our friend Mary!

http://www.sba-list.org/HHS

Make your voice heard. Especially if you are a health care professional, but its best that they hear from as many of us as possible.

Doctors and nurses should not be forced to participate in abortions.

The deadline is fast approaching. Please make your voice heard now.

Thanks,
Emily
Teamsarah08@gmail.com

Visit Team Sarah at: http://www.teamsarah.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:11 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,175 times
wow, that is scary. I can see the wrongful termination suits coming now.
I wonder what will happen to hospitals (mostly nonprofits) that won't as a hospital perform abortions?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:17 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Thanks for that - I sent my message supporting overturning this Act, and hope that it goes away soon. My health care should not be subject to the moral idiosyncrasies of every health care provider out there.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:33 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
This is not good! It is not the place of the gov to dictate what and how a DR. treats his patients as far as what procedures they perform in their offices.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
IMO, this borders on Communism. Making people do things that are against their conscience. I thought we lived in a free country.

I guarantee doctors and medical people will not comply.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Arizona is enacting laws that would prevent such actions from being taken.

Regulation of Health Care Professionals is a STATE responsibility. Not Federal

Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
Very touchy subject. I'm pro-life, but I'm also free market. I feel that if you fail to perform services requested by your employer that they have the right to punish you, no matter what those services are. This isn't a case of the government telling people that they must perform abortions, it's a case of the government staying out of the way of the free market and letting private business run their operations how they see fit. Now, we as citizens can, and should, refuse to do business with any employers that force their employees to perform morally objectionable acts. The thought of an industry who's sole business is to promote health and save lives forcing their employees to perform abortions is repugnant.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times
What about the conscience of the PATIENT? Nobody seems to care about that.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 AM

358 posts, read 472,159 times
Janelle 144

Take your religious mumbo jumbo dogma and keep it to hell out of my government. Licenced professionals have a job to do, if they take a job that requires them to act professionally performing a legal procedure and they refuse then they should be fired, period. A pharmacist refusing to fill a perscription for a morning after pill (I know of a case where the druggist kept the perscription) for instance. Case like that with me the pharmacist would be hospitalized for some time, I would be out jail b4 he/she was discharged, if I am going to get in trouble for somthing like that I tend to do it right. Were I do be a car theif for instance, I would not take a 1996 Chrysler K car, I would go for the new Mercedes, punishment is the same.

It is not up to the nurse, pharmacist to pass their moral judgements in cases where the Dr and patient have made a judgement. I think their professional licence should be revolked coast to coast, never to practice their profession again if they pull a stunt as you discussed. Mary needs to be a nurse at an elementary school or old folks home. Should doing their job upsets their delicate moral sensibilities, I can only say they picked the wrong profession, or they need to work in an area of their profession where they will not be put in a position to make the decision that would challenge their moral code.

I support Obama 100% in this. I addressed underlings, not Dr.s. If a Dr. refuses an abortion, that is his call, but it is not up to a Nurse to refuse to do his/her job.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
What other morals are we suppose to be forced to give up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies